“Kind of awful” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Clarion
Oak Park, Illinois
“Kind of awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

We were driving to New York from Illinois, and decided to stop in Clarion for the night. We booked through Priceline, asking for a non-smoking room. But when we got there, we were told that all of the non-smoking rooms were taken -- except for a meeting room that had a foldout bed. When we saw the room, we just couldn't deal with it. It was a mess, with chairs piled up on each other and ripped carpeting. The curtains were falling off the rod, and it was just dirty and dismal. We left and went elsewhere.

To be fair, this wasn't a "regular" room. But if you're ever offered the "hybrid" guest room and meeting room, keep going.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
KarenMcKi, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Hi Elizabeth. I would like to thank you for letting me know about what happened with your reservation. I am sorry that we did not have a non smoking room available for you. Many times, Priceline does not distinguish between smoking and non smoking and that is where the problem arose. I am not trying to blame them, but they have done this to us many times. I am sure my front desk staff was just trying to come up with a solution for you and the meeting room was the only non smoking room we had left. I apologize again for the situation and hope that if you come back to the area, you would give us another try. We really are a very nice hotel. Our "normal" guest rooms have all new furniture, bedding, linens, lighting, and pillows. I honestly think you would really like our hotel, had we had a non smoking room to offer you that night.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Tionesta, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

My sister and I stayed in smoking room with Jacuzzi tub for one night. I don't smoke; she does. But when walking into the room the first time, it was actually hard to tell it WAS a smoking room. For a hotel that is not new, it was very nice. Clean, and kept up. You could tell the management cares. The room had everything we needed, including coffee pot and lots of towels. The Jacuzzi was big and very nice. Bigger than an average tub (if you chose, you could easily fit two in it). The room had a lot of space and was "roomy". The bed and pillows were also very comfortable. We had a very good night's sleep. There is an indoor pool, but we didn't use it. The front-desk person was very pleasant and helpful. Easy to find the hotel and it is right next to the mall. Nice cont. breakfast.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
KarenMcKi, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for your nice comments regarding our hotel! It is so nice to hear that you enjoyed our hotel. The staff loves reading the comments from our guests, it makes us all feel very happy to hear that our hard work is paying off! If you come back to the area, let us know if there is anything we can do for you. Have a great day!
Franklin, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I was not sure what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised when we walked in. The room was much bigger than I expected and the carpeting was very clean. We got a smoking King room even though my sister does not smoke. Her fist comment was "Wow, I can barely smell cigarettes in here". The staff was wonderful and helpful. Check in was a breeze. I did not hear hallway noise at all and the bed was probably the most comfortable I've ever slept in! There is a small in hotel pool and weight room which we did not use. The breakfast was not just continental but had sausage, scrambled eggs as well as many other choices of fruit, cook-your-own waffles, yogurt, rolls and breads. My only complaint is that the hallways are not well signed and coffee in the rooms is horrible. I was so impressed for the price. We are looking to go back sometime soon just because the room was so nice! It was a great night away for our shopping trip.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
KarenMcKi, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write us such a great review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay. We take great pride in our hotel and I believe it shows! It is always nice to hear what our guests think of us and I am happy that you enjoyed your room, breakfast, and the staff! I do apologize that you did not like our" in room" coffee, I will have to look into that. If you come back into our area, I hope that you come and see us! Have a great day and thank you again for your nice words.
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

We were to meet family at this halfway point. They were unable to join us, but we went anyway. The staff, most notably Judy, was wonderful on the phone while making and changing reservations due to blizzards. This stretch of Clarion itself is a little dreary, but we had a decent lunch at a nearby hotel's Mexican restaurant. We were primarily here for swimming. The pool was freezing and my 2 year old, who loves any kind of water, was telling me about the cold and shivering. I asked if they can control the water temp. No they cannot, and were somewhat rude in response to my inquiry. There was a small lake on the slippery tile floor in the pool room with a wet floor sign in the middle of it. We decided that since there is a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom of the hotel room that we'd go 'swim' there. Due to almost no water pressure and not nearly warm enough water coming out, by time the huge tub filled merely enough that we could turn on the jets, it was barely lukewarm. When we were finally able to turn the jets on, after reading all the posted instructions, there was a terrible grinding noise and the jets bubbled for 2 seconds, then turned of for 30 seconds, back on for two, etc. Then, i noticed chunks of mold from the jets had filled the tub.
I went to the front desk and told Kirsten of this concern. She asked what room we were in and then told me that the tub in that room is broken. She was by no means friendly, but eventually zeroed out our charges and we left.
I wonder why there was nothing posted in the room itself telling us not to turn on the jets, or why we were not told when we checked in that the tub is a potential health hazard.
I also noticed that although we were only in the room for a total of 45 minutes, we could clearly hear running in the room above ours.
Overall, i'm sure it is a fine place, but made for a terrible retreat for our brief family get-away.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
KarenMcKi, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for the problems that arose with your stay. I am sorry that our hotel and my staff did not live up to the expectations that myself and our guests rely on. We are waiting on parts for a couple of our Jacuzzi motors, I wish that my front desk staff would have made you aware of that and given you the option of checking into a room that had a working Jacuzzi. I do hope that if you are in the area again, that you give us another chance to show you that we are a great hotel. Again, please accept my apology.
Pembroke Pines, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I was impressed because I am diamond elite level with choice and I'm usually not impressed with the hotels! This comfort Inn was clean, staff was friendly and very handy to everything! The rooms were nicely renovated and the bedding was superb! Stay here and you'll be pleasantly surprised !

• Stayed February 2014
KarenMcKi, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel! We are happy that you enjoyed our "new look". The new furniture, bedding, and lamps really make our rooms look nice. Our new drapes have been ordered and we are looking forward to getting them hung, which will finish off our new look. Being an elite Choice Hotel member, it was very nice to hear that you were impressed with our hotel. If you ever need anything, while here, please let us know. We want you to come back time and time again! Have a great day!
Allentown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

The staff were very friendly and accomodating. They made our stay very pleasant. The hotel was clean and had nice amenities such as an indoor pool and free daily breakfast. Breakfast was very good. We stayed when it was snowing and the property was well plowed. It's located in a nice area near shopping, restaurants and a movie theater. Not far from I-80.

We will definitely stay here again when visiting our soon in college.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
KarenMcKi, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
I would like to thank you for writing us such a nice review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our pool, clean rooms, and breakfast. My staff works hard to make all of our guests comfortable. When we succeed in doing that, it makes us all feel really good! I am pleased that you will use our hotel while visiting your son at the University. If there is ever anything my staff or I can do for you while you are here, please let us know. Thank you again for your kind words. Have a great day!
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We stayed twice and were pleased with the king size room with the Jacuzzi in the bath. Friendly staff, beautiful welcoming card on night stand and large room. The pool was well maintained as well as the hot tub. The hot/cold breakfast was good quality as expected,

Room Tip: Away from truck parking