“Something has gone seriously wrong with the Brandywine River Hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Brandywine River Hotel

Save Saved
You added Brandywine River Hotel to your Saves list
Brandywine River Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1609 Baltimore Pike, Building 300, Chadds Ford, PA 19317   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Chadds Ford
“Something has gone seriously wrong with the Brandywine River Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This hotel is in a beautiful scenic area surrounded by great restaurants (Brandywine Prime/Antica) in Andrew Wyeth country but I put up a friend there recently and it went from bad to worse. Customer service is seriously lacking. There appears to be no supervisory staff and the staff that does work there just a little shady. Charged both my credit card and my friends credit card for the stay and it took no less than half a dozen calls over two weeks to get it corrected. Left a cell charger that they indicated they would mail to her. Another half a dozen calls over a month and still no charger. So I stopped in to retrieve it and was told by some male texting in the lobby that it was sent COD. Really.....I asked for more clarification and was told someone would call me. Surprise;they never did. Who the heck owns this hotel and where is the management staff?

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

139 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Philadelphia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

My boyfriend and I went here for a birthday trip to explore the winery's. He chose this hotel based on the great reviews it had. But that's the point, this hotel was at one point probably really nice. It definitely needs A LOT of updating. It's hidden on the side of the highway. Not really classy. We walked in and immediatly it smelled like an old apartment. Our room was on the second floor. It was so old school. The covers were that of an 80 year old woman. And so was the furniture...but at least it matched I guess. The tv was facing the couch. Not even close to the bed. My boyfriend moved the armour it was in so we could watch tv in bed. And what I found behind the armour was a pair of old underwear. Do they even clean the hotel room? Never has that happened to me before. So disgusting.
The bathroom:
The jacuzzi tub literally is a bath tub with jets. It was yellow and the tile around it was cracked. It looked like it hadn't been used in years. And i was not about to be the first. Now for the shower. It had a mind of its own. Don't bother using the knobs to find the right temperature. It randomly goes the firey pits of hell hot. Even when we turned the hot water all the way off, it was still hot. The toilet wouldn't flush unless you held down the lever for a good 5 minutes. That's 5 minutes of my life that I could've been anywhere but inside that hotel.
The iron they had was also dirty. It had black stuff in it which ended up on my boyfriends white shorts.
The only good thing to say about this hotel is that the sheets were very white. And that's where the positives end.
Stay at the Hampton inn just a couple miles down the right. I'm sure it would be much better than this place. But then again, I'm sure camping would be better than this place

• Stayed July 2014
daysspringfield, General Manager at Brandywine River Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear XZ5010,

I am sorry if you were disappointed with your stay. Our hotel prides itself on being a quiet and quaint property, we believe its a part of the charm, while having modern amenities available for all of our valued guests. We have been in the process of updating and renovating the property this last year and hope to be finished very soon.

I spoke with all of my staff and there are no records of any complaints during your stay. We would always encourage guests to let us know if they need something, or if they are unhappy with the accommodations provided to them. We can only fix something for you if you let us know there is a problem.

Upon inspection of the room provided we found none of the issues you mentioned. Though it is important to us to let you know that we did investigate and follow up based on this review.

Thank you for your review and we can only hope that you would reconsider being our guest in the future.

Sincere Regards,

Raj Patel
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I highly recommend staying elsewhere.The staff is incredibility rude and treated myself and other guests with no respect. James, the staff member, working the night shift felt it was justified to barge into our hotel room. He walked right into the bathroom when a female was in there. He didn't apologize or show any concern. James needs assistance with customer service or he needs to find a new profession.
I reserved a hotel room with two double beds so that my husband and I could share a room with another couple. After checking out, I realized my credit card was charged $20 more than it should have been. I called the hotel and they explained that I was charged $10 per each extra adult. Their website and my email confirmation never shared that policy. I feel that I should be refunded the $20 because I was never informed of that "policy". The room sleeps four people so I don't see the issue.
I have been attempting to get in contact with the GM to discuss this issue. He doesn't ever seem to be at the hotel nor does he check his messages. I guess I can see where James and the other staff get their customer service skills.
This hotel is overpriced for the service and amenities they offer. The rooms are outdated and small. I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
daysspringfield, General Manager at Brandywine River Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear LoriAnnTravelBug,

At our hotel we take our customer service very seriously and I am sincerely sorry if your perception was that it was less then that. We respect your review as well as you opinion and while we apologize for your dissatisfaction, we do have to politely disagree about the circumstances and events as you have explained them in your review.

My night auditor did go to the room but the reason was that he was getting repeated phone calls from the room at 1:30 in the morning, coupled with a complaint about a smoke smell coming from your non smoking room, and several guests who were going in and out of the room at very late hours. He went to the room and knocked on the door to which someone answered. He asked who was the registered guest(s) on file and no one in the room was. I have to politely contend that he did not barge into the room nor did he did not walk into the bathroom or in on someone.

In reference to your complaint regarding the charge for additional guests in the room; If you go to our website it asks you to put in how many adults are staying. There is the difference between booking for two adults versus three and four. While a room may accommodate four adults it doesn't mean that that additional guests are free, particularly when you have booked for two adults only.

We value all of our guests and their comfort therefore it was our duty in this cases to address concerns and complaints of other occupants of the hotel on the night of your stay. We did not want to cause you discomfort and we do sincerely apologize to you. While we have to assert our right to politely disagree it doesn't mean we value you any less nor discount your interpretation of the night.

I hope in the future we will have the chance to serve you again, once again all the best from our entire hotel staff.

Sincere Regards,

Raj Patel
Wallingford, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Upon entering the Brandywine River Hotel in the fall or winter, you are greeted with a roaring fire in the small, but cozy lounge; this is only the beginning of a lovely stay in historic Chester County, PA. Though a bit larger, it reminds me of a boutique hotel with excellent service. The rooms are large and attractive. An office equipped with computers, phones, etc. is available 24/7 for business purposes, etc. The large dining room offers a wonderful breakfast buffet with everything one could want for a delicious start to the day. Cookies, tea and coffee are also waiting for guests in the afternoon. The hotel has a number of different sized rooms you can rent for family gatherings or meetings.

Step out the door into the roomy parking lot, and beautiful Chadds Ford spreads out around you. So many things to do! Wyeth Museum, House, and Studio; Longwood Gardens; Winterthur; other Dupont mansions; nearby Wilmington and Philadelphia. Amish country is an hour away.

There are at least 3 very nice restaurants a few steps away from the Brandywine, and many more in the area.

I've stayed here many times, and have always enjoyed my time at the Brandywine River Hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Staff is friendly. Clean; has a business center. But aside from the decor, not much different from the standard chain motel with a breakfast buffet.

A few years ago you could get a glass of wine in the evening in their cozy little lobby, but no longer.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Flemington, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Went to Chadds Ford to celebrate our 33rd anniversary. Had 2 great meals- The Gables and Brandywine Prime. Otherwise........not much to do in the area. Hotel was nice, easy access to Brandywine Prime.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel is located in a great area with 2 excellent restaurants in walking distance. Tea with cookies is served at 4:30 which is a nice touch. If you are traveling to Chadds Ford, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Brandywine River Hotel? Share your experiences!