“A Hidden Treasure” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hamanassett Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chester Heights
Hamanassett Bed & Breakfast
You added Hamanassett Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
115 Indian Springs Drive, Chester Heights, PA 19063   |
Springfield - Delaware County, Pennsylvania
“A Hidden Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

My stay at the HBB,

Was excellent my husband and I went there to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary 11/15/2013, when we first arrived, we were greeted with a warm welcoming letter, wine and homemade cc cookies that were so delicious an easy written guide to maneuver around the mansion. During our 2 day stay at the HBB the staff was great, kind & very, very friendly as well as the other house guest. The rooms were exactly as they are advertised on their website, the food is awesome, fresh and prepared daily and tailored to your dietary needs in advanced, Glen & Ashley the owner's of the HBB are very hands on with their guest and will help you plan your outing during the day as well as provide activities to attend in the surrounding area. Will definitely be going back in the near future.

You will not be disappointed, not to mention they cater to people with pets and children and the beds are very comfortable I wanted to take the whole bed with me when it was time to leave (slept well)

BTW: Please Follow The Directions On Their Website or You Will Get Lost As We Did (LOL) We didn't follow instructions, Your GPS Will Take You Off Route

Thank You Ashley & Glen for making our anniversary well worth the weekend we had an awesome time and your hospitality deserves a Super 10 and your food is off the charts excellent across the board

Deborah (Springfield, Pa)

Room Tip: Book your room well in advance they go quickly, I chose a room didn't book it and 2 days later t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Carlisle, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Located just off Route 1 (Baltimore Pike) and within easy driving distance to Chadds Ford, Longwood, and other Chester County and Delaware County sites, the Hamanassett has everything one needs for a rewarding stay. Glenn and Ashley are serious innkeepers. By serious I don't mean stodgy: they have thrown themselves into their establishment and have taken extraordinary care to make sure the rooms are beautiful and well-equipped, the breakfast is creative and abundant, and the public spaces gracious and welcoming. The grounds are extensive and include a walking trail. Though only about a half mile from the highway, the inn is quite peaceful. It's the kind of inn you wish you could spend more time at, instead of running around to all those places that brought you there in the first place. But if you need to know anything those places, Glenn and Ashley have it at hand, from sites to restaurants and even to the city of Philadelphia 35 minutes away (not at rush hour!). We highly recommend the Hamanassett.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Garfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

My husband and I booked a room last-minute for our anniversary a few weeks ago. I'm so happy they had a room available, because this place was wonderful. The house is adorable, very clean and inviting; our room was the same. The owners were so relaxed and friendly, and so happy to answer any questions we had about restaurants and things to do nearby. After we checked in we settled in front of the fireplace with herbal tea and homemeade cookies that were waiting in a glass cookie jar by our door. And breakfast was unbelievable- 3 courses, all gourmet dishes, were served to us while we chatted with the other guests at the dining room table- we felt like we were at a holiday breakfast with old friends. We will definitely be back and stay more than just one night- thank you for a much-needed night away!

Bedford, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We are new to the B and B experience and this stay was above our expectations. Glen and Ashley were much better than family and the home itself is its own destination. Greatly appreciated Glens driving directions- restaurant recommendations AND what can I say about breakfast---amazingly presented and just delicious. Ashley- I am waiting for your cookbook and we will return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Madamqueen, Owner at Hamanassett Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit to Hamanassett Bed & Breakfast. We really do take pride in making everyone's visit special. I especially appreciate that you enjoyed my breakfasts. Although I don't plan on doing a cookbook, I'm always happy to give out individual recipes to guests who request them.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We only had one night to stay in this lovely, gracious inn; I hope we can return for a longer visit. It is beautifully furnished and very comfortable. We got a warm welcome and a marvelous breakfast. And they thoughtfully provide scrumptious fresh cookies for the guests and treats to feed their horses. Highly recommended!

Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I've stayed at this B&B on several occasions and have never come away disappointed. The opulence of the grounds starts with a beautiful fountain and coy pond at the entrance. The wonderful sun porch is a cozy and relaxing place to read your favorite book. Indoors, the beautiful antiques and decorations make you feel like you're a guest in a New Orleans mansion. The owners have taken great care to make each guest room comfortable, beautiful and even grand.

The breakfasts are delicious, served on exquisite china. Ashley and Glen treat their guests with southern hospitality and I look forward to returning in the very near future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Baltimore, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed here with my wife in late September 2013 when we decided to do an overnight visit to the Brandywine Valley. We selected Hamanassett based on the location and the excellent reviews. The only hesitation I had was a result of none of the pictures on either the website or on TripAdvisor appeared to be five stars, IMHO.

We arrived late in the afternoon. The actual location is a bit curious...the property is located within, but separate from, a high-end subdivision. We were greeted warmly upon arrival and were given a brief tour and shown to our room.

The room and common areas are attractive and nicely appointed, but nothing at all stood out as being "five star" or excellent. That is not a knock against the place...it is very nice. I just think it is a four star property. I took of one star from my rating, which I will explain below. I have stayed at B&Bs and Inns that I found to be far superior.

The outdoor areas are nice, but once again not spectacular. There are horses in a couple of paddocks and a lawn chess setup, that serves no real purpose other than creating a photo opp. My wife and I had an hour or so to kill on a very nice day upon arrival, but after a quick tour of the grounds we were not tempted to spend it outside. The exterior of the house around the back and sides is not that well kept.

Breakfast was very well done. The coffee and food were great and the service was just right.

Our biggest disappointment, by far, occurred when we realized why there is a very powerful plug-in air freshener (Fabreeze, I believe) in the upstairs hallway. Upon arriving, we were both surprised at the overpowering nature of the air freshener, which reminded me of the scent that you sometimes find in a hotel room when it is obvious that housekeeping is trying to cover up some unpleasant odor. The reason for the air freshener became clear later that evening when we returned from dinner to the unmistakable, and very unpleasant, smell of cigarette smoke permeating into the common areas from the owners' section of the house. We were both somewhat grossed out. Fresh cigarette smoke was also notable in the morning when we walked out of our second floor room for breakfast. It wasn't overpowering, but it was definitely there.

I recognize that not everyone finds cigarette smoke offensive...but we do. For this we deducted one star from the review and consequently we will neither return nor recommend this property. There are plenty of signs in the building reminding guests that this is a "non-smoking" property. I think it only fair that the innkeepers abide by their own rules, do not smoke in the house, and lose the obnoxious air freshener. We would not have booked the room if we thought we were going to be subject to second-hand smoke.

From reading other reviews, it is clear that the innkeepers will get the last word. Regardless of what Is said, trust me that the smoke is there and it is real. We have no bones to pick and didn't have a bad overall experience, but others should be forewarned in case they don't wish to tolerate cigarette smoke.

We were treated nicely and the food was good, but we will not return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Madamqueen, Owner at Hamanassett Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
I appreciate the positive remarks from this reviewer about our service and breakfasts. However, I'm a bit perplexed by a couple of remarks. This review makes it sound like we are in the middle of dozens of homes. We are at the end of the street where you have to drive past six houses to get to our 7 acre property. Once on our property the other houses can't be seen because of all the trees and foliage. While he may not have been interested in the outdoor chess game we have had many guests enjoy playing on it. For those guests who aren't interested in chess we have over a dozen other games for inside the house.

We are a non-smoking bed and breakfast but allow guests to smoke outside on the grounds including our front loggia, the terrace and on the balconies of two of our rooms, including the room that this guest occupied. Unfortunately sometimes guests choose to ignore our policies. We also instruct guests if they smoke to please close the door to the balcony but realize we need to add closing windows if they are smoking near them. In twelve years this is the first guest find our house unpleasant and I am truly sorry he didn't enjoy his stay with us.

Been to Hamanassett Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!