“Awful Customer Service” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 16 hotels in Chambersburg
Tinicum, Pennsylvania, United States
“Awful Customer Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel because of it's relatively close proximity to Gettysburg for two nights for our wedding anniversary(Oct. 13th & Oct. 14th of 2012). We booked the King Suite. Upon arriving and entering our room, we were disappointed to see that the room not only hadn't been tidy up at all, but the toilet was broken and filled with bloody toilet paper. We called the front desk and the young girl working came up(the ONLY person the entire weekend who was helpful BTW) and expressed her sympathy and asked us if we would move to a two-bed suite(not as nice as the one we booked, but whatever) for the night and they would get us moved into a King suite the next morning. The next morning comes and my wife calls the front desk, explains the situation and is told, "well since you booked through a 3rd party, we can't guarantee that we can move you." After speaking with a supervisor, we were told that room service was busy cleaning and they'd call us when our new room was ready. At noon, we decided to go get lunch at a nearby restaurant and I left my cell phone # at the front desk to be notified as soon as our room was ready. I told them we had plans and did not want to spend our entire anniversary waiting around. We asked if our stuff would be safe in the room while we were away. They assured us that'd it be fine. At about 2 o'clock we returned to the hotel from lunch and were told that the room was still not ready. When we get back up to the room, our keys had been deactivated. We had to go back down and get our keys re-activated so we could enter the room. At about 3, my wife walked out of our room and asked the housekeeper if the king suites had been cleaned yet. She was told yes. Upon hearing this information, my wife called down to the front desk, where a young man answered, and asked if our room was ready. He said it was and asked us to come pick up the keys. When we arrived at the front desk to get our keys, the young man apologizes to us and says "your room was ready at 2, I don't know why they didn't call to notify you." Needless to say, this was the first and last time I will be staying at this particular hotel.

Room Tip: They have no 24 hour maintanence and you have to pay extra for daily housekeeping.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Chambersburg, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Nick D,

Thank you for your stay with us and taking the time to give feedback. I am happy to know that our location was suitable enough for your needs. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with our staff and the room accommodations you were given. These issues will be addressed and I appreciate you bringing these matters into our attention as this is our best resource of improving guest satisfaction. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

102 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Edinboro, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

While the rooms are very well furnished and would be ideal for the long-term guest or family, for a one- or two-night stay it's expensive and services are not ideal. There is a full-sized refrigerator with ice-maker in the room but no other ice machines are available. So, if you need ice immediately, you are out of luck. Also, unless you stay for 5 nights, there is no housekeeping until the 4th night. Other amenities in the rooms are a small range, full-sized microwave, table service and coffee-maker. Of course, with these amenities, there is no breakfast served in the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lee L, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Chambersburg, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
We apologize we didnt meet your expecations. WE are striving to be the best in the area. I will personally share all your comments with your staff. We hope you will give us another try.

Stafford, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I have stayed here 3 separate times, once for a night and twice for five nights. There are a lot of locals living here, and they treat the place like home...like they own it and don't need to respect other guests. Twice on a Sunday I have been woken up around 6 from kids running up and down the halls, and I think a party. The room is always clean when I arrive and the week days are mostly quiet. All three rooms I stayed in have a bright blue lit temperature control panel that doesn't dim at night, and the staff just told me that I'd get used to it. There are a lot of pets inside and the same room obviously has a smoker in it on the first floor, all three times I was there. Also no breakfast.

They now have a policy not to clean your room at all until you reach 7 days. I would usually be fine with that, but the dumpster area is really hard to open and I had a hard time getting more trash bags. I tend to eat in the room all week, so I generate trash.

During the week nights its a typical overnight hotel. Which make these details not worth putting up with since I'll be back in the area a lot.

Room Tip: I would get a 3rd floor room...lots of kids running in the halls would be hard to ignore above you.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
WE apologize for any not meeting any of your expectations. WE are always there to assist you during your stay with our 24 hour front desk. Please do give us antoher try as I personally guarantee you will be satisfied. I am sharing your comments with our staff.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We, my husband and I, were suppose to get away to a BB in Woodstock new york. At the last min 830 pm friday, the BB lost our reservations and would not honor of reservations.....another story entirely.
We called the Candlewood Suites at 10pm asking for reservations. My father in law lives here, 6 hours from us in New york. Chrissy who works at the front desk and answered my call, was totally ready and able to help us from the moment she said hello. She was pleasant, patient, and was really interested in saving my weekend with me. I had a surprise homemade 5 star dinner sitting in my trunk ready to be eaten by a stream in woodstock. We settled for a river off of 88west on the way to PA......it was great.
She was one of the best customer service calls I have ever experienced. We didn't get the chance to actually meet her in person, unfortunately, yet she started our brand new trip off perfectly!!!!! I booked the room only because she was so nice and professional.
The room was a good size, bathroom was really nice size as well. Everything was new. Its a fairly new hotel. They also have a pool and a jacuzzi in a cute little green house type thingy.
I also want to thank Ty for helping me figure out where to find info on Gettysberg....Boy that was interesting.He tried so hard to get me info on the civil war reenactments. One would think the web would be loaded with info but it was not. Being a photographer I needed a schedule of events. He was also very patient and went above and beyond to help me.
It is a clean hotel in a good area. All the staff were great!!! There is also many places to eat right by the hotel. We went to the Japanese place right next to the hotel. Yummy!!!
Thank You!!!! We will be back!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I travel for business often and this property was great not only for me but my family. We even went to Fridays restaraunt that was located less then 1 mile from the hotel. Even was happy with Fridays service. The hotel had an indoor pool for the kids and I enjoyed the jacuzzi while they were in pool. The room had a dvd player in it with free kids movies I signed out at the front desk. The full kitchen was great but I didnt need it since it was a short trip. The front desk had my keys ready upon arrival and even gave me a coupon for being a priority club member for a free snack in there store. Thanks again for providing me and my family a clean safe place to stay. And wow what a florida boom around hotel with everything so close. Thank you

Room Tip: if you need a full kitchen and dont want to go out this is the place for you....everything so new an...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Lee L, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Chambersburg, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for the great review. From our family to yours we wish a happy and safe holiday season and we hope to see you again

Everywhere U.S.A.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

As a platinum elite member with the IHG Hotel system this Bothers me to write a Negative review on a Property.
Most certainly the Negatives of this Hotel fall solely on Ownership and "So called Management" !
This is a Terrific property,Great Building. However Management is Unconcerned,Unresponsive,Undertrained and Down Right Rude (Yes,You LEE).
I checked in on Sunday the 16th of Sept. Paying for 1 night and my Employer would pay for the rest of my 3 month stay,Within 2 hours of my arrival the Hotel had billed my debit card 4 times,twice for my 1 night stay at $59.95 and twice for a 1 week stay at $419.65.
On Monday morning my Wife contacted our Bank and had 1 of each charges reversed, and the So called "Operations Manager" had the other weekly charge removed.
On Monday evening the Hotel charged my debit card $419.65 and The Company I work for $419.65.
On Tues. morning my wife had our bank reverse the $419.65 charge and the Hotel said they took our debit card out of thier system. On Tues.evening the Hotel billed my debit card for $59.95 and $419.65 both of which cleared my bank Weds. morning.
I checked out of this Hotel Weds morning with the so called"Operation Manager" telling me they didn't charge my card. I then gave her a copy of my bank statement showing a cleared charge of $419.65 at which time She supposedly issued me a refund (Have not seen it yet) and said they had made a mistake.
During this whole 4 day ordeal I constantly asked to see or speak to the "General Manager (LMAO)" and to this day have yet to have gotten a call from him (Yes,YOU LEE).
Stayed at this Hotel when it was Brand New Last December and the" Manager" (LEE) was in the Hotel's hot-tub every night with some girl .
This place is a Joke PAY CASH, Don't deal with the Hotel !!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Lee L, Manager at Candlewood Suites Chambersburg, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear guest.
When you arrived to the hotel you gave us your credit card and didn't notify us that it was not supposed to be charged. I understand and apologize for the confusion. We did credit your credit card and the operational manager said she handled the credit and apologized to you. If you need to contact the hotel at any time there is a manager on duty 24 hours. We also issued you priority club points for the miscommunication. Again we apologize and do hope you give us another try.
Salem, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Never heard of this chain of hotels but won't likely forget it. If you've never stayed at one and find one near where you are laying over, do not miss this opportunity. Suites are large. Living area, office area, full kitchen, large bathroom and the bedroom is huge with very comfortable bed. We are a convert. This is normally an extended stay place but free laundry , business office, pool, jacuzzi, work out room.... what more can you ask for.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Candlewood Suites Chambersburg? Share your experiences!