“A gem in Longwood Gardens!” 5 of 5 stars

The Pennsbury Inn
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   883 Baltimore Pike, Chadds Ford, PA 19317   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Chadds Ford B&B and Inns
Union City, New Jersey
“A gem in Longwood Gardens!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is my 1st TripAdvisor review, but I felt compelled to express our great satisfaction with our stay. The owners are the most adorable, tactful & attentive hosts that we could have asked for. This was our 1st stay at this type of the setting –the Inn - & we were a little "nervous", but we felt right at home - really taken care off & pampered. The breakfast was the most delicious -- with freshly baked goods (popovers were excellent! 1st time trying them - I even got a recipe), carefully selected jams & unbelievable entrees which changed daily. My daughter, who was 3, received her own "little" serving set, a sippy cup & a special-shape pancake (not to mention a little bear Cheryl was so kind to gift her). We visited during the Christmas time & Cheryl did an amazing job decorating the Inn, really uplifting the Holiday Spirit. Our Christmas tradition was going to the NYC to see the Rockefeller Center Xmas Tree, but we are seriously considering changing it in favor of Pennsbury Inn & Christmas Display at Longwood Gardens. We are looking forward to going back to Pennsbury Inn this coming Holiday Season.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

82 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Rockville Centre, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I spent two lovely nights at the Pennsbury Inn.

Originally I had booked one night. By the time I realized we needed two nights to enjoy some of what the area had to offer, the room I wanted for the second night had been booked. So, we were able to experience two different rooms. The premier Winterthur, and the smaller with a private bath down the hall John Marshall. We were very comfortable in both, but there is no comparison; the Winterthur is enchanting. Just be warned that there are different levels in the suite. You will be negotiating a few steps for a night-time visit to the bathroom.

We enjoyed sitting by the fire, walking the grounds, and touring the building with Chip, our friendly innkeeper. The rooms are decorated with many interesting collections. We just missed the Halloween decorations, but there were many harvest themed items in each room. I’d love to see what’s displayed for Christmas.

Breakfast was lovely, tasty and plentiful. We found home-made cookies or brownies in our room each afternoon. Plenty of snacks for when you sit by the windows watching the birds.

I had read the other reviews about the Inn and must respond to two comments. “Too rustic” couldn’t get hot water. We had no trouble in either room and the inn was completely booked. You only have to make sure that the shower head is not turned to restrict the water flow. “Clutter” commented about the clutter in the entrance room. Yes, the room is very busy, but it also serves as an office. There is a mixture of business [office desk, brochures, maps, etc] plus collections that decorate every room. There is a lot of stuff, but this room is a work place with pretty items on display.
My two cents:
Accessing the Inn from the main road is tricky. The driveway entrance takes you to a level lower than the road, and the Inn is not easily seen. We looked for the yellow [?] flag as our marker.
If you have a problem with uneven floors and steps, be warned. I kept missing the step into the kitchen.
We very much enjoyed our stay and hope to return in the near future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife and I just spent three nights in the Pennsbury Inn – and we loved it! I’m a big fan of B&B’s and have been to quite a few. The Pennsbury Inn is my favorite one so far. The house is amazing – a real historical treasure dating from Revolutionary times. Like many historical homes, it has been built in stages over the years so it has lots of interesting rooms, each with its own character. Chip and Cheryl do a wonderful job of making you feel welcome and providing information on the area. Wireless service was flawless, with two routers providing good coverage over the entire house.

We were there in late November, and really enjoyed the wonderful breakfasts in front of a cozy fire. Our room was lovely, and even though it faced the road it was quiet.

Chip went out of his way to ask about breakfast preferences and the food was interesting, plentiful and well prepared. Fresh bread, coffee, tea and hot chocolate are available starting at 7:30, and breakfast is served until 10.

If you prefer a standardized, predictable experience, a hotel might be more to your liking. But if you like history, a bit of serendipity, a home-like environment and warm hosts – you’d be hard pressed to find a better place to stay. And, if, like me, you have a soft spot for dogs, you will love Tucker. I spent several very happy hours in front of the fire with Tucker curled up on my lap. I think that’s the part I’ll miss the most!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Longwood room. As in many old homes, the stairs are a bit steep. Closing the door t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Just got back from a 3-day stay at this award-winning & reasonably priced B&B, the PERFECT combination of relaxed, charming, and historical. It’s a designated Wildlife Habitat with 4 acres of promenades, gardens, quiet corners and paths and nooks. The 18th-century home, a former Underground Railroad shelter with fascinating history, is full of antiques, tasteful crafts, and curios from the hosts’ extensive travels. Chip and Cheryl are super-helpful and friendly and know everything about the many area attractions and history, but they are also sensitive to guests’ preferences for alone time. We were really impressed with all the extra touches like pre-warmed mugs for coffee and tea, and homemade applesauce. We spent yesterday morning curled up in comfy chairs in front of the ginormous stone fireplace with mugs of our favorite drinks, watching through expansive windows as the snow swirled and 6+ kinds of birds flocked to the birdfeeders. My friends, it doesn’t get any better than that.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We had four nights here at the end of our tour of New England so that we could visit the Wyeth studos and museum. Chip and Cheryl are great hosts and the inn is set in fantastic gardens, close to many local attractions. The room was beautifully presented and clean and the little treats such as brownies or cookies on the bed at night were a lovely touch.
Our only concern was the busy main road as we were visiting from the UK, so obviously driving on "the wrong side of the highway" and therefore a bit scary. Beware, nobody sticks to the speed limit. If you stay here be sure to get very clear directions from the hosts before you arrive. Otherwise a very good stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dickerson, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

After lots of on-line research we picked the Pennsbury Inn based on photos and reviews. While the location is convenient to the many attractions of the area the home is right on top of a very busy road and thankfully it was cool enough that we did not open windows. While it was basically clean, the entire house is so cluttered it was uninviting, but I guess to each, their own. Our major problem was the bathroom. We used to live in a farm house built in 1818 (on a well) and so we know old. Of the 7 showers taken, 4 were either cold or uncomfortably chilly and the amount of water was hardly enough to get wet with. At times the stream dropped to the size of my finger. The commode while "quaint" had such a small opening my husband (who is a big man) had trouble using it. To quote the inn's note to run the sink faucet for 3 minutes to get hot water, "we know it's a pain" but upgrade the plumbing please. The grounds are lovely and the breakfasts were good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
innkeepersnakey, Owner at The Pennsbury Inn, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
I sincerely apologize for not responding to this review earlier but my review alerts go to an email address that has been malfunctioning for a few months, so I was unaware of it.

I think if you look over our reviews, you’ll find that you’re right, “to each their own”, as many find my “clutter” invitingly comfortable.

I’m so glad that you enjoyed the gardens and my breakfasts, so that your stay was not a total loss. We stay in Manhattan frequently & stayed in city hotels in Europe, when we lived in Germany, as well as relais and gasthauses, much older than our c.1714 inn. You’re certainly right that the various city “noises” even on a modern hotel’s 24th floor and the modern “sounds” that come through walls constructed in the 18th century and beyond, can be distracting, but we’ve always considered them part of that particular ambiance. If you look around, even in the U.S., most homes built for people of means were on major thoroughfares, and believe me this was no poor family’s house, and every modern hotel in this area is right on the same road we are, Baltimore Pike a.k.a. Route 1. I’m surprised that you didn’t take advantage of the sound machine prominently displayed, for light sleepers.

As to our plumbing, it is all recently updated, even the “reproduction” high tank, European style toilets are new, and I’m so sorry that your husband found the standard size toilet seat uncomfortable. Re: hot water- We do have a prominently displayed sign, in two of our rooms, explaining that the water should be run into the sink for a few minutes, before taking a shower to bring up the hot water, as they are each the furthest away from their respective hot water heaters. as is true in any old house

I suspect that your problem with the stream of water from the shower was caused by either the occupant before you or you or your husband adjusting the dial on the shower which controls the force of the flow, as it worked before you came and after you left.

Again I apologize for any discomfort, but what concerns me most is that although Chip stresses at check-in that the slightest concern should be brought to his or my attention, (That same request is printed on the invoice we hand you at check-in) in a three night stay neither you nor your husband mentioned anything, to either of us.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We spent two nights at the Pennsbury for a weekend getaway. I must admitt I am not a big fan of B & B's. But... we had a lovely stay. It's very well located, close to many of the Brandywine attractions.The inn's grounds are beautiful. If your looking for home-like and charming this is the place. Chip the owner is chockful of information on the area. He also can tell you wonderful historical stories about the inn which makes staying there that much more interesting. Breakfast was plentiful, our room was cozy and the bath towels were a fluffy treat! If you are a lover of B & B's this one will not disappoint!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Pennsbury Inn? Share your experiences!