“Amazaing Local Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Philadelphia, PA USA
“Amazaing Local Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Our first time there sine the shopping center fire that destroyed their facility.

How delicious, 3 of us sampled all over the menu, the vegetable samosa's were incredible, and all of the hot dishes excellent

Service was prompt, attentive and freindly

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Collegeville, Pennsylvania, United States
“Gave Shagun another try...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This was a return trip to Shagun and I was hoping for improvement from my last visit. Alas, I am not sure if this restaurant truly has the customers in mind. On a Tuesday night, with only three tables occupied, we were again surprised at the casual attitude toward service. No one introduced themselves as our waiter--I believe that our busboy may have taken our order. We waited quite a while for our appetizer (a very good cauliflower dish) and we had to ask for our naan basket which would have been great to mop up the spicy sauce. We ordered a chicken dish to share (no menu online to list the dish here) and it came out less than warm and the rice was cold. When we let another server know, he said he would take care of it in 5 minutes, but after 15 minutes, he brought out another serving already wrapped to go!

The food at Shagun is very good, no complaints. But, these excellent dishes should be served promptly and hot! Also, there was a young boy running around the dining room, screeching and bouncing on the banquettes. I understand that this is a family restaurant, but we go out to eat to relax and enjoy the ambiance and food. We really want this restaurant to succeed, but without attention to customer service, I have my doubts for it's longevity.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
“A Potential Work in Progress”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

There is a lot of potential. The service is improving and the food still needs to be tuned. I want try backin a month or tow to given an update, that is if the Resturant last. The naan really needs improving. It too inconsistent t form order to order as to thickness and cooking method.

Visited September 2013
Blue Bell
“If you have a thing for Indian cuisine you will probably like the Shagun Indian Restaurant.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I stopped in for lunch to try out the new Indian cuisine restaurant in Collegeville.
I decided on the buffet to get an overall opinion. I tried almost everything they had out and was pleased with everything. The offerings went from mild to spicy. I'm not one for really hot foods but I didn't find anything too hot for my taste. And, everything was kept at the right temperature. Too many times at a buffet some hot things are cool and cold things are too warm but they were doing it right.
If I had any complaint at all it would be the constant attention. Take a sip of water and your glass got refilled. There were so many servers running around, I am not sure if we had a waiter. Everyone seemed overly concerned that everything was just right, but this isn't bad for a new restaurant.
It was quiet when we got there but it started to really fill up a little after noon. If they can keep that kind of busy, I'm guessing they are there to stay.
The restaurant seemed clean as can be expected since it was just renovated. The floor should have been replaced instead of just screwed down in loose spots. I hope that someday they get around to doing that.
The next time I have a hankering for Indian cuisine, I'll head back to Shagun Indian Restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Collegeville, Pennsylvania, United States
“Needs fine tuning”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I was so excited to finally see an Indian restaurant in Collegeville and couldn't wait to give it a try. We visited on a Tuesday evening and were hurried to our seats, smack dab in the middle of the restaurant, sandwiched in between occupied tables, while the perimeter tables were empty. It became an issue as others were led in and seated and servers were using the narrow space on either side of us as passage to get to other diners. Our table was bumped and the server's backside was right up against our table while he served to the side of us. There were so many employees coming and going, we were confused. No one introduced themselves as our server, and this did cause a problem when the two items that we asked to come out together even though one was an appetizer, was mismanaged. Then someone tried to serve us someone else's dinner.

I have to say that the food was very good and I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant on that alone, but it was one of the least relaxing dinners I have had in a long time. I felt like I was seated in Grand Central Station! I know that everyone was trying to "help" and give good service, but in fact, accomplished the opposite. But, with so many employees running around, it was very distracting. Some attention to service etiquette would go a long way. I want this restaurant to succeed and bring us Collegevillians many years of delicious Indian cuisine!

• Visited August 2013