“Winterthur room was lovely, but some reservations” 3 of 5 stars

The Pennsbury Inn
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   883 Baltimore Pike, Chadds Ford, PA 19317   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Chadds Ford B&B and Inns
Atlantic City, New Jersey
“Winterthur room was lovely, but some reservations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

Our room was spacious , lovely windows, clean, bathroom nice. Lots of hot water. we really enjoyed it
If you were in a room at the front, the traffic noise would very likely be an issue ( we were there on a Monday night, big trucks early morning, plenty of traffic)
The kitchen ( that you walk through and where your breakfast is made) needs a big clean
It is very cluttered in an accumulation of a lifetime, cosy sort of way, which will probably work for you, if you like that style
One of our hosts was very helpful, one not so
Much- a little regimented

• Stayed April 2014
weigandygoose, Owner at The Pennsbury Inn, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
I'm so glad that you enjoyed your room and am very sorry that my kitchen offended you. It is cluttered, yes, but then again, baking breads, snacks, coffeecakes, etc. and preparing and cooking omelets, quiches, waffles, French toast and the like, for up to 18 guests a day, takes a lot of equipment and supplies, not to mention the fresh flower arrangements that I also assemble in the kitchen in the afternoons. By the way the kitchen is cleaned three times a day, after breakfast, after flower arranging and after snack preparation.
We could have taken part of the garden room to enlarge the kitchen, but then that would have cut down on our guests’ room to enjoy lounging in front of the walk-in fireplace in the winter and enjoying the gardens through the floor to ceiling windows in other seasons. We also could have closed the kitchen off, denying guest access, but we've learned that the majority of guests enjoy interacting with the innkeepers. Keep in mind having been in many restaurant and inn kitchens, you wouldn’t want to see what’s behind many “closed” doors.
I do apologize for the not-so-helpful & regimented host, but in pain from a hip replacement gone wrong, he does his best in a bad situation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Centerport, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Several college friends and I recently had a reunion at the Pennsbury Inn. It worked out very well. Of our four rooms, one came with a private living room, complete with a fireplace. At the end of the day, we would gather, have a drink (which we brought with us) and enjoy the fire. Every morning, we had a lovely and unique breakfast, also by a fire. The Inn is very centrally located for a number of activities in the Brandywine areas. The innkeepers were quite helpful in terms of making dinner reservations, securing limo services, etc.

Room Tip: Try the Four Seasons for a romantic weekend
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

The Pennsbury Inn is the ideal spot for family or group reunions. Our group of 7 college friends met there for a long weekend, and the accommodations were perfect. We had our own beautiful and comfy private living room for socializing with a warming fire every evening over this damp, cool weekend. The rooms and bathrooms were beautifully appointed with every convenience you could possibly need. Breakfasts were large and delicious, and Cheryl and Chip did everything possible to accommodate us, both before and during our stay. The grounds and gardens appear to be beautiful. We will need to return in warmer weather to appreciate them.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Lincolnville, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

We spent two nights and were charmed by everything about this B&B. It is located in the beautiful rolling hills of the Brandywine Valley and two days were not enough to see everything in the area. Having lived in regions of the country where faux colonial decor abounds, we were thrilled to experience its authentic colonial architecture. Chip and Cheryl, the hosts, were gracious and welcoming, and each morning lit a crackling fire in the immense fireplace before breakfast was served. We were welcome to use any of the many common rooms which were quite comfortable. They also provide a turn down service which made us feel very pampered.
Having no special dietary concerns, we enjoyed the posted breakfast menu items of the day which include homemade jams and seasonal breads, a wonderful homemade granola as well as a hot entree. I noticed that Cheryl accommodated the special requests of other guests, so let her know if you must have a special diet. My only regret is that because we were there in early March after an unusually cold winter, the gardens were not yet in bloom.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
East Brunswick, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Chip and Cheryl were gracious host and hostess. They spared no effort to accommodating our special needs. They paid attention to details to make us feel comfortable. Food was delicious and plentiful. The inn is charming and decorated in fine taste. The grounds are serene and beautiful maintained. The Inn is in a great area with lots to do.

We will be back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Darby, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

This veteran's day I lucked up to snag a veteran's comp room at The Pennsbury Inn. little did I know I would have a family emergency that caused me to have a late check in . Chip welcomed my arrival. All I wanted was to watch Monday Night Football but when I got to my room Cheryl had a snack for me and when I left for work the next day I had a wonderful commuter breakfast. They sent me off to work with a beautiful note saying I could get another comp night. Chip and Cheryl made my day with their hospitality . The area was beautiful. tucker the dog was funny and the bed comfortable. the room was clean can't drive fast or you will miss the turn I know. My family emergency was family friend passed away so that one night was needed. Thank you Chip & Cheryl.

Room Tip: The Daniel Webster Room to get Hot Water in the Shower you run water in the sink for 3 miniutes.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Cheryl G, Owner at The Pennsbury Inn, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
It only seemed fair to comp you another night, when you arrived so late and had to leave at the crack of dawn, the next day. You never had time to enjoy all that we offer!

We'll look forward to having you again.
Downingtown, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

The Pennsbury Inn offers a free stay to veterans on Veteran's Day. This year my wife and I took them up on this generous offer, as did a few other couples, and we're very happy that we did. The Inn and its gardens are beautiful and peaceful. The rooms are clean, comfortable and full of character. Chip and Cheryl are warm people and very hospitable hosts who clearly enjoy what they do and do it well. They went out of their way to ensure that all the guests had a pleasant stay and found local restaurants and attractions of interest. We all had a great time, and I would recommend the Pennsbury without reservations to any travelers to the Chadd's Ford area.

My wife and I stayed at the Pennsbury Inn on Veteran's Day with a few other couples. They are one of the B&B's that offer a free night to veterans

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We wish that we had more rooms to give away to our well-deserving veterans, and hope that next year more of the area B&B's will participate.

We will certainly be participating on Veteran's Day-2014!

Been to The Pennsbury Inn? Share your experiences!