“It's a bed not a breakfast!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of River's Edge Cafe Bed & Breakfast

River's Edge Cafe Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Confluence
River's Edge Cafe Bed & Breakfast
You added River's Edge Cafe Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
203 Yough St, Confluence, PA 15424   |
Cleveland, Ohio
“It's a bed not a breakfast!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We were biking from Pittsburgh to Washington D.C. - camping and B&B's along the way. Excited to stay at the River's Edge because we had eaten at the Cafe a half dozen times or so. The food and service was always above average. Arrived after riding 30 miles on the trail - so we weren't too tired and we were aware that the Cafe was closed. As we rode up to the house another couple that was staying there gave us the low down on what do do. The four of us unloaded our bikes and stored them in the secure garage (that was good to have) and entered the cute little cottage. There was not an innkeeper on the premises - which is fine - we have had similar experiences in the past. We saw bananas on the table - nice after the days ride. In other instances at other B&B's we've had fruit, cookies and lemonade with a welcome note to make ourselves at home. So the banana's we thought were to welcome us and to eat when we arrived. They were really for the mornings fruit!! The note on the table asked us to call (no phone service) or go down to the yellow house and let the inn keeper know we were there. So we got organized and went down to check in. That all went fine.

My complaint - if you call yourself a B & B you should really come with a cooked hot breakfast. NOT a half eaten box of Cherrios and a box of Raisin Bran for our breakfast offering. There was also some canned juice in the frig and an opened container of milk. While we were gone for dinner the inn keeper left some nice muffins on the kitchen table - those were suppose to be used with the bananas (that we ate) for our breakfast. We ate those in the evening since we figured we would have our hot breakfast at Sisters Cafe in town.

I guess if I was staying at a hostel I would be fine with washing my own dishes but really am not excited about doing that when I'm paying for a B&B. And if you are expecting us to wash dishes then you need to leave dish washing soap at the kitchen sink and not hand washing soap. There were six of us staying at the B&B so dishes had to be washed in order to have enough spoons, cups etc.

Overall the cottage was cute, it was nice being next to the river, the town is super friendly and wonderful and the streets are safe enough to ride on. My sister mentioned the couch smelled of cat urine - I didn't sit on the couch so I have no first hand experience with that. The sheets need replacing on the beds - they are not smooth any longer - they have little balls all over them from being time worn.

While biking the next day we ran into a couple that stayed at the Confluence B&B - the Inn Keeper at the Confluence realized all the restaurants were closed in town so offered dinner to her guests ($$), and they also had a hot breakfast with scones. Now that is sounding a little more like a B&B. I realize it cost more at the Confluence but I didn't realize there was going to be such a huge difference. And we had chosen the River's Edge due to our nice dining experiences at the Cafe.

Room Tip: The front room has a bathroom with a sink and a toilet. If you have the need to get up in the middl...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The setting is beautiful, right next to the river where you can watch ducks enjoying the water and the lawn. I arrived by bicycle and applied at the attached restaurant for a room in person. The waitress issued me a room with half bath, I paid for it, and retired for a nap. I was awakened a couple of hours later by a nervous tapping on my door. The owner had come back and discovered that this room had been promised to someone else, and the waitress had got it wrong. So I moved across the hall to a room without a bath but with a sink. This did not disappoint me as you had to go down the hall to shower anyway, whichever room you had. I ate a late lunch at the Cafe and had an excellent Salmon salad on the porch next to the river. I ended up meeting the couple who had booked my original room. They were cycling back to PIttsburgh and I was headed toward Washington. We swapped stories for awhile. The bed was comfortable. My disappointment came next morning at the scant, self-service breakfast you get for the pretty pricey cost of the room. Cold cereal, one muffin, coffee, bottled juice, yoghurt. The "fresh fruit" mentioned by the waitress yesterday was not visible. One muffin was a far cry from the "assortment of home made pastries" she alleged yesterday! The breakfast was actually less than you get at Super8 motels at less than half the price! I had to eat and pay for a second breakfast at the cafe in town.

Room Tip: The room next to the river is quieter. The one with the half bath, you have to listen to the waitres...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This was our second stay here. The place is a little gem: affordable, spotless and with an attached elegant "cafe" that is popular with bicyclists. It is a tiny cottage. The walls are thin and the bath is shared so it's best for guests who are happy to give up a little privacy. We were rewarded for tolerating lack of privacy with a wonderful conversation over breakfast in the cottages' private kitchen one morning. The cottage is directly on the river and is less than a quarter mile from the bike trail.

Room Tip: One of the three rooms has a half bath.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Clarksville, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

It is a nice little cottage out back of an excellent restaurant, BUT....it is not a bed and breakfast. In fact, both the bed AND the breakfast were mediocre. We agree completely with the July 13th review of this place. In fact, hilariously, we were also "served" unripe bananas (perhaps they were the same ones and are plastic so no one eats them?) and a OK muffin. This is not breakfast. It was left in the commons table and we were to help ourselves. No friendly host or hostess to talk to and get local guidance like you would expect at a B&B. The beds are uncomfortable. The rooms are poorly maintained with peeling wallpaper and 1950's inadequate electrical outlets. One has to pull a chain in the bathroom to turn the light on. Come on, really??
It is quaint. It is convenient in that it has an outstanding restaurant attached, into which they clearly pour all of their energy, with the B&B just being a side thing that gets short shrift. By the way, our "welcome" check in was curt and less than friendly. We recommend staying elsewhere in Confluence.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This lovely historic cottage is like stepping back in time to a summer cottage in the 1930s or 1940s. It is charming, cozy, very clean, and has an amazing porch overlooking the river. The attached cafe is probably the best dining in the area. The downside is that all 3 bedrooms share a common bathroom, although there are sinks in each room. The other disappointment is the breakfast component -- generic cereal, canned juice, unripe bananas, and - thankfully a good muffin - are left for guests to serve themselves.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to River's Edge Cafe Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!