“Bad Chinese” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Hatfield Pa
“Bad Chinese”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

One time this was a pretty good restaurant, howeverFood terrible, service terrible wouldn't go again if it was free. There are other chinese restaurants around that food is 100 x better

Visited November 2011

Hatfield, Pennsylvania
“Real Chinese may not be for you...it's not for me.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

You walk in and the decor is really run down...it is dated and a little grungy... You start out by seeing that this place does NOT cater to American Chinese food...almost everyone here is Asian. My boss who came from China loved this place.

The menu and everyone here don't really make non-Chinese speakers feel at home.

Also...there is such a thing as too authentic. The flavors here, even with the dishes I thought I knew, were not to my liking. The fried rice was really greasy. Not good at all.

I ate here at least 10x... Again..my boss loved this place. The fish..while fresh (they pull them live out of tanks) still have a fishy smell...in fact the whole place has a sort of fish market type of smell.

I have been told..but not confirmed this place has been shut down before for health violations...not sure if it is true but I would not rate it as a very clean place.

All said and done...I really don't like this place at all. Maybe its because I like "American" Chinese food...but good food is good food... I have tried food from allot of cultures and places and generally have enjoyed it all if it is good.

At least to me..this isn't good food.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Harleysville, Pennsylvania, USA
“Excellent food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

I typically don't write restaurant reviews, but when I read the previous review I felt I owed it to this excellent restaurant to have a positive review.

Firstly, to the previous reviewer: Real fried rice is not supposed to be very dark brown like it is from crappy Americanized takeout joints. If it truly was white, the only thing I can figure is that they accidentally gave you salted fish fried rice (I forget the name, my husband knows), but in this case you would have been better off as the salted fish rice is DELICIOUS at Golden City. Also... why on EARTH would you order egg rolls from here? The wealth of delicious items on Golden City's menu render plebian egg rolls completely unnecessary. If you want crappy fast-food takeout pap, this is NOT where you should be ordering your Chinese food.

Ok, regarding Golden City. We happened upon Golden City one Sunday night. The place was not terribly busy & it was near close but they still welcomed our party of 7 with a smile. We had spare ribs, the mayonnaise shrimp with candied walnuts, some steamed veggies, noodles for the kids, salted fish fried rice, a dish with scallops, conch & assorted veggies... probably 3 other dishes.. all delicious, hot, well prepared, HUGE family-style portions, not terribly expensive.

Seriously, we usually have to go into Philly's Chinatown for anything even remotely resembling the kind of food we're used to getting in NYC & Toronto, and to find Golden City out here in the 'burbs... they're a total diamond in the rough. You would never expect such excellent, AUTHENTIC (no "general tso's" chicken" here! LOL) Chinese food in Colmar of all places.

Now, if they do Dim Sum and do it well, they'll get 5's from me instead of 4's. :)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Don't waste your time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2008

Fried rice wasn't fried and remained white. Hot and sour soup was light in color and flavor. No attention to the slightest detail regarding even the most basic of Chinese foods. Spare ribs were fine. Egg Roll ordered but none in the box when I got home.

This place is very busy with banquets and affairs to deal with take-outs obviously. We have tried this place many times since they opened in 1986 , and each experience is different but too many are not good. After all these years this will be the very last time. There are too many very good Chinese restaurants within 3 miles of this place - Abacus in Lansdale being one of the best - try that if you want good solid Chinese fare.