“so let me tell you a tale of Christmas travel...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn & Suites

You added Quality Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Quality Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   24 United Drive, Route 68 & Interstate 80, Clarion, PA 16214   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Clarion
DuBois, Pennsylvania
“so let me tell you a tale of Christmas travel...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

This year my holiday itinerary took me required me to make a reservation at a hotel for a place to rest my head while in between Clarion and Brookville for family activities, it was also necessary to find a location in that was pet friendly as well. After a quick search online I was left with three choices in the clarion area, to which I decided upon Quality Inn at Clarion Pennsylvania. Reviews weren't terrible and I saw nothing that was overly alarming on any of the sites I use for reviews and therefore booked a two night stay. For this review I will refrain from using names to protect people where I can. However, I do hope something is done to remedy these issues.
Things began with making the reservation via telephone approximately three days prior to my arrival at the hotel. The phone call was placed about 5 am and a female answered who seemed less than thrilled that I even called at all and interrupted her. The usual questions of number of nights and people and so on where never asked. All she wanted to know was my card number, to reserve the room. Feeling slightly put off by her mannerisms, I chose to pay cash rather than giving my information to her. “Fine, but there is no guarantee there will be a room here for you when you finally get here.” Not exactly a polite reception and this was only the phone call. Now I have had quite a bit of experience with hotels and the staff that work at them so I chose to just chalk it up to someone having a bad day perhaps, not necessarily something I did or anything like that. When I told her that I had pets also with me her response was “we only have a room with two queens available, but that’s ok.” Ok? Ok for who? You? Isn't it me who is staying there? Isn't it me you are supposed to be providing a service to? But again I kept my mouth shut and allowed her to continue the reservation process which went without further incident.
When I arrived I went to the front desk as most people do. The entrance was clean for the most part but very cluttered due to a restaurant that is also inside the hotel. As I approached the desk I was not met with a smile or even a hello, but rather a ‘what do you need’. Alright… perhaps you are the same individual I spoke to on the phone. The check in process went without issue except for when she asked how many pets were with me. I answered two, and as expected on further inspection of my receipt they not only charge ten dollars for a pet but ten dollars PER PET. Something the website neglects to mention. This I have slight issue with considering I traveled with small pets, two Shih Tzu’s in fact. My reason for this issue I will explain later. The check in process then went on without a hitch.
I went to the room and opened the door to a very strong smell of WET DOG. When I say strong I mean, as if a dog had just been bathed moments before I arrived. I thought perhaps the smell would dissipate. Now my expectations were low having gotten a pet room, I expected to see possibly pee stains or signs of where accidents occurred. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find none. But there were other hotel issues. When I enter a hotel room the first things I check are the bed and the bathroom. A quick look at the bed showed a few stains on the bed ruffle but nothing significant, and they were made. The bathroom on the other hand was a different story. A quick scan of the tub showed hair on the wall and on the floor. Nothing major and nothing I couldn’t deal with. After a shower and the bathroom filled with steam something on the mirror was revealed that made me chuckle at first but later brought me back and had me in disgust. I saw were someone had taken a finger and wrote “redrum” on mirror so that only after a shower could it be seen. Probably someone with a sense of humor I thought, but then I realized the only way that would still be there is if housekeeping never cleaned the mirror after the last guest had left. Sure enough, tooth paste stains were evident on the mirror and around the sink as well. Now I can’t say perhaps other things were not done but if something as simple as cleaning the mirror was not cleaned what else was not done. So I chose to take a closer look around. I discovered cobwebs in the corners of the room, with bug ruminants still in them, as well as moldy stagnant water that a guest had left in the coffee maker that again housekeeping simply never took a look at. Now I am not trying to sit here and bash housekeeping, they do a thankless job the without them a hotel stay would be a nightmare every single time. But this time someone might have been doing a little less than their best on this room. Remember when I said about the dog charge?. The wet dog smell never left, it lingered throughout the entire stay, and if the heater kicked on the odor became even worse due to the fact of the filters not being changed in how long. Now if the ten dollars per dog was to take special care of the room, perhaps to scrub carpets or something to take the odor of dog out then I would say this is an adequate charge However, I feel this is more of a punishment charge for bringing a pet with you.
The hotel also offers a continental breakfast. I will refrain from the jokes about just which continent, perhaps Atlantis. But overall it’s the same story at a lot of places; toast, cereal, bagel, hard boiled eggs, coffee, etc… but over all this wasn't bad. The staff comments about current events on the other hand could be heard quiet easily which was unfortunately was very opinionated about the events of duck dynasty. Now I’m not going to sit here and pick sides and state opinions here, only facts, bottom line is listening to this different employees opinions would offend ANYONE!
When it was time to check out I again went to the front desk expecting to see the one of the rather poor representatives of Quality Inn and I my expectations were again met with rudeness and distain. No, “how was your stay? ”No, “was everything alright?” nothing… just “checking out? Ok… bye…”and this was in front of someone that appeared to be a manager. Or at least someone with a tie and dress shirt.
This isn't my first stay at a Quality Inn, I've stayed at several, all over the United States. Some nice, and some not so much. This one has me asking, Quality Inn, exactly what is going on here in Clarion? Do you just not care? Or was I just someone who was unfortunate enough to have a bad experience? I eagerly await a response and would love to hear an explanation. I can be emailed at emt4three@yahoo.com should a response be possible.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cary, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

This Quality Inn is right off I80, and near downtown, but the entrance to it is very awkward. The lobby is small but OK. The large two-story building is very spread out and the parking lot is in need of repair.

When we arrived at about 8PM, the lone desk clerk was fielding phone calls from guests needing services (only the clerk was available to perform those tasks) and checking in guests.

Our non-smoking room had recently been smoked in and it stunk. Otherwise it was OK. Bed covers were comfy, but no pillow-top here.

But what do we expect for $65?

The best thing about the motel was the breakfast. Starting at 6:30AM, it had apples, bananas, and hard-boiled eggs. Cereals and waffles, too. Coffee was too weak.

Sure, we'd go back, but would inspect the room first.

• Stayed October 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

I call to reserve a room in the customer service was extremely short and b*****I would recommend calling somewhere else if you want good quality serviceI am sick and tired of s***** customer service wherever I go

Stayed August 2013
Manheim, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The room was clean comfortable clean bed, a large room with two queen beds, no elevator, It could use an update looks a little tired,basic breakfast items I have had better, some in our group said the cereal was stale, reasonable rates, good Mexican restaurant in the motel and easy access to other restaurants in the area. I would stay there again when traveling through,

Room Tip: First floor near pool easier access.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Wyandotte
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Lobby and halls had a bad smell . the exterior of building was weed infested and lots of litter on the grounds .
go in to clarion to toby hill for beer and burgers and county set for breakfast .
clarion river is worth visiting

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Papillion, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Nothing really special with this place, but nothing wrong either. The outdoor pool is large, and the dep end is 10' which is great for jumping and diving. The rooms are spacious, but starting to show some wear. The breakfast was good and well stocked and maintained. I would stay here for a night in the future.

• Stayed July 2013
Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I am giving this hotel a "average" review because it was older and felt a little "dirty". The employees were all nice but the price for "what you get" was very high compared to other place we have stayed along a road trip this summer.

The pool was closed but after complaining they reopened it.

I really prefer a table/chairs in a room when traveling with kids and this hotel room didn't have that.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!