“"Historic with Well Prepared Food"” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Fair Oaks, CA
“"Historic with Well Prepared Food"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We are spending the hoildays at our vacation home along Penns Creek. Our friends who joined us are train buffs so we decided to have dinner at the Whistle Stop. The building is historic and rustic. There are photos and prints of trains and memorabilia from the early days at the station.

We were greeted at the door. The service was friendly and our server was very familiar with the menu. Our party of four all ordered different entrees. We can recommend the broiled haddock, the char-broiled chicken and the pasta with shrimp. It was BBQ night and one of our friends had boneless ribs. The entree were well prepared and served hot from the kitchen. The Tuscan vegetables were done perfectly. The French onion soup was tasty and rich with onions. Side salads were ordinary with iceberg lettace, "winter" tomatoes and cucumbers but the house oil and garlic dressing was wonderful. All portions were generous. The house dressing is for sale at a most reasonable price. Wine and beer are not sold but you are welcome to bring your own bottle. There is no corkage fee. There are daily dinner specials including prime rib on Saturday. No reservations are necessary. it is a nice stop serving good food in rural central PA.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Looking for Good Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I had to get certified for my Cdl and ended up staying and extra day in central Pa with my wife. We were staying in a hotel in rural central Pa. with no big chain restaurants near us.We search the area around our hotel and found this place. Had the steak and crab cake and omg it was cooked perfect and was poprobably the best steak ive eaten this year.My wife had and open face roastbeef on texas toast plater with 2 sides . The place was unique and very homely. The portions were a nice size. Our bill was under $37 and was a bargain for the service and quantity.

• Visited October 2013
Gowanda, New York
“For a glimpse of the past”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I recently stopped here for lunch with my aunt and uncle on our way to Philly. We were quickly greeted and seated by the friendly wait staff. It was a bit chilly outside so we ordered soup, french onion, clam chowder and potato mushroom. All were delicious. The soups were followed by a three cheese grilled sandwich and my aunt and uncle shared a roast beef sandwich. Enjoyed by all. The best feature of the restaurant are the warm personalities of the folks working there, they make you feel like you're enjoying a meal at your family's home. My uncle enjoyed all the historical railroad gear and posters in the restored railroad station/car (restaurant).

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kutztown, Pennsylvania
“Real homemade food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and I where at Penns Cave this past week and decided to go for dinner before going to our hotel and as we were going through Centre Hall we saw this quaint little restaurant and decided to stop. It just so happened that this was Prime Rib night and so my husband had the 14oz portion and I had the Chicken Cordon Bleu. Both meals were very good and the potato cakes were definitely home made. We also had there house dressing (whistle stop) on our salads that was very good, I actually bought a bottle of it to take along. The drinks are served in a regular 8 oz glass but your glass is never empty. They are constantly filling it which is nice because it never gets watered down from the ice melting. The price is moderate but believe me you get plenty for the buck. You will not leave there hungry. We enjoyed it so much that we actually went back in the morning around 11:30 and had breakfast before heading for home. My husband had the Stuffed French toast, that was stuffed with strawberries and cream cheese, that was out of this world.

The restaurant is so interesting inside with all its train gadgets and pictures. It is very interesting and very, very clean for an old building. The employees are very friendly and attentive. We were very happy with everything there. We will definitely be going by that way again as we have family in State College.

If you go to State College take a little extra time and stop in at the Whistle Stop in Centre Hall for lunch or dinner, you won't be sorry. Just make sure you are hungry,

• Visited September 2013
croydon
“Go where the locals go”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

This place reminded me or go were the locals go. Place is very cute, servers where excellent very pleasant. The meatloaf and crab cake sandwich was out of this world. Great little gem not far from Penns Cave and University of PA. Wish this place was closer so I could go every week.

• Visited August 2013