“Remembering the Old Nichols Village before new owners.” 2 of 5 stars

Nichols Village Hotel & Spa
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   1101 Northern Blvd., Clarks Summit, PA 18411   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Clarks Summit
south carolina
“Remembering the Old Nichols Village before new owners.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Nichols Village has been sold and what a change! We originally planned to stay 2 nights but checked out after 1. It's apparent the new owners have let this once wonderful hotel go way downhill. The room we were assigned, while on the first floor and quite convenient, was substandard to say the least.....old furnishings, a very uncomfortable soft mattress and very poor lighting. The bathroom wasn't any better. When we arrived, we found no luggage racks....apparently, they don't put them in the rooms anymore.I don't know what they thought we should do with our luggage. Phone was not working so I went to the front desk 3x before they finally brought them (about 1 1/2 hours later.) At the end of the hall was an exterior door that was never locked at night. Poor security. During a 9 day road trip, this was the worst hotel we stayed at plus the majority of hotels we experienced were a lot less $$. I honestly could not recommend this hotel for a stay. I'm amazed at the lack of care by the new owners. A major disappointment.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Old Forge, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I booked a block of rooms for myself and my wedding guests. Upon entering my room I found the bed side tables to be dirty, dusty and sticky. The curtain track for the blackout curtains was falling off the ceiling and hanging. I thought it was going to come down on my head. There was no bath mat in my room and was only given 2 bath towels. So one of the towels I had to use for the bath mat as I was rushing to get to wedding rehearsal dinner. As I went to wash my hair, I discovered that I was given 2 bottles of conditioner instead of shampoo and conditioner. The air conditioner kept shutting off all night long making it very uncomfortable for sleep. The refrigerator had a terrible rumbling noise all night long. 2 light bulbs were burned out in the bathroom and vanity areas. I paid the higher rate for the Presidential room for the space but was also expecting the amenities and features of the room to warrant the higher rate.
I left a note for the housekeeper asking for some more towels and for the blackout rod to be repaired and I was pleased to see both were accommodated.
Sunday morning one of my guests informed me that someone walked into his room in the middle of the night through the adjoining room door. I would never stay here again !
i sent an email to the hotel management outline my disappointment and was not even given the courtesy of a response.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Bronx, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed for one night and that was enough. Hotel and room were ok, stayed in a building away from main area and we could get in without a key. Didn't feel safe . Free breakfast was good and front desk was nice . Not a lot to do here, don't think we would stay here again .

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed here when my husband gave a lecture at the nearby college. We were very worried about the noise from the nearby interstate keeping us up all night but it was quite the opposite - very quiet and very comfortable with all natural, comfortable bedding. It even had a refrigerator for all my GF foods to stay cold in - which I typically have to pay extra for at other hotels but did not have to here. Appreciated the basic breakfast set up with toasts, muffins, jam, coffee, tea for free. Stayed here two times in a weeks time and was pleased with both stays. Would've liked to enjoy the pool and spas but didn't have the time. Staff was friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: We stayed in the rooms in the back part of hotel away from road which were very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Robert12084, General Manager at Nichols Village Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments . I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. We have been doing business with the college for number of years. In addition to the refrigerators we also have microwaves that you can request for you room the next time you are in town
Philadelphia,pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Two night weekend stay. Property is nice but rooms are not up to the price level - not many options in this immediate area so local events will fill rooms in the vicinity quickly. Room decor was OK but double bed room was not 2 queens and mattresses appeared comfy but too springy. Down comforter was nice. Bathroom was a bit long in the tooth. Shower tiling was new. Finish on the TP holders were worn, broken or no aerator on sink and hot and cold handles moved in the same direction and were old. Hot water and water pressure were good. Flat screen TV, mini fridge and coffee maker were nice to have in room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Robert12084, General Manager at Nichols Village Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.The bathrooms that you mentioned are slated to be up graded in 2014 and I hope you will come back to see them
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

This was a Hotwire pick for the first night's stay on a long drive to Florida. We checked-in late and left early. However, the front desk staff were very friendly and nice. Room was clean and had everything we needed. Hotel had good wifi and great little breakfast. I would stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the review. We see many travelers heading to Florida and other points south.I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you on your return trip.
Marshalltown, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Our family of 4 stayed here as a stop on our long journey home. It really was a nice oasis from the road. It is located in beautiful Clarks Summit--mountains surrounding this small town--on the main drag with many restaurants and shops. The staff was quite helpful and our room was very spacious. Comfy beds and very clean. The decor is somewhat dated (some upgrades). Really, no complaints, especially for the price! Although, the workout room is small, dated, and only 1 of the 3 equipment worked. Probably not a deal-breaker for most. The Italian Restaurant on the property has live jazz on certain nights (we didn't get to go). Complimentary breakfast. This hotel is HUGE and has many rooms, with a pool (no hot tub). It has the capacity to accommodate many guests for a wedding or get-together. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with us.You are correct in that we do a lot of groups for weddings asnd other social events.I hope if you stay with us again you will try our full service Spa that is located on the property.We will also be upgrading the bathrooms in 2014

Been to Nichols Village Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!