“I81 Trips Don't Have to Mean Fast Food” 5 of 5 stars

(717) 709-9988
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Asian
Washington DC
“I81 Trips Don't Have to Mean Fast Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I make a trip north on I81 several times a year and have bemoaned the food choices. I read a review of Ping's on TA and got interested. Take the Rt. 30 Exit at Chambersburg and Ping's is less than two miles with one left turn onto Main St. The restaurant was clean and well lighted. We were greeted and seated immediately. The server was knowledgeable and helpful with a cheerful attitude. We split an appetizer and shared two main dishes. The food arrived quickly at the proper temperature. All dishes were well prepared and a deft hand had applied all seasoning. We had Sichuan Shrimp and Sichuan Green Beans. Really good. The prices are more than reasonable. You will appreciate this great spot all the more as you drive past 20+ fast food joints as you leave I81. Ping's is in the old downtown section of Chambersburg. Ample parking is available on the street. I am really glad I took the time to visit Ping's. I'll be back.

• Visited October 2012

Newville, Pennsylvania
“One of the Best There Is”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Oh my God, what a fantastic restaurant. I have eaten Chinese restaurants in Philly, DC and NYC and think this is right up there with them. Not much more I can say to give an idea of how good the food is.

They serve Chinese, Japanese and Thai cuisine. Restaurant is expecting to have their liquor license in the next two weeks. This is the second location for this restaurant, they also operate Ping's Cafe in Gettysburg, PA. Decor is very nice and appropriate for this area. Bathrooms are very clean. Staff was fantastic, service was prompt.

This restaurant is located approximately 1.5 blocks south of the the square in Chambersburg right on Rt 11 south. Parking is available on street and in municipal parking lots, weekends are free. Do not hesitate to try this restaurant!

• Visited April 2012
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012 via mobile

Pings restaurant is a great place to go I reccomend this to everybody. They even have a side door for handicapp. Their food is very good its always fresh. Im never dissapointes when I go there. Its a little small but its a great place to go. If your in downtown Chambersburg Pings is a must!

Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
“Finally, fantastic Asian food in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

I've eaten in and done take-out 5 times since they opened. EVERYTHING has been tasty. Vegetables are not limited to carrots and celery like other Asian spots in town. There's fresh eggplant, asparagus, broccoli. FRESH! Lots of care goes into preparation and presentation. Staff very friendly and accommodating. So happy that I can now satisfy my cravings locally.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
“Don't miss this little gem.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Husband and I went to Ping's last night - 120 S. Main Street, almost across from the theater.
First of all, it is a pretty restaurant - great care has been taken in the decor. This is NOT a buffet restaurant, fortunately. We have enough of these mediocre Chinese restaurants where most of the food is mass produced frozen reheated stuff. Everything here appears to have been made from scratch, from very fresh ingredients.
The menu encompasses Chinese, Japanes, and Thai and there is a sushi bar. We did not order from the sushi bar but it looked good.
We spent about $40 including tip for the two of us. We shared two spring rolls - it became obvious at once that these were freshly made there, not purchased ready-made and fried up. My only complaint is that the duck sauce is too sweet and a little jammy but the hot mustard balanced that up. I had Won Ton soup and the broth had a really homemade flavor and did not depend on lots of salt. My husband had Phoenix and Dragon (shrimp and chicken) and it was very generous - you can tell them how hot you want the dish to be. The only fault was that the chef could have been a little more bold in seasoning. Lots of fresh veggies and the shrimp very fresh. I had Thai Basil Chicken - next time I will be more daring with the hotness of the dish but it was great. Lots of licorice-y fresh Thai basil and red sweet pepper and asparagus and...eggplant! The eggplant was a real surprise and totally excellent.
The waitstaff are very friendly and glad to tell you about each dish and some that AREN'T on the menu, like Vietnamese spring rolls which are cold appetizers wrapped in rice paper - something you won't find in any other local restaurant.
In short, the key word here is homemade and fresh - I hope they keep up the standards of last night - this little gem is worth a try!

• Visited November 2011