“Typical Deli food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #58 of 122 Restaurants in Chambersburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch
Description: This place is a "hidden gem" in downtown Chambersburg. The restaurant is an off-shoot of a catering business and provides great food at very reasonable prices. The staff is friendly, attentive and strives to please. Open for breakfast and lunch only Monday-Saturday this is a great place for a quick breafast or a leisurely lunch. The only negative (in my opinion) is that the “background music” is provided by a local radio station. Diners shouldn’t have to talk over some DJ or the local news. Perhaps background music without vocals would be more appropriate for a place like Main Street Deli.
“Typical Deli food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2014

Nice place to eat if going 'downtown'. Typical deli food. It used to be right next door to the Capital Theater but now is a bit of a walk away, but do'able if the weather is nice and a nice place to get a nice meal beforehand. Fact is, business was so good they needed to get bigger place. Enough said!!

Visited June 2014

Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
“Good but could be better.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

The good.....
The pasta salad is great.

The decent......
Cream of crab soup is not consistent. My husbands cup had no meat. My bowl had none either. Our daughters bowl was chock full of meat. All of them were bland but tasted better with salt and old bay that we requested from the waitress.
Club samwich was big.

The bad.....
Ceaser salads (main meal on their own...not sides) were small. Croutons were hard enough to break a tooth.

First waitress we saw was a grumpy older woman. Second who was our main one was pleasant. Third one, a young one who brought out our soup was clueless and stood at another table with our tray until the second one directed her to our table, at which she acted like she never waitressed before.

Overall, we will not be returning unless we have a craving for pasts salad. Then we will call in and pick up.

chambersburg
“Dined for Lunch - Food tasted Disgusting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

On 4/25 it was my first visit to Main Street Deli in Chambersburg. They have a black board outside the establishment to read their daily specials. I read roast beef, grilled on rye bread, had cole slaw in the sandwich. After it was served, I bit into a shoe leather kind of grilled roast beef in the sandwich. It also was dried up from being fried in the sandwich, which I guess, that's how to serve up old roast beef. I pulled apart the sandwich to see the beef, and it looked like old, dried up beef. Wasn't a good flavor combination to stick in coleslaw on top of roast beef. I was dining with my mother, and before I said "I can't eat this", she wasn't enjoying the flavor of her quiche either. I had a taste of her quiche and it was made with too much stuff, over done with food stuff, that the crust on the quich could not be like a crust, and was doughy. Yuk food for $22.00, and most of the food left on the plate.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Owings Mills, Maryland
“Home Town Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

On our weekender to Chambersburg, we stopped and had lunch at this restaurant. It's not the kind of deli I am used to - but the service was excellent and very friendly. The food was good home town fare. Busy little place with a lot of locals.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Good experience everytime”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We have lunch at the Main Street Deli on average at least once every few months (more often when I was pregnant and craving the cream of crab soup) I can't say we have ever had a bad experience here. Service is always friendly and fast. The food is always fresh and tasty. I will admit there are some unique creations on the menu. If you are a picky eater like me, you may be set back by some of the sandwich components and combos. But its not like you can't find ANYTHING either. They have hot dogs, club sandwiches, grilled cheese, pizza, quesadillas and typical breakfast items. So there truly is some average deli menu items as well as some more unique items as well.

If I had one suggestion to make, perhaps the seating and decor could use an upgrade. Whats there is functional and practical. Everything is clean and in good condition. It just leaves a little to be desired. Gray banquet chairs, black table cloths & practically empty walls bring down the ambiance just a touch. With some nicer more colorful seating & tables & some artwork on the walls, it could really take my next rating to a 5 star!

• Visited March 2014