Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Chester
San Francisco
“Never again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

This had been our go-to hotel at least once or twice a year for about 4 years due to its great proximity to the city with free parking and breakfast. The last few times have gotten progressively worse, and this last time was indeed the last time. The hotel is so poorly managed and the staff (with the exception of one gal who works nights) are mostly obnoxious. We listened to one front desk person argue with her presumably teenage son on the phone for a solid 4-5 minutes in front of a guest while he waited for her to hang up. The towel replacement practice is completely inconstant. Some days we would get 2 towels and 1 hand towel, some days we would get 1 towel and no hand towels. On the rare occasion would would have the bath mat replaced.

The worst part, though, was the smoke. This is supposed to be a nonsmoking hotel. The last couple times we've stayed we had problems smelling smoke in the hallways on the 3rd floor. The last time we stayed there was a lot of construction going on and the front desk person told us it was the construction crews smoking in the rooms. This time, the smoke smell was a little better, but still there. Until our last night. Around 2 a.m. our room started reeking of both cigarette and marijuana smoke. My husband started having an allergic reaction and we called the front desk. They were completely useless. The did send up a security guy, but even he didn't do much, claiming that there wasn't anything he could do. We insisted (through some debate) that we move to another room to sleep. They reluctantly moved us around the corner and we finally got some sleep that night. But when we checked out the next morning and told the front desk person about how last time it was the construction crew, she actually argued with us that that wasn't possible.

The bottom line with this hotel is that it has very poor management. Since no one is in charge, anything goes. It's too bad because it's got great potential, but we won't be around to see it. We've had enough.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

144 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This review similar to others below. Entrance to hotel is difficult to find. Room was fine. Early morning transport to hotel was good. Pickup at airport was terrible (45 minute wait). The airport is too far away to expect timely pickups.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Plattsburgh, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We chose this property because my daughter had an information/interview day at Widener, and we didn't have a car. We were not familiar with the area, so we chose the hotel closest to the university. It is right across the street from the campus. The entrance gate is right there. That's the best part. We arrived at Philadelphia Int'l. Airport, Terminal F, and wound up in the parking garage standing near a post that said Hotel Shuttle pick up. We were picked up by the hotel shuttle and the driver was very personable. We only waited about 20 minutes after our call. The hotel is about 10 minutes away -- not sure of the mileage --- maybe 7 miles at exit 6 off 95.
The hotel is a business property. There are no "family" amenities on site and there is NOTHING to do in the immediate area. Nothing... there is a small storefront delivery/take out Pizza place (Giorgio) a block away on Providence Road. (We ordered take out -- great prices huge portions.) There is a little grocery store next to that. Attached to the hotel property is a 7-11 Store. (Some homeless people sit there. I was approached at night for food by a woman who was impaired in some way. The 7-11 owner walked me back to the hotel after the situation was resolved. I was going to buy her two bananas, but she didn't want that.) There is also a building with studio apts. called the HUB attached to the hotel (probably for grad. students). The hotel serves breakfast -- hard boiled eggs, a type of microwave breakfast muffin type patty -- I didn't eat it, so not sure what it was), homemade waffles, juices, various muffins and pastries, breads, cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt. Enough variety for me, and the muffins were very good. They will give you a little bag if you are racing out to the airport.
The hotel seems fairly new, and our room was large and it was clean. There were some small stains on the carpet, but for the most part, it seemed fine. The beds were comfortable with nice linens... old sheets, but they were clean. The pillows weren't so comfortable for us, since we like flat pillows. These were fluffy with a "pieces of foam rubber stuffing" kind of feel. I ended up folding a bath towel and sleeping with that since they didn't have flat pillows to exchange. My daughter had a bit of stiff neck the first night, but second night was better. The bathroom was clean and modern, and it had a shower, no tub. There were toiletries available. Also, there was a mini fridge that was nice and cold, and microwave (very old looking) plus coffee maker in the room. There was an iron and ironing board that were in very good condition. The heat was problematic. We had to use the wall unit to adjust it, and it was much too hot the first night. I asked to have them fix it, and they did, but then it was too cold. I couldn't set it so it ranged from too hot to too cold... finally I just turned it off, which was better. There were no instructions anywhere. Usually a hotel room has a booklet, binder, or information sheet with information about the hotel. There was nothing in the room of that sort, not even a tv station listing. By the way, some stations came in well, many were grainy and fuzzy. There was wi-fi in the room, but it was quite slow, even downstairs at the two computers in the lobby. The water pressure was low, but not a huge problem for us.
I agree with the other reviewers. This is not an area to wander around in after dark... or twilight. I walked around the campus and the perimeter of the campus but didn't venture too far. As I said, I was stuck there! If you want to go into Philadelphia, the hotel shuttle will bring you back to the airport and you can take the train right into the city, which we did. It was easy and I recommend it... but again, if you are without a car, you will need taxis if you want to go to a restaurant or anyplace else.
The desk staff was helpful, professional,and courteous, and the other staff was very friendly and helpful, including the shuttle drivers. The housekeeping staff leaves at 2. There is no afternoon or evening shift. I had forgotten the do not disturb sign on my door and removed it at 2, but it was too late and the room wasn't cleaned. It didn't matter to me. I can make a bed if necessary. But, if this is important to you, make sure the sign is off the door in the morning. Our room was very quiet, despite the fact that it was two doors down from the elevator. We were on the fourth floor and there was no street noise.
The reviewers are correct about it being hard to find. The signage is up on the side of the building. If you are going at night, look for the 7-11 or TD Bank, or the entrance to Widener that intersects with Potter St. and Providence Rd.
If I had to go back to Widener as the main purpose of my trip, or if I needed an overnight stay before a flight, etc., I would stay at this hotel again. If I wanted to do other things in the city (Philadelphia) and I didn't have a car, I probably wouldn't.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel is hidden by a TD Bank. It is impossible on first approach to realize where the entrance is (on a side street), and how the parking lot works.

The room was oddly-shaped L, and seemed cleaner than other reviewers have found. The front desk staff supplied linens for the sofabed and extra towels (although they offered tootsie-roll shaped bolsters as "pillows"-- that was quite a disconnect.).

The area feels a bit creepy.

The lowest 6 stations on the TVs were filled with static and snow.

There was a bookkeeping problem on the part of the hotel which made the checkout take quite a bit of time, but they ultimately resolved it, and called me at home to confirm this.

Breakfast: Quite disappointing, especially after coming from another BW-Plus the previous night which featured scrambled eggs and bacon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Carlsbad, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The people who work here are helpful and friendly, but the hotel is way to dirty for being relatively new. Slow and frustrating Internet. Pretty dam far from the airport. The neighborhood gets really bad only a couple of blocks away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have stayed here twice (5 months apart) and I can write essentially the same review each time. Return to find my room essentially uncleaned. The bed was made. Other than that, nothing. Dirty coffee cups remained, ice bucket full of melted ice, no replacement of supplies (shampoo, coffee for the in-room machine, or new paper cups for the coffee machine/room), and damp bathmat removed, but no replacement given. The exact same thing happened when I stayed here in November (I am put up at this hotel by the event I attend in the area). I'll also add that the environment is not very pleasant; there was a clearly mentally ill woman below my window at all hours of the day and night, yelling obscenities and verbally accosting anyone who walks by. Not nice for families, certainly. Not the hotel's fault, but one should be aware.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Honolulu
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife and kids wanted to stay for a night before catching a 6am flight - this hotel was a bad decision. It has 'airport' in the name but is a good 15-20 min drive from the airport. It is rated as a 3-star, but is really a 2-star, maybe 2-and-half, hotel. It is relatively new, but not a good hotel experience. My family felt scared in the area and would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about BEST WESTERN PLUS Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University

Address: 1450 Providence Road, Chester, PA 19013
Location: United States > Pennsylvania > Chester
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Room Service Shuttle Bus service Suites Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Chester
Hotel Class:2.5 star — BEST WESTERN PLUS Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University 2.5*
The Best Western Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University is the perfect hotel for your visit to Philadelphia and its suburbs. The hotel is located just minutes from Philadelphia International Airport, providing 24-hour Airport shuttle service. We are also located across from the campus of Widener University, and just minutes from Swarthmore College. Only 1 mile from Harrah's Casino and the closest hotel to PPL Park (Home of Major League Soccer's Philadelphia Union). The hotel provides complimentary 24-hour shuttle service, continental breakfast, free parking, free high speed wireless and wired internet access, daily newspapers and much more. Also featuring fitness and business centers. Stay at the newest, greenest, and most friendly Best Western hotel in the Philadelphia area! ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Tingo, TripOnline SA, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your BEST WESTERN PLUS Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Best Western Philadelphia Airport South At Widener University Hotel Chester
Best Western Chester

If you own or manage BEST WESTERN PLUS Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.