“A Place of Joy and Spiritual Rejuvenation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Paddler's Lane Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Confluence
Paddler's Lane Bed & Breakfast
You added Paddler's Lane Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
255 Paddler's Lane, Confluence, PA 15424   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Confluence B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
“A Place of Joy and Spiritual Rejuvenation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

A Place of Joy and Spiritual Rejuvenation

My husband and I wanted to get away at the last minute and although Paddler's Lane was a little below our price range we became attracted to it nevertheless. After our arrival I felt thankful because we didn't compromise on quality and this choice turned out to be a great value. I am not so young (50), so I've had various opportunities to explore, and I've stayed in cheap, humble rooms in Bali and Korea as well as grand and posh, palace-like accommodations in Greece and Egypt (and much in between such as not so nice but expensive hotels in Japan and western Europe). In the US alone, many hotels and two other B & Bs.

The good will and generous spirit of Dan and Robin (inn keepers) might have been contagious. Or maybe the surroundings were just so serene and uplifting. All the guests staying there seemed good-natured and easy going. A family staying in the chalet even brought home-made cookies to the house and left it on the kitchen table for everyone to enjoy. Robin was gone for a pottery show at the time, but we found Dan to be genuine, warm and lovable, easy to befriend. Dan and his helper April were both extremely accommodating and eager to please.

The bat houses were a delightful surprise, as I learned they ate mosquitoes. The bats were fun to watch. At dusk, I was standing by the thick of brush that covered the river, and I was amazed I had not a single mosquito bite!

I agree with many reviewers that the place had spectacular beauty. Driving out of Paddler's Lane in the fresh air of morning gave me a better "high" than from the best coffee.

What my husband and I appreciated the most about Paddler's Lane was the gorgeously lush setting by the water and relaxed and comfortable feeling of this home. We also had to have a private and pleasant bathroom with nice towels. The breakfast was not gourmet or top notch, but substantial, generous portions with enough protein sources and variety to start the day. Considering what we paid, our breakfast was great. Paddler's Lane is not where I'd go to get pampered (though the idea of pampering may vary for everyone) but an ideal destination, to indulge in peace and luxuriate in nature. Such ethos blends into the casual, friendly, and outdoorsy atmosphere of Ohiopyle, Youghiogheny, and Laurel Highlands which offered fabulous sights and scenes. No wonder Frank Lloyd Wright had been inspired to create such lovely homes breathing and expressing nature. The town of Confluence, though subdued, had an interesting character of its own. We loved Paddler's Lane and look forward to going back when we want to hide from all the noise and thoughts of the world.

(Since there has been discussion among the reviewers about the trains I'd like to contribute my own experience. The trains did not come by often. When they did they passed by fast enough and weren't loud enough, that they were never intrusive or aggressive. Maybe in a city or in an industrial town, trains might have seemed less exciting. But in that setting of tranquil mood and abundant nature it added a colorful dimension to all the other possible sounds, of winds, movement of the trees, chirping insects, massive droplets of rain. Those trains only made the place more dynamic and alive. The sound first started with a low, mysterious rumble to pique my curiosity (Is it the wind? A start of a storm? Something else?) until it became clear and there was that ah moment, then approaching steady and solid its horn blew a long consonant tone. Sometimes the train just swished on by without announcing itself.)

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Circleville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

Paddler's Lane was our first stay in a B&B and I must stay with sincerest honesty that it exceeded our expectations. I can not think of a single thing that Dan & Robin could have done to make our stay better. The accommodations were lovely, the room was perfect, the glowing fireplace was very romantic, the trains were fascinating and your husbands' cooking and conversation was enchanting. Our only regret was not being able to stay a second night. Thanks to both of you for sharing your little slice of heaven here on earth. Beth & I plan to return in the future, my only wish is that it could be in the near future.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

We used Paddler's Lane Retreat as a base for a spring destination wedding. While most activities took place at Paddler's Lane Retreat, we had “field trips” for some attendees to local attractions (Ohiopyle State Park, Falling Water, biking, fishing, rafting). We reserved both lodges for the weekend for family and wedding party use. Many friends camped in the campground area. Robin and Bernie were wonderful to work with. We visited Paddler's Lane Retreat many times while planning for the weekend and the campgrounds were always well kept. For this event Robin and Bernie really went “all out” to make the grounds even better than normal. When we planned a meeting with a contractor (caterer, rental company) Robin was present to answer any questions related to the campground. Both Robin and Bernie took the time to talk with us on many occasions, helping to answer our questions and providing good ideas for the weekend. The large number of people that attended the weekend were easily accommodated at Paddler's Lane Retreat. Over the course of the weekend, the caterers were allowed to use the Main House for Friday night and Sunday morning meals. Robin and Bernie allowed us to set up a 40 x 60 tent for the wedding reception and catering, and another area for the outside wedding ceremony. On Saturday, an area was provided so the caterer could easily get equipment to the tent. Parking for guests was provided adjacent to the camping area. The bathhouse was kept clean and well stocked throughout the course of the weekend. The weekend was a huge success even getting a celebratory “toot” from the train that passed by after the ceremony.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Newtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

A bunch of us tour on motorcycles. Since there are 10-25 of us touring together, we need a decent-size lodge. We've been to all sorts of places, crude hunting lodges, state park cabins, and occasionally a nice place like this. But this definitely topped all - it was as nice as my own house, tastefully decorated, well laid out, and just generally welcoming and comfortable.

There were 17 of us on this trip so we rented the entire house. Most had to stay in the upstairs bunkroom, which is a converted, low-ceiling attic. You have to walk around bent over at the waist. But it's well fixed up, and we were only sleeping up there anyway, so not a big deal.

The trains were somewhat noisy, but as others have said, the house is decently soundproofed. When I'm with a bunch of snorers I wear earplugs anyway, so I slept soundly.

In the main areas, the kitchen is excellent and fully equipped. Great view of the creek. The living room is mondo comfortable, good stereo, and the fireplace makes it a great place to relax after a long cold day on the motorcycle.

• Stayed October 2010
Gaithersburg, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

Although it is slightly off the beaten path, Paddler's Lane was absolutely delightful. The property was beautifully kept and the open space made it so easy to relax. Their people were wonderful. It was centrally located to Frank Lloyd Wright's "Fallingwater", the Flight 93 Memorial, Cucumber Falls and the Casselman Wind Power Project. It was as close to home as any place we have ever stayed.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

We stayed in both houses at Paddler's Lane for our wedding weekend in the Laurel Highlands. I had camped at Paddler's Lane many times before that and loved the open meadow setting near the river (and the bat house - so cool!) For our wedding we needed a place to house about 15-20 family members and another 50 or more campers. This was perfect! The houses were more luxurious and comfortable than I had expected. We found everything we needed in the kitchen to cook good meals. The large loft in the main house was perfect for me and my 7 siblings, we felt like being kids again. This is a very special place that you will want to return to.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

We stayed in the Chalet - a 2 BR/2B with loft and great private porch/deck, full kitchen and very pleasant home. We wondered what the carpet on the walls and ear plugs were for . .. . until we experienced our first passing train! Inside, the house is nicely sound proofed -- despite the closeness of the track (right across the road), there was just a pleasant rumbling (well, if you ignore the whistles as it approaches town about 1/4 mile away). Outside, though, when trying to picnic on the deck, the noise was too much for conversation and comfort, and the trains run frequently - mostly freight but 1 or 2 times a day it's an Amtrak rumbling by, so we opted to stay inside for our meals or head off to the many, many lovely parks (Ohiopyle State Park, in particular). The sounds of the river, which is also nicely right behind the property, really can't compete with the train noise unless you're right at the river bank.

There's another large house on the property, and plenty of camping grounds with extra nice showers and such (although I personally would struggle with the train noise). Up the hill, and across the tracks, is a farm or something that raises peafowl. If you've not experienced their "calls" it's something you'll probably not forget. Mixed in between rooster calls, the AAAARRRRAUUUUKKK! call of the pea fowl is quite the thing.

The best thing about this property is really location and interior comfort. While the town of Confluence has limited/no real social activity, it's right at a trail head, very close to Falling Water, Ohiopyle State Park (really amazing). The Lucky Dog Cafe has good food and live music some evenings if you're looking to stay close to your base.

The rear bedroom (facing the river) is nice and quiet; the front bed room bed needs something to quiet it's squeaking -- every movement brought new squeaks -- maybe that's really what the ear plugs were for after all.

Bring soap and paper towels -- unless it was just overlooked for our stay, neither shower had soap and we couldn't find any paper towels. This would have been handy for the kitchen -- or good to know in advance. Maybe we just overlooked it.

Overall, this is a nice place, nice location and -- really the trains were kind of fun after all.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Paddler's Lane Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!