“It's Nice to Have a Real Deli in a Small Town” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Update restaurant details
Ranked #33 of 130 restaurants in Chambersburg
Cuisines: American
Description: This place is a "hidden gem" in downtown Chambersburg. The restaurant is an off-shoot of a catering business and provides great food at very reasonable prices. The staff is friendly, attentive and strives to please. Open for breakfast and lunch only Monday-Saturday this is a great place for a quick breafast or a leisurely lunch. The only negative (in my opinion) is that the “background music” is provided by a local radio station. Diners shouldn’t have to talk over some DJ or the local news. Perhaps background music without vocals would be more appropriate for a place like Main Street Deli.
Romeo, Michigan
“It's Nice to Have a Real Deli in a Small Town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

The Main Street Deli in Chambersburg is like something that you'd find in downtown New York City. They offer sandwiches, soups, quiche, and salads. I had a turkey sandwich of some kind with artichoke and honey mustard on it, and i'd definitely order it again! I also had a small caesar salad for $3.99, and it was really big! Usually, side salads are small and don't have much taste, but that wasn't the case! The crab soup is really tasty too. The only thing to criticize is the decor, which is really old and drab. The outside really needs painted. This is a great option for a light lunch in Chambersburg!

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
Southcentral Pennsylvania
“Love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Whether it's stopping in for a quick bite with some girlfriends or just grabbing lunch, this is my favorite spot in Chambersburg. Their crab bisque is amazing, and I am also a fan of their lettuce-less salad. All their sandwiches are also wonderful. You can't lose here.

Visited July 2012
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
“Best Crab Soup!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Main Street Deli is a bright spot in downtown Chambersburg. Personal service with a cozy feel. Great specialty sandwiches. My favorite is "a bird to the wise" with a combination of their special chicken salad on raisin bread. Yummy Crab soup will keep you coming back for more.

I also used their catering services for the weddings of each of my daughters & was very pleased with both the food & presentation.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fayetteville, PA
“Homemade - and you can tell!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

I don't get to get out to Main Street Deli too often, but any chance I get, I go! I was just recently there for breakfast with my wife. The building itself is pretty old and the decor is nothing special. Everything seems a little run down.

But....that is where the bad things stop! It don't decide whether I like a restaurant or not based on the decor, but rather based on the food, service, and cleanliness! I can tell you from my experience that all 3 are top notch!

The menu is your typical deli style and the food was excellent and very fresh. I had the roasted red pepper and mushroom quiche. It was served with some bread and two thin slices of apples. The quiche itself was wonderful! It was piping hot and ooey gooey good! It almost melted in my mouth. The crust on it was flaky and light. My wife had the crab quiche and that was also excellent - although it was very crabby (in a good way). We also split a fresh fruit salad and actually had to wait for it because they were in the process of cutting the fruit. If definitely tasted like it was fresh. We both had coffee and neither of our glasses were ever empty.

The cleanliness. Not much to say here. The tables and floors were clean and free of debris. I didn't see any bugs! I did not use the rest room so I can not comment on that.

The service was wonderful. My wife arrived a couple minutes before I did and she already had coffee waiting for me when I arrived. Within minutes, our server asked if we were ready and we had not looked at the menu yet. She politely asked if we would like to hear what quiches they had today and then, after she told us, she let us alone. She did not come back too fast to take our order (feels like pressuring us), nor did she take a long time to come back. After ordering we waited about 10 minutes for our food. She checked back to make sure everything was okay and it seemed like we did not hear from her again until we needed our bill. Which, by the way, she was right there when we were ready!

Overall, this is a very quiet, yet busy, little deli/restaurant which I hope will thrive for many years. Together, we spend less than $20 for a very filling breakfast in which we never felt any pressure to hurry. It was nice to actually get to sit and talk for a bit in today's hectic world.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“my favorite Chambersburg lunch spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

This place is my first choice for a non-chain lunch spot. My favorite sandwich is A Bird To The Wise, a triple-layer of toasted raisin bread filled with chicken salad made with pineapple and, I think, some kind of nuts (almonds or walnuts, I would guess). Anyway, you don't analyze the ingredients, you just think, "yummm!". There's no pressure from the staff to finish and move on, so it's a great place to meet a friend and chat.

• Visited July 2011