“Real Timbers, Stone, Fireplaces, Historic, Authentic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Seven Springs Mountain Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Champion
You added Seven Springs Mountain Resort to your Saves list
777 Waterwheel Drive, Champion, PA 15622   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Champion
Bakerton
“Real Timbers, Stone, Fireplaces, Historic, Authentic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Since childhood, have enjoyed an annual ski week to this resort. We appreciate the careful and charming rustic updates and upgrades. We've been to many other places on the east coast and have not found the same quality alpine feel with wood siding and real timbers supporting hotel and ski lodge. We enjoy the scale and level of services to this place. New metal, modern plastic siding, can be found at most ski places, (Snowshoe included). Seven Springs has achieved a natural, outside to inside connection with its structures, interiors and landscapes. It offers an authentic outdoor experience.

Those concerned with the costs of the meals should inquire of onsite resort alternatives. Every kind of fast food imaginable is offered. The timbers breakfast egg chefs are top notch, and make hot fresh omelets, loads of fresh fruit, tons of baked goods, and excellent table service with bottomless coffee cups await. Helen’s restaurant is a treat each year, they offer unique flavor combinations and a revolving menu. Helen’s is overwhelmingly charming. Worth a wintertime visit, Helens at dinnertime shows off large icicles clinging to the eaves with back lighting.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Karen G, Front Office Manager at Seven Springs Mountain Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear guest,

We appreciate the positive feedback you've provided regarding your stay at Seven Springs. While, there have been many updates to our structure around the Resort, we've been able to keep the original, look and feel.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

814-352-7777 ext.7575

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

This "ski resort" is extremely overpriced. The rooms are very small, in need of updates and were not very clean. Being slopeside is an amenity you do expect to pay more for, however; these rooms were so small there was barely enough room for the four of us (2 adults and two children under the age of 10) to move around. The "packages" are not much of a deal either at $400 per person double occupancy! If you do not choose a "package" the rooms are very expensive to say the least (in excess of $300 per night depending on how may children and adults will be staying in the room.) At other "slope side ski resorts" I have stayed at, the use of the swimming pool and hot tubs were included. Not here! They do have several amenities, but they all cost extra. We purchased a package deal which included lift tickets, pizza with 2 liter soda and use of the swimming pool. The pizza was awful and we could not even eat it due to the topping tasting like old oil and had to take it back. After much discussion, they finally agreed to make us another pizza which took them over 45 minutes to make. Oh, did I mention they allow dogs to stay in a section of the hotel and we were in that section. I have pets and have traveled with them often, but there were two dogs that barked continually and because there is not much sound proofing, they sounded as if they were in our room. We did complain to the front desk several times, but nothing was ever done about it and we were not compensated in any way. In fact, I mentioned it upon check out again and they told me that next time I should make sure I am not staying in the "pet section". There is also no communication between the hotel and the ski rental/ski school/tubing area so you have to continually walk and forth between the hotel and these other places for information/tickets, etc. Management seems to be non-existent and it is very clear that guest satisfaction is of no concern. I would not stay here again because the cost is not justified, even if you are located slopeside. They need to consider a more reasonable rate for what they have to offer. Small outdated rooms are bad enough, but charging for everything, including use of the pool and spa and other amenities is outrageous to say the least. They also need to work on their customer service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Karen G, Front Office Manager at Seven Springs Mountain Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
I apologize that you were dissatisfied with your stay. While you did stay in our Traditional section of the Hotel and not the Tower, the rooms are still very spacious. Our pool and fitness center are always complimentary too. We can discuss your stay in further detail if you wish to contact me directly.

kgray@7springs.com
Washington, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We travel quite a bit, and we have never been so disappointed with a resort. We booked this last minute, and I was quite upset with the fact that we were charged $375/night for our double-bed room but figured it would be a nice place. Wrong! This is a long and detailed review, but I'm hoping other potential guests and management fully understand how disappointing our experience was.

Arrival: we arrived at 4:00 pm to total chaos at the entrance. Guests parked their cars everywhere to unload, there was no bell man, and we had to wait 15 minutes for cars to get moving so we could get through the driveway and out to the parking lot.

Room: the rooms were outdated with 1980s white-washed oak, veneer furniture. Their website boasts about pillow-top mattresses and duvets; one of our mattresses sunk in the middle, the sheets kept coming off, and when we went to make the bed, the pillow top is a mattress pad that kept slipping off. Oh the duvet..it was a thin fleece cover with a thin bedspread on top. Our 3rd floor slope side room did have a spectacular view, however, there is a veranda outside that guests could walk down, so we opted to keep our curtains closed during our stay so every wandering guest couldn't peep in. You can also hear the snow machines all night. The walls are paper thin, and we could hear every footstep and conversation in the hall including during very late and early hours. Bathrooms look new and the place was clean. the girls from housekeeping were great!

Concierge: First night, every question we had about ski rentals and lift tickets was answered with, "You'll have to ask at the rental center". She also couldn't provide any info about places to eat outside of the resort. We had a problem with trying to purchase snow tubing tickets, the woman at the info desk that evening (Joyce) basically told us there was nothing she could do. However, the concierge that evening (Clarence) was more than happy to try and help us, and spent 40 minutes doing so.

Rentals: The info desk at the rental location has a bunch of incompetent teenagers running the place. The girl at the desk had to pull out a brochure to tell us the cost of daily snowboard rentals. Really? You rent skis and snowboards all day, and you have to look up the cost? When we got to the cashier, it was a different amount than what the info girl told us because it was a holiday. Then the computer systems were down and nobody knew what to do. They charged us for one day and told us to keep the rentals until we checked out and pay for them then. We went to drop it all off, explained the situation, and again the teenaged cashier had no clue what to do, and told us to just leave the stuff. Good for us that we got free rentals because of their incompetence.

Snow tubing: The hotel's high speed internet is slower than molasses, and we couldn't purchase the snow tubing tickets online. We went uphill to try and buy them for he next day, and the cashier told us her computer didn't allow for advanced purchase of tickets. You have to show up at 9:00 am to try and buy tickets for the session you want. Nobody including Clarence was able to successfully help with online purchase, so needless to say, we were never able to go snow tubing.

Restaurants: here's the breakdown of our dining experiences...

Bavarian Tavern: the place was always packed. Football games were being shown and people spent the entire afternoon nursing their one beer. After waiting to be seated, we ordered nachos. Chips right out of the bag, over-cooked, almost burnt, microwaved ground beef with cold cheese sauce and ice-cold sour cream. The chicken panini was...ehhhh.

Timber: The hostess raved about the Hungry man, so we tried 3 of those and chicken tenders. The chicken tenders were straight out of the bag and nuked; I wasn't surprised at that, but the Hungry Man was a microwaved TV dinner. Over-nuked, tough as nails, pre-cooked steak and microwaved gummy potatoes. The eggs were only offered scrambled, and now I know why, they were that chalky liquid egg substitute that comes in industrial sized containers. None of us were able to finish our meals. We never returned.

Gingerbread Bakery: The lines were always out the door. We returned at 8:50 knowing they closed at 9, and hoping the line would be shorter. When we and another family walked in, we were told they were closed. We asked if they closed at 8:50 or 9 because the flyer said 9. I'm usually not this difficult, but after the service he had throughout the day, we were pretty fed up. She didn't argue and let us get in line. When we got to the front, she apologized and said that she had been left there all day by herself because the other girl called in sick, and she had to handle things all night by herself and still had to cleanup. I felt bad for her, but "Dear Management" how is that your guests problem. Btw, the hot chocolate is straight out of the package and mixed with hot water kind of drink.

Pizza Shop: Worst pizza ever. It was flavorless bread, tomato sauce straight out of the industrial sized vat with nothing added including salt with flavorless cheese. That was our first try at the place. Later that day, my kids wanted a sub. We ordered a hot Italian and were told it would be 15-20 minutes. After 30 minutes, we returned, no sub, and asked to come back in 10 minutes. We went to the baker (see above) and returned after 25 minutes and still no sub. The guy told us it should be ready in 5 minutes, and I told him at this point it had been an hour wait for a sub. His response, "That's impossible", and I replied that I had spoken to him both times. We continued to wait, and after another 15 minutes, we asked about the sub again, and it had been sitting there all along. Meanwhile, we watched one employee yelling and insulting another employee for more than 10 minutes in front of all the customers. Everyone was in shock and laughing, and they seemed to not see anything wrong with their behavior.

Slopeside: This place saved our stomachs! We had the Italian buffet. Food was wonderful; good variety and tasty. Carving station and desserts were great. However, after being seated the waitress walks over to us and tells us, "I'm not your waitress, but I'll get your drink order because your waitress is having issues." Our waitress later showed up, and we had great service because both women were waiting on us totally unaware that the other was doing the same. Next day we returned for Sunday brunch. Again the food was really good and our waitress did a wonderful job serving us. However, again, these are the comments I overheard every time I got out of my seat. First, the hostess and a waitress arguing about who was serving what tables; the hostess yelled at her, "Jesus Christ, just give me the paper!" Another waitress yelling at another group of waitress, "Whose table is this? That tables been sitting there a long time and none of you have gone over there." Another group of waitresses complaining about the bussers not bringing out clean glasses and forks. Our last buffet, food was good, although there were limited choices. Our waitress did a good job, but kept coming over to apologize because it was so chaotic and busy. I think there is a serious management issue with this resort. I saw bad customer service, and I think it comes from a resort that is seriously mismanaged, understaffed and overworking their employees. All the employees complained out loud, in public and in front of paying customers.

On the plus side, my kids enjoyed the snow boarding, mini-golf and bowling.

Room Tip: Avoid the fourth floor, it's the main artery within the lodge.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
I truly apologize for the perception that you received from your recent stay. I have shared your experience with each Department Director to use as a training mechanism with their staff. While, the last few weeks have been quite busy, there is absolutely no excuse for service to lack. Please feel free to contact me directly and I can guarantee you a 100% turnaround for your next stay.

814-352-7777 ext. 7575

Travelers are raving about these Champion hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

As a well travelled avid skier that never usually writes a review, my wife and I thought to take our 2 young children on their first skiing experience.
The main hotel is surely convenient and everything needed is walking distance. Stayed over a busy holiday weekend and prices appeared inflated. At 4 c-notes a night for a double queen, the rooms were very basic, absent of renovations in at least a couple of decades to include to carpet and bed linens, and the cleanliness was superficial to say the least.
We had a slope side view on the 3rd floor in one of their "best" rooms, so we were told. For all of you considering this think again. While the balcony is a nice feature, the incessant grooming machine noise and their bleating back-up alarms penetrate the thin walls to sound like an alarm clock that could waken even Rip van Winkle from his slumber.
Food, while convenient, was at best average.
Service overall was basic so do not have any hopes or expectations, including an absence of bellman and valet attendants.
Hot tubs, total of 4 very basic units for the hotel, require reservations and carry a cost of $10 pp for a 30 min use.
The skiing is what it is and likely as good as one can expect for western Pennsylvania and no snobbery comparisons to other national resorts would be fair.
While the tiny tot ski school was inflated like the hotel this holiday weekend, the kids loved it.
I would come back to 7springs for the kids but will either make day trips or stay in a condo with hopes this review would be taken to heart by the proprietors for future development.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My family came here years ago and I had fond memories, this was probably 20 years ago. We decided to book our Christmas week trip here and knew we would probably pay a premium but we figured it would be a memorable holiday. We made the mistake of letting the front desk sell us the meal plan and how it is such a great desk. The breakfast buffet was decent but a lot of the food was cold when they should be hot or kept warm at a minimum. The dinner buffet was disappointing. Food was bland and nothing worth mentioning. They offered a special holiday buffet was you had to pay an upgrade. This was never mention before. One night no buffet was offered even though we had prepaid and they only offered up credit to another restaurant not if our choice and only offered the value of the prepaid meal plan not the actual buffet value that we prepaid at a discount. It was a classic bait and switch scam. The hot tub the font desk raved about requires an additional cost to hotel guest that wasn't told to is either. The resort boasts about all the amenities but not the additional costs. I plan to never take my family here again. You feel cheated, they should let us know at the time of booking especially if they are selling the amenities to you. It seemed like everything required a fee or purchase of an upgrade. It's ridiculous!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

This place is a scam.... Bartenders are great but everything else is over rated. Ski patrol thinks there some one with psp authority... Ticket counters are ignorant and all in all not a pleasent experience. I have been season pass holder and property home owner here for 15 plus years and am looking to take my family elsewhere.
The extra drive to snowshoe or wisp is well worth it. Sorry 7springs u have lost mine and my families business.

Dear Season Pass Holder,

We truly appreciate your business. If there is a particular situation that you could provide further details on, we can collaborate and work towards correction.

Please feel free to contact me directly.

Johnstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

winter wonderland. 12 days of christmas special. Just arrived home from a wonderful get away night. Seven Springs is all decorated for Christmas. Everything is gorgeous.
Staff welcomed us with open arms. We had reservations for a king room slope side. The rooms are spacious and inviting. Ceramic floors in the entrance way. Small "wet bar" area sink. Spacious bathroom recently renovated with beautiful tile to the ceiling.
Lighting was perfectly placed. Lots of space for luggage, extra coats, ski equipment etc. desk set up for computer. Drapery and bedding werecozy and modern. Balcony was nice. Yes, we went outside and looked at the slopes in the freezing cold weather. It was so pretty at night. Dining was excellent in the Timber lounge. Breakfast was delicious also. Utilized the bar in the evening to watch the 8;30 p.m Steeler game. Service excellent. Hotel housekeeping was wonderful. Very clean. didn't want to leave and plan to return

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you in the future!

814-352-7777 ext. 7575

Been to Seven Springs Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!