“Just Dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Clark B&B and Inns
Texas
“Just Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

While staying at The Buhl Mansion, we made reservations for dinner at Tara. The food was wonderful, the service was amazing, the portions were huge and the price was very reasonable. I highly recommend dining at Tara!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

82 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

A family member made reservations for my husband and I... This was an "anniversary gift"... My husband is black... If I had known that this place was a white hood and gown toting place; we would have stayed away and told my relatives to not support the KKK! Just look at their room names:
Wilkes
Confederate Getaway
General Robert E. Lee
Mason-Dixon

This isn't quaint! It's disgusting! And my husband was most definitely not treated with respect by the staff and other guests.... I can't believe that there are still ignorant racists around like the Tara Country Inn owners! You'd think as business owners that they'd want everyone's money and not just white peoples.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
Wilkes Barre
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2009

Driving through western PA on 80, my wife and I chose to stay here and spend Thanksgiving on our move cross country. Well, it is like you would think, a version of the Gone with the Wind homestead. Local celebrities the Winners own this renovated mansion and restaurant, Stonewalls. It is an inn full of antiques and movie memorabilia and run by a cast of women dressed in civil war garb. The food at stonewalls was OK and pricey. The thanksgiving dinner was surreal in the subterranean basement. I felt like it was thanksgiving, 1808!!!! The room was big with a jacuzzi. We were in room that was a cross between 80s bachelor pad and civil war board room. Pretty funny. The indoor pool was fun and the amenities are great. Tour groups go through here daily, so be ready for noise. I felt like I was at Port Authority. Look for the Bruce Springsteen handwritten lyrics to 'Mansion on the Hill'...and ironic choice of song for a multi million dollar hotel!!! Come with your sense of irony.

• Liked — Wacky Destination!
  • Disliked — Gets old quick
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

Having traveled the world this is a great night just a few hours from home. No, it is not Tara but please, it is NE Ohio. Great food, great service and transportation back in time a bit to something a bit like a movie. Room was clean, excellent turn-down service, great view and comfy bed. I can not fault this place for a one-night stay. Excellent in terms of what we paid for. Awesome dinner at Ashley's and the breakfast was wonderful as well. Other pickey reviewers may not travel that much. This place was gracious as well as comfortable.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — No robes, slippers, teapot, safe, etc.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pittsburgh, Pa.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

What a great experience! The rooms were all unique and the staff very friendly. The grounds were in bloom and beautiful and our meals were all fantastic. We celebrated my daughter's last year of college and her 21st birthday by going 'back in time' to Tara. As a matter of fact, we just made plans to go again and bring friends to celebrate her graduation and passing Nursing Boards! I think we have a tradition started and we also include a visit to the Buhl Mansion Spa which is out of this world. I was more relaxed here in 2 days than a hectic week at a beach or resort. JUST LOVED IT!!

• Liked — Unique, historical setting, VERY relaxing and beautiful
  • Disliked — Like everything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2007

Took a group of Southern women here to review this Inn for a possible stay. Took the tour. We were all insulted by the woman in the film (her fake accent). The film was a slam to the intelligent people in the South. It was not representative of the South. This Inn was one of the most unfriendly places we have ever been. My husband and I stayed here years ago and I didn't remember this type of arrogance and stupidity concerning anyone in the USA.

Stayed October 2007
connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

As A member of trip advisor, my husband and I took a trip to tara and Julias bed and breakfast in Hubbard Ohio. SKIP Tara. The best one can say is that the restaurant is very good. Our room Rhetts KingBedded Room was dark, old and the bathroom though sporting a double king Jacuzzi was old and looked dirty. Our phone rang 3 times at 2am ( Acomputer error we weretold at this earlyhour of the morning) At 6am the clock alarm went off. Breakfast was horrible.....Yogurt was sour cream, The Bread was ordinary. Cased butter and grape jelly nothing special nothing was home made and probably nothing you could not get in a 7-11. I wonder why is this part of the select registry?????? If you must stay here try Julias bed and breakfast in Hubbard ohio....perhaps not part of this "esteemed " select registry. Yet it is on its way. Gone with the wind was a wonderful novel which will always have its place in our history. Tara should be a write off!!!!!!

• Liked — Dinner was very good
  • Disliked — The entire atmosphere was playing on a dated theme
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Tara - A Country Inn? Share your experiences!