“Clean and Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Chester
WESTERN PA
“Clean and Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I was a little hesitant to make a reservation here because of the negative reviews regarding housekeeping and the 'neighborhood' in which the hotel is located. I looked around the area but could not find a more reasonably priced property with better reviews.First off, I arrived at 3pm and found the hotel easily - yes it borders an 'interesting' area, but I did not at all feel uneasy. (thanks to previous posters who described the parking situation). I was really impressed by how clean and spacious the room was - did the obligatory check for bed bugs and came up empty. Fell onto the bed to take a power nap and it was so comfortable I did not want to get back up. Bath area was especially clean as well - roomy shower area. (I also thought the area just inside the door with dedicated lighting and a full length mirror would have been ideal if I was traveling with more than my son - another dressing area away from the main area of the room). We left for a while in the evening and did not return til around midnight - again - aware of surroundings and I did not feel uneasy walking back into the hotel. The beds were very comfortable - one of my measures of a hotel is whether I can sleep passed 7am or not - 8am is pretty good for me away from home... The staff was very welcoming. Breakfast was ok - they were out of waffle mix - I found that interesting. Muffins, bagels, cereal and milk, fruit. If my son decides to attend Widener, I know that this will be the hotel of choice for me.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

The hotel room is nice enough, except for the large splotch of I don't want to know directly in the middle of the sheet folded right at the pillows. Actually it was really poorly vacuumed too. But the room itself was functional and appropriately furnished.

But the most important information you need about this hotel is that it is in a really lousy area. My wife would kill me if I ever made her stay here. If you have kids with you, go somewhere else.

On one hand, good for Best Western for stepping up and putting a hotel here. On the other hand, that good gesture doesn't absolve them from their duties as a hotel, first and foremost being the safety and security of its guests and their possessions. I arrived at dusk. A police car was in the parking lot. The cop left and within seconds, literally 20 seconds later, I was accosted by a filthy, belligerent homeless guy. I just walked by him into the hotel but I left behind me in the parking lot a nice shiny rental car. Of course, the homeless guy knows which car is mine and now I am wondering if the car will be safe for the night.

That this hotel was built without its own secure parking lot in a neighborhood like this baffles me. That this hotel does not hire a security guard to keep an eye on the parking lot and walkways baffles me. And forget about going somewhere in the neighborhood to eat. The only thing I saw nearby was the 7-11 that shares the same parking lot as the hotel, thus ensuring that a steady flow of vagrants and drunks will be walking through the parking lot where you enter and exit the hotel and where your car is parked.

I suppose if you have a Widener connecton you might want to stay here because the campus is across the street. But if you are looking for a hotel convenient to the airport or Philadelphia, go somewhere else. Go anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

PROs:
The room and bathroom were large, which was nice.
Check-in folks were pleasant.
Continental breakfast was average.

CONs:
The bathroom came with less than half a roll of toilet paper, so we had to ask for more.
I found a long hair (not mine) on the sheet when I turned down the bed. ICK.
Walls are so paper-thin you could identify which TV show your neighbors were watching
Neighborhood was kind of sketchy and I didn't feel safe taking a walk after dark.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Surprised at the LARGE room and bathroom.
Well maintained and clean rooms. Front Desk was helpful. It has a basic Continental breakfast which suffices.
Only suggestion to them would be to request the employees to have THEIR breakfast not when guests are around!!! They occupied more seats than us!!

Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I was really sad to see all the negative reviews that this hotel has received. The rooms very very clean and had no moldy smell whatsoever.

With that being said, I will tell you what we did find. My son and I stayed there this weekend to watch two Phillies and Red Sox games. We flew from Wilmington to Philadelphia where we were picked up in a Best Western Shuttle within 10 minutes of us calling for a pick up.

We were greeted at the front desk and checked in with no problems whatsoever.

We then asked how to get to the Citizens Bank Park and were given terrific directions. AND, another shuttle ride to the airport to catch the train.

My son and I were very impressed with the city, the hotel, and the entire experience. We were sad to go.

Special thanks to our shuttle drivers, Tina, Sharon, and (sorry) the gentleman that shuttles at night. What great people!!

Location was a little out of the way, but you have free shuttle to the most incredible public transportation system I have ever seen.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
BWwidener, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Dear rxfiller,

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay from this past weekend. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a great time experiencing Philadelphia with your son! It certainly was a nice weekend to catch the Phillies-Red Sox series at Citizens Bank Park!

We hope to see you again the next time you visit Philadelphia!
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

The room was dirty - stained comforter (looked like blood), stained ottoman for chair, several strands of hair on bed. In the bath - which only had a shower - there was no shelf (could see had been taken down but not replaced) and the soap and shampoo had to be placed on the floor. I read mixed reviews - 1 star to 5 stars - so maybe there is a huge discrepancy in rooms. We did get a special rate - maybe that had an impact.

Also, the area is strange. The hotel is difficult to spot and at 9:30pm on a Thursday evening deserted. The building of the hotel shares an empty retail area and you have to park around the corner. Did not feel comfortable walking alone at night by myself.

Breakfast was bare bones but did have waffles for my son. Yogurt was gone and food was sparse.

We have stayed at a Best Western Plus before and were very happy with the cleanliness and room itself. Either we were at unusual one before or now.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

...then this is the hotel for you! Room was musty and moldy smelling. Afraid to take a shower due to smell. Sheets so rumpled that I couldn't tell if they had already been slept in - went to service closet, got "clean" (also rumpled) sheets, and changed our beds myself. Lint and visible dirt all over carpet - hallway carpets filthy and muddy. Elevator dirty. Worse, parking is a block away in an unlit parking lot - dangerous! Staff is friendly and courteous, and lobby is curiously clean -- but nothing could make up for the lack of cleanliness upstairs. For this, we were charged $120?

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about BEST WESTERN PLUS Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University

Address: 1450 Providence Road, Chester, PA 19013
Location: United States > Pennsylvania > Chester
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Room Service Shuttle Bus service Suites Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Chester
Hotel Class:2.5 star — BEST WESTERN PLUS Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University 2.5*
The Best Western Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University is the perfect hotel for your visit to Philadelphia and its suburbs. The hotel is located just minutes from Philadelphia International Airport, providing 24-hour Airport shuttle service. We are also located across from the campus of Widener University, and just minutes from Swarthmore College. Only 1 mile from Harrah's Casino and the closest hotel to PPL Park (Home of Major League Soccer's Philadelphia Union). The hotel provides complimentary 24-hour shuttle service, continental breakfast, free parking, free high speed wireless and wired internet access, daily newspapers and much more. Also featuring fitness and business centers. Stay at the newest, greenest, and most friendly Best Western hotel in the Philadelphia area! ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your BEST WESTERN PLUS Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Best Western Philadelphia Airport South At Widener University Hotel Chester
Best Western Chester

If you own or manage BEST WESTERN PLUS Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.