“Epic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Attractions in Claysburg
Type: Ski/ Snowboard Areas, Sports
Activities: Skiing
More attraction details
Owner description: All season resort offers winter skiing, snowboarding, a tubing park and cross-country; in summer, golfing, hiking and mountain biking are popular activities.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Epic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I've been wanting to go to blue knob for a while and based on the 2 most recent reviews below, 2 friends and I decided to make the 3 Hr drive to Blue Knob from DC early Saturday (Jan 26). We were planning on going to Whitetail but switched at the last minute the night before to avoid crowds and in hope of finding a few inches of fresh snow. We arrived at 8:40 am to 6 inches of fresh untouched snow. There was only about 15 cars in the parking lot and parked right outside the lodge, geared up and grabbed our lift tickets and got on the slopes right at opening at 9. The conditions were all your could ever hope for in the Mid-Atlantic. It snowed all day, adding about 2-3 inches. The terrain was the best I've skied in the area (Wintergreen, Whitetail, Wisp, Snowshoe). The trails are definitely longer than anywhere else too. I can see where ice could be an issue on non-powder days as some spots did get icy but eventually got covered again by snow in the afternoon. There was nobody there all day and there were no lift lines. We even got ski some of the glades which was awesome. It was a perfect day. This is the best resort in the Mid-Atlantic by far, when conditions are right. Definitely worth the extra hour and a half from DC. My only complaint is that I wish they had a High speed lift to service the Lower Mountain so I could get more laps in. The facilities were decent, but you come to ski so who cares.

Butler, Pennsylvania
“What a great day on the slopes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Was suppose to go up with a couple of friends Monday Jan 21st, but my friends bailed due to illness, I had been chomping at the bit for months when I discovered Blue Knob in summer and did some hiking and saw how beautiful the mountains were. Well I must say the wait was worth it, I fell in love with the resort on the first run!! Living in Pa any time you can ski over 2 miles non-stop and it not be cross country skiing it's amazing. I was just impressed with the challenging trails and the fact I skied for 6 hours and never got bored. I also have to say the ski lodge was great the bartender Denise was so friendly and helpful with advice about the local area. The locals were fantastic as well all were very friendly and eager to talk about their ski area. I am truly looking at buying a place at the resort this mountain is truly a diamond in the ruff and I can't wait to get back up and ski again. Can't say enough good things about Blue Knob, if you into ritzy resorts and being pampered this resort is not for you, but if your in great fun, a beautiful mountain and the best skiing around .... What are you waiting for? The ski lift ticket are so reasonable got a all day ski pass for $49 on a Holiday non the less .. What a Deal!!

Ellicott City, Maryland
“Great trip, great instructor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Went to the Knob last weekend (Jan 20-21, 2013) and had a great time. I am not into the highend lodges, I come to ski and am not a lounge lizard...Anyway, the conditions were good and most of the intermediate slopes were open. It got very cold on Saturday afternoon and a storm overnight started putting down a few inches of the fresh stuff and they fired up the snow guns. With a week of super cold temps and the word of fresh snow on Friday and Saturday, it can only be better than this past weekend, so I am going back up this weekend!! My son took lessons for boarding (he is eight) and the instructor was great. Him and I were making the two mile run down the mountain by evening on the first day. If you catch the knob with good conditions and are not a snob, you will have a great time up there. If you need catered too, you might want to try one of the smaller resorts near Baltimore/DC. The knob is for skiers not whiners:) If you can ski the Knob you can ski anything around this area...just sayin.

Petrolia
“All day Ski Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This place is awesome! The slopes are absolutely fabulous, and the view is breathtaking.
Only ate in the main cafeteria. The food was okay. What you would expect to find.
Everyone was very friendly.
Plan on returning for an overnight stay. Will update

Kansas City
5 attraction reviews
“Best kept secret in central PA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Long slopes, never crowded, cheap and the family loves it. Food is ok. Quick 30 minute drive from Altoona hotels.

Visited December 2012