“Historic B & B” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Chadds Ford B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Historic B & B”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We spent two nights at the Pennsbury for a weekend getaway. I must admitt I am not a big fan of B & B's. But... we had a lovely stay. It's very well located, close to many of the Brandywine attractions.The inn's grounds are beautiful. If your looking for home-like and charming this is the place. Chip the owner is chockful of information on the area. He also can tell you wonderful historical stories about the inn which makes staying there that much more interesting. Breakfast was plentiful, our room was cozy and the bath towels were a fluffy treat! If you are a lover of B & B's this one will not disappoint!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Annapolis, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

After researching inns in the Kennett Square area, I was almost certain that I wanted to stay at Pennsbury Inn, due to its lovely rooms and beautiful surroundings. I then called to find out if Pennsbury Inn could accomodate a guest with gluten-free dietary needs. Rather than comprehending my question, the person who answered the phone went on a rant about how this was not a restaurant, they "could not make everything." I certainly never would have thought that. All I had wanted to know was if the inn could prevent cross-contamination with wheat in the kitchen! (which is serious for someone with a gluten allergy.) Due to the gentleman's abrupt and condescending attitude, my family and I certainly will not be booking a room here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
innkeepersnakey, Owner at The Pennsbury Inn, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
First let me apologize
When you said goodbye, after our phone call you were very pleasant and I had no idea that I had displeased you in any way. And if you had told me so, I might have said some of what follows:
When you called it was late and I was dozing off. I answered your question about gluten free accommodation in my usual way.
We have been accommodating folks who have asked for gluten free meals for years. I can think of 20 or 30 people over the last two years who have given us very positive feedback on our handling their special needs. One lady asked for a recipe.
When you mentioned that what I said wasn’t what you were inquiring about and you used the term “cross contamination”- you took me by surprise. Not one guest, who has asked for gluten free has ever mentioned “cross contamination”. I realized that I didn’t know about what you were asking, and it was different from what we had encountered before. (I have since done research on the Celiac Disease Foundation website)
I never want any guest to come here and be uncomfortable - but I especially don’t want them to come and be uncomfortable (or worse, sick) because I gave them a false sense of security or a “sales pitch”.
So I told you there would be regular breads and foods on the table if there were other guests.
I also told you that we are not a restaurant and have a normal family kitchen.
I wanted you to know the situation so you could make your own decision as to our ability to handle “cross contamination”. You were not satisfied and started to ask about “ordering …
I did cut you off because you were not picturing our situation. I told you that we can’t just take orders but we can work ahead of time to accommodate special needs.
If repeating the same info is a rant, then I again apologize but frankly the seriousness of harming someone with special dietary needs that could come from “cross contamination” scared me and I wanted you to decide if we were capable. Again you politely thanked me and said goodbye.
I have since learned that some people with celiac disease need to have their food prepared with separate utensils and bowls. While other situations require a good cleaning between preparations of the gluten free and the gluten contained foods.
Because of your alerting me to this situation I will now ask folks what their needs are, when they advise us of their situation.

Note to Trip Advisor
I am concerned that this review was made after a phone call and not after a stay. Did they click a rating for the things below, as well:

Service Select one 1 2 3 4 5

Room Service

Room Service Select one 1 2 3 4 5
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

This Inn is just delightful. We had the Daniel Webster room and it was bright and cheery. The owners were very helpful in finding us a place for dinner. Breakfast was very substantial. Lovely grounds to walk around in. Very cozy and comforting. Hope to be able to go back.

Room Tip: Daniel Webster was a charming and delightful room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My wife and I just had a delightful stay at The Pennsbury Inn. This 250 year old inn is full of charm, history, and comfort. The innkeepers,Chip and Cheryl add so much to the enjoyment of being at the inn. Be sure to ask Chip to give you his history tour of the inn. He is as entertaining as he is informative. And the gardens around the inn only add to the wonder of it all.

Room Tip: We stayed in The Winterthur Room with its giant windows overlooking the gardens. Be sure to ask for...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Mountainside, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Just spent a night at Pennsbury Inn, only negative was climbing the original stairs (narrow and winding) to the Gen. Lafayette room. Chip, the host, was welcoming and accommodating, ably assisted by Tucker, his rescued shelter dog. 4 acres of magnificent gardens surround the building, and while on a busy road, our room was quiet, with no traffic noise coming in. Bed was comfortable, room whimsically decorated, and private bath was adequate, which is fine for a building that old. (Yes, it was indoors.) Magazines and newspapers throughout public spaces, plenty of seating in various rooms. Sodas/water available at all hours. Communal dining for breakfast. Located very near Longwood Gardens, across the road from an antique center, and convenient to numerous restaurants, I would recommend Pennsbury to any and all who enjoy B&B's.

Room Tip: Ask about access before picking room. Most via normal staircase, but Gen. Lafayette you must be able...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at The Pennsbury Inn, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay. This is the first time that our cutie, Tucker, was mentioned but I'm sure not the last. Though he's only been with us a few months, he's very quickly becoming a highlight for guests. I also appreciate your mentioning how quiet your room was, even though on the front of the house, as those stone walls between 18 & 24" thick, really insulate well. We certainly hope that you'll come back again when you can spend more time and truly enjoy this treasure filled area.
East Dorset, Vermont, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Picked out the Pennsbury Inn from their web site and the Trip Advisor reviews - worked out great for a mis May visit to the gradens in the area. Cheryl and Chip were very friendly and knowledgeable about the area - steered us to a couple of really good restaurants. Winterhthur room overlooking the garden was very comfortable. Gardens are spectacular. We will stay again. Tom & Sylvia Smith

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Our visit was a delight. The friendly, helpful innkeepers are available at all times to answer all sorts of questions and give suggestions when asked. They are wonderfully informed about the history of their 1714 house, and the local region. The house has many common rooms downstairs - comfortable, many daily newspapers provided. The gardens are extensive, beautiful and a pleasure after a day's outing. (The location is superb for visiting the major area attractions). The room we were in was comfortable and well appointed, although the road noise was noticeable when the windows were open since our room faced the road. There were evening snacks and we were presented with champagne because it was our anniversary - a graceful touch. Coffee and snacks and cold drinks are available (no cost) all day, all night. Breakfast was at the guests' convenience, not the inn-keepers (in contrast to other B&Bs when breakfast was at a fixed time or not at all). We intend to return the next time we're in the area.

Room Tip: Facing the garden is quieter.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Pennsbury Inn? Share your experiences!