“You SO need to go here!” 5 of 5 stars

The Pennsbury Inn
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   883 Baltimore Pike, Chadds Ford, PA 19317   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Chadds Ford B&B and Inns
Alexandria, Virginia
“You SO need to go here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Just got back from a 3-day stay at this award-winning & reasonably priced B&B, the PERFECT combination of relaxed, charming, and historical. It’s a designated Wildlife Habitat with 4 acres of promenades, gardens, quiet corners and paths and nooks. The 18th-century home, a former Underground Railroad shelter with fascinating history, is full of antiques, tasteful crafts, and curios from the hosts’ extensive travels. Chip and Cheryl are super-helpful and friendly and know everything about the many area attractions and history, but they are also sensitive to guests’ preferences for alone time. We were really impressed with all the extra touches like pre-warmed mugs for coffee and tea, and homemade applesauce. We spent yesterday morning curled up in comfy chairs in front of the ginormous stone fireplace with mugs of our favorite drinks, watching through expansive windows as the snow swirled and 6+ kinds of birds flocked to the birdfeeders. My friends, it doesn’t get any better than that.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We had four nights here at the end of our tour of New England so that we could visit the Wyeth studos and museum. Chip and Cheryl are great hosts and the inn is set in fantastic gardens, close to many local attractions. The room was beautifully presented and clean and the little treats such as brownies or cookies on the bed at night were a lovely touch.
Our only concern was the busy main road as we were visiting from the UK, so obviously driving on "the wrong side of the highway" and therefore a bit scary. Beware, nobody sticks to the speed limit. If you stay here be sure to get very clear directions from the hosts before you arrive. Otherwise a very good stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dickerson, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

After lots of on-line research we picked the Pennsbury Inn based on photos and reviews. While the location is convenient to the many attractions of the area the home is right on top of a very busy road and thankfully it was cool enough that we did not open windows. While it was basically clean, the entire house is so cluttered it was uninviting, but I guess to each, their own. Our major problem was the bathroom. We used to live in a farm house built in 1818 (on a well) and so we know old. Of the 7 showers taken, 4 were either cold or uncomfortably chilly and the amount of water was hardly enough to get wet with. At times the stream dropped to the size of my finger. The commode while "quaint" had such a small opening my husband (who is a big man) had trouble using it. To quote the inn's note to run the sink faucet for 3 minutes to get hot water, "we know it's a pain" but upgrade the plumbing please. The grounds are lovely and the breakfasts were good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
innkeepersnakey, Owner at The Pennsbury Inn, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
I sincerely apologize for not responding to this review earlier but my review alerts go to an email address that has been malfunctioning for a few months, so I was unaware of it.

I think if you look over our reviews, you’ll find that you’re right, “to each their own”, as many find my “clutter” invitingly comfortable.

I’m so glad that you enjoyed the gardens and my breakfasts, so that your stay was not a total loss. We stay in Manhattan frequently & stayed in city hotels in Europe, when we lived in Germany, as well as relais and gasthauses, much older than our c.1714 inn. You’re certainly right that the various city “noises” even on a modern hotel’s 24th floor and the modern “sounds” that come through walls constructed in the 18th century and beyond, can be distracting, but we’ve always considered them part of that particular ambiance. If you look around, even in the U.S., most homes built for people of means were on major thoroughfares, and believe me this was no poor family’s house, and every modern hotel in this area is right on the same road we are, Baltimore Pike a.k.a. Route 1. I’m surprised that you didn’t take advantage of the sound machine prominently displayed, for light sleepers.

As to our plumbing, it is all recently updated, even the “reproduction” high tank, European style toilets are new, and I’m so sorry that your husband found the standard size toilet seat uncomfortable. Re: hot water- We do have a prominently displayed sign, in two of our rooms, explaining that the water should be run into the sink for a few minutes, before taking a shower to bring up the hot water, as they are each the furthest away from their respective hot water heaters. as is true in any old house

I suspect that your problem with the stream of water from the shower was caused by either the occupant before you or you or your husband adjusting the dial on the shower which controls the force of the flow, as it worked before you came and after you left.

Again I apologize for any discomfort, but what concerns me most is that although Chip stresses at check-in that the slightest concern should be brought to his or my attention, (That same request is printed on the invoice we hand you at check-in) in a three night stay neither you nor your husband mentioned anything, to either of us.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We spent two nights at the Pennsbury for a weekend getaway. I must admitt I am not a big fan of B & B's. But... we had a lovely stay. It's very well located, close to many of the Brandywine attractions.The inn's grounds are beautiful. If your looking for home-like and charming this is the place. Chip the owner is chockful of information on the area. He also can tell you wonderful historical stories about the inn which makes staying there that much more interesting. Breakfast was plentiful, our room was cozy and the bath towels were a fluffy treat! If you are a lover of B & B's this one will not disappoint!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Annapolis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

After researching inns in the Kennett Square area, I was almost certain that I wanted to stay at Pennsbury Inn, due to its lovely rooms and beautiful surroundings. I then called to find out if Pennsbury Inn could accomodate a guest with gluten-free dietary needs. Rather than comprehending my question, the person who answered the phone went on a rant about how this was not a restaurant, they "could not make everything." I certainly never would have thought that. All I had wanted to know was if the inn could prevent cross-contamination with wheat in the kitchen! (which is serious for someone with a gluten allergy.) Due to the gentleman's abrupt and condescending attitude, my family and I certainly will not be booking a room here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
innkeepersnakey, Owner at The Pennsbury Inn, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
First let me apologize
When you said goodbye, after our phone call you were very pleasant and I had no idea that I had displeased you in any way. And if you had told me so, I might have said some of what follows:
When you called it was late and I was dozing off. I answered your question about gluten free accommodation in my usual way.
We have been accommodating folks who have asked for gluten free meals for years. I can think of 20 or 30 people over the last two years who have given us very positive feedback on our handling their special needs. One lady asked for a recipe.
When you mentioned that what I said wasn’t what you were inquiring about and you used the term “cross contamination”- you took me by surprise. Not one guest, who has asked for gluten free has ever mentioned “cross contamination”. I realized that I didn’t know about what you were asking, and it was different from what we had encountered before. (I have since done research on the Celiac Disease Foundation website)
I never want any guest to come here and be uncomfortable - but I especially don’t want them to come and be uncomfortable (or worse, sick) because I gave them a false sense of security or a “sales pitch”.
So I told you there would be regular breads and foods on the table if there were other guests.
I also told you that we are not a restaurant and have a normal family kitchen.
I wanted you to know the situation so you could make your own decision as to our ability to handle “cross contamination”. You were not satisfied and started to ask about “ordering …
I did cut you off because you were not picturing our situation. I told you that we can’t just take orders but we can work ahead of time to accommodate special needs.
If repeating the same info is a rant, then I again apologize but frankly the seriousness of harming someone with special dietary needs that could come from “cross contamination” scared me and I wanted you to decide if we were capable. Again you politely thanked me and said goodbye.
I have since learned that some people with celiac disease need to have their food prepared with separate utensils and bowls. While other situations require a good cleaning between preparations of the gluten free and the gluten contained foods.
Because of your alerting me to this situation I will now ask folks what their needs are, when they advise us of their situation.

Note to Trip Advisor
I am concerned that this review was made after a phone call and not after a stay. Did they click a rating for the things below, as well:

Service Select one 1 2 3 4 5

Room Service

Room Service Select one 1 2 3 4 5
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

This Inn is just delightful. We had the Daniel Webster room and it was bright and cheery. The owners were very helpful in finding us a place for dinner. Breakfast was very substantial. Lovely grounds to walk around in. Very cozy and comforting. Hope to be able to go back.

Room Tip: Daniel Webster was a charming and delightful room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My wife and I just had a delightful stay at The Pennsbury Inn. This 250 year old inn is full of charm, history, and comfort. The innkeepers,Chip and Cheryl add so much to the enjoyment of being at the inn. Be sure to ask Chip to give you his history tour of the inn. He is as entertaining as he is informative. And the gardens around the inn only add to the wonder of it all.

Room Tip: We stayed in The Winterthur Room with its giant windows overlooking the gardens. Be sure to ask for...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Pennsbury Inn? Share your experiences!