“Okay for the price” 3 of 5 stars

2920 National Pike, Box 240, Route 40 East, Chalk Hill, PA 15421   |
alma, mi
“Okay for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

This is a great area, close to Falling Water and river rafting. My son and I stayed at the Lodge at Chalk Hill - the reception desk welcome was rather cool, but the room was fine. It's right off the road, but set back enough so that it was quiet. The breakfast was okay, but the bare minimum (plain bagels, limited cereal selection) and not very inspiring.

We ate dinner at the Summit Inn, which was good. While I didn't stay at the Summit, it appeared nice. The Lodge at Chalk Hill was okay for us, and probably as good as anything in Ohiopyle.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

I have no clue where the people stayed at but there's no way it was the Lodge at Chalk Hill. As soon as I opened the door the carpet was filthy and a pungent odor poured out. The "white" towels in the bathroom were brown. There were stains all over the sheets, the walls were filthy, the sliding door to the patio was broken, and the front door looked like someone had tried to break it open. It was so bad we demanded a refund 5 minutes after we walked in. They gave it to us along with no apology. Do not stay here...run as fast as you can!

• Stayed July 2011

Travelers are raving about these Chalk Hill hotels

Franklin, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

Checked in to our room and was surprised to see how dirty the room was. We opened the bathroom door and I think the towels we supposed to be white but were other colors. We asked for a non-smoking room and was told it was but smelled like smoke and even had a ash tray in it. pulled back the covers and bedding was awful. The only reason we did not leave was we got there late and had no other choice.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Far Rockaway, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

Me and few of my buddies took a trip down from NY to go white water rafting in the area and was saw thing place online. First I was hesitated to book a room here; however because everyone were excited for this long trip we took our chances...upon arriving, this place looked totally gorgeous and huge with a big lake out in front. Staff was very friendly and helpful during check-inn process and recommending nearby restaurants n places to visit. Our room was clean overlooking the big lake with a private deck. Breakfast was continental but would been better to have hott boiled eggs, donut or waffles. Regardless, me n my friends enjoyed this place a lot and would definitely recommend it to others visiting in this area. Lastly, one helpful hint if u r one of those always looking for discounts or better offer which I wish I knew early before booking....trying booking through their own website rather than 3rd party sites because I noticed their rates to be cheaper on their website...don't know why but I would rather care less as long as I was saving sum extra $$.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Canton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

My wife and I completely fell in love with this place when we first walked in. We were traveling with our two dogs as well. I pulled back the curtain covering the sliding glass door to take our dogs outside. What a gorgeous deck!!! It was really nice! Only downfall of the deck is it was covered with 3 to 4 feet of snow. The snow was beautiful though and didn't detract from our stay at all. All four of us got a great night's sleep! The next morning we woke to get our day started. My wife was the first person in the shower. After being in the shower for 5 minutes, I heard an agonizing cry. I ran in to see what was the matter. She had turned the shower off and was shivering uncontrollably. She told me "the hot water was great for the 5 minutes that I had it". Mind you, neither one of us had run any type of water that morning to have drained the hot water that quickly. And, she had the faucet in the shower all the way on H. After she finished her shower, I waited for about a half hour before taking mine. I knew I'd have to go quickly. The hot water lasted even less for me than it had for her. The thing is folks, each unit also has it's own hot water tank. At first, I thought that was a VERY good thing. Was the hot water tank in our room bad? Don't know. Was it too small for the unit? Could be. All I know is mountain well water in the winter is COOOOLLLLLDDDDD! And, I wouldn't think the water would end up being that frigid after 5 minutes of use.

Other than both of us taking freezing cold showers, this place was worth what we paid. I would have rated it higher had it not been for lack of hot water. The decor is outdated but my wife and I could care less about that kind of stuff. A clean room is what we look for and it was indeed clean. The views were great, the deck was great, the beds were comfortable, the room was clean, but the water was COLD!!!!

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

If you're visiting Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater, I highly recommend the lodge at chalk hill (about a 15-minute drive). We arrived in the evening and weren't sure what we were going to get but it was a very pleasant place! We stayed in an efficiency suite with 2 bedrooms with TV and bathroom, and eat-in kitchen ($120 for 5 adults). There are also regular rooms. Very clean, nice like a boutique motel, much like your typical vacation rental. GREAT deck outside the door where we ate dinner. All the rooms seem to have outdoor areas where you can relax with deck chairs, tables, etc.
All in all it was a quiet, clean, rustic and beautiful little town of chalk hill and place to stay! Everyone in our group really wished we could have stayed there longer!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Brunswick, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

We had a very easy check-in and out. The hotel was very clean and we would definately stay there again. We loved to see the lake frozen and wonderful white trees to get us in mood for xmas holidays. Great location an all around beautiful attractions. breakfast was great addition and very friendly staff

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Been to The Lodge at Chalk Hill? Share your experiences!