“JUST KEEP DRIVING!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Clearfield
Colona, Illinois
“JUST KEEP DRIVING!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011 via mobile

Its actually called the country hearth Inn. Don't let the cozy name fool you. A homeless squatter wouldn't stay here. The rooms were absolutely filthy and stained. This was the only hotel in town with a room left, and we should have left as well. We put a sleeping bag on top of the bed and covered up with furniture pads out of our moving truck, just because we didn't want to touch the linens. GROSS! The only good point to our stay was the bar in the hotel, pretty good food. Other than that, sleep in a crackhouse. You'll feel cleaner and safer.

• Stayed September 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Owen Sound, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

We were on a road trip and couldn't find a room anywhere. The Country Hearth Inn was recommended by another hotel. The rate was $60.00 for 2 adults and 2 children, this is a rip off. The room was disgustingly dirty, the mould and filth were unbelievable. The halls smelled like urine. The patrons ging in and out of the sports bar looked really seedy. No lights in the parking lot. We checked the bed for bed bugs, found none, took comforters off beds and just slept on the sheets as the comforters were really stained. The hotel offered a free breakfast, the kids just had a bowl of cereal and we left. The decor and fixtures are really out dated. This definitely is not a family hotel, it is a no tell motel that should rent by the hour. Country Hearth should be embarrassed to have this hotel in it's offerings.

Room Tip: look elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Morristown, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

We ended up here only because the Quality Inn in Meadville PA cancelled our reservation (see review of that hotel for the story) and this was the ONLY hotel available anywhere in the area located on our route home.

Another hotel in the area recommended we try calling this one because they were booked. We did, and to our surprise, the woman answering the phone said she had one room available but it was a smoking room. Because it was close to 3:00 in the morning and we needed sleep, we decided to set aside our policy of never staying in smoking rooms, Surprisingly, the room didn't smell too bad, at least in the beginning. However, everything else that could we wrong with the place was wrong. The parking lot is completely dark- all the concrete foundations for light poles have no light poles, so you're constantly dodging huge pothole after huge pothole. The stairwell leading to the second floor smelled horrible, the walls were full of holes and the lighting was lightbulbs attached to the wall with exposed wiring. The room had old furniture and that was it- no prints on the wall or anything to make it the least bit welcoming. The bathroom was hideously outdated and the floor was disgusting, but not as bad as the carpet that looked as though it was used to cover the floor in a mechanic's garage for years. The bed linens appeared clean and there were no begbugs so we suffered through the night, but only out of necessity. I wouldn't recommend this dump to anyone and the fact that it's still in business in it's current condition is a mystery to me. I won't even get into the fact that we got charged $75/night for something that should be worth $40... AND is advertised as starting at $40/night on a local billboard. The woman in the lobby must have sensed our desperation and robbed us blind, or the weekend rates are double the weekday rates... which I doubt.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. Anywhere else. A dumpster would suffice.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2010

My family used to stay here years ago. We have always liked the location and the proximity to the Truck Stop. However, it has taken a sharp and rapid drop in the last few years and now appears to be a place more suited to rent by the hour. We checked out a room that was supposed to be ready to rent. It had damp towels on the floor and had obviously not been cleaned in awhile. The hotel smelled and looked dismal on the inside. The curtains were old and the bathroom was horrid. We didn't stay.

This hotel has repeatedly changed it's name over the years: Econolodge, Best Western, Red Carpet Inn, Motel 6, Country Hearth Inn. Yet this rose by any other name still smells. Better hotels are very close. It would be wise to check them out or head on down the interstate. I would not stay here even if it was the last hotel room in the town.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

oh my god,
This hotel is the most horrible,disgusting and full with nasty people.this is the most horrible hotel i have ever stayed in my life.

1) Let me start with check in,2 jurk people are standing at check in, one stupid old indian lady (55 years).she has no commen sence how to talk with guest .she dont know how to speak good english.and have a hard time to understand.she takes 25 min to check me in.while there is no line or not even one customer waiting.

2) i have reserved not smokeing room and she gave me smokeing room ,oh my god room is so nasty and so horrible,none of lamp was working,so i want to front desk,we have a argument about 20 min,and finally she changed my room.oh my god she was so
rude.
3)and again same thing,and finally i decide for check out.
4) i went to front desk,it was just one hour i didnt use anything from room.we have a big argument and she didnt refund my money back,she charged me $55.00 + tax.

THIS HOTEL IS FULL OF CROOK PEOPLE.PLEASE DONT EVER STAY IN THIS HOTEL.
AND I CALLED MOTEL 6 OFFICE AND THEY SAID THIS HOTEL IS NOT A MOTEL 6 ANY MORE.SO PLEASE DONT RESERVE A ROOM UNDER WRONG IMMPRESSION.
ITS BETTER TO SLEEP IN CAR RATHER THAN STAYING IN THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

For one, it is not located where it says it is located. We got lost, luckily in dense fog.
When we finally got there, the front desk person gave us a key and we went to our room. We opened the door and to our surprise? There were already occupants in the room, luckily not doing anything disturbing, but just walking in on people is awkward. We went back to the front desk, anxious to get in an EMPTY room and then go to the pool we specfically booked the hotel for. She gave us a new key, and informed us the pool was 'closed for renovation'.
We went to our room at least hoping that we could go to a nearby gas station, get some alcohol and make the most of the night. But after we left our freezing room, we realized only bars sell alcohol in this little podunk town. We get back to our room and decide, it's been a long drive, how about a shower and then sleep?
The shower was like a sandstorm. I literally could not stand in it, not to mention it was so old and gross that the water sprayed mostly sideways. The bathroom floor was a bathtub by the time you got out ... I mean... so much so that, you open the door and the water flows out into the carpet of the main room.
After I got dressed, I called the front desk to find out ... when is the hot breakfast that both the online site I booked from and the random brochure of the town I picked up said that this motel 6 has to offer, the only full service hotel around, this motel 6.
Oh, no surprise but.. no breakfast.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

This is now a Motel 6. It is a pretty foul hotel. True, I am paying only $54, but honestly, this should be a $30 room. Not that those exist.

The room and halls are free of debris, but overall it's really the pits. My nonsmoking room stinks of smoke, and you can't open the windows. The second-floor "vending area" has only an ice machine which makes a noise but releases no ice, whether into your plastic tub or into the machine's very dirty drain. The bathroom is missing caulk/sealant on the edges of the linoleum, and the caulk around the tub has come partially away...You don't realize how important caulking is until you are looking at the moldy grimy seams of a roadside motel bathroom. Everyhing just looks used and dirty and the flat surfaces of all the furniture is slightly sticky.

I am afraid to put on pajamas in this room, so I am going to sleep fully clothed and hightail it out as soon as I can--with luck this will be before my belongings take on the room's odor and my life the air of hopelessness.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Been to Country Hearth Inn? Share your experiences!