The room and property were fine, however, we had two issues. First, I guess we should've known better, but the weekend clientele are a bunch of fun-seekers. As a result, there are teenagers walking and talking in the corridors at all hours of the night. The walls are thin and we could hear people in the adjoining room. Our room had a balcony, but so did the adjoining one, and we could readily hear the cell phone conversation of an adjoining guest through our sliding glass door while she made a middle-of-the-night call on her balcony. We have two young children (6 & 10) and this was not quite the family-friendly environment we were hoping for (although the ski slopes themselves are very family friendly). However, if you were a high-schooler on the prowl, you'd feel right at home. If you stay here on a weekend, caveat emptor.
One important reason we decided to stay at the hotel was because we wanted to get onto the slopes as soon as they opened at 8:00 AM to beat the crowds. However, the morning food service was not open until 7:30 AM. That makes it tough to finish eating, get all your ski gear on (which we luckily brought with us), and onto the slopes early. There's no way you'd get on the slopes by 8:00 AM if you had to rent equipment, since the rental area does not open until 8:00 AM. Also, the morning food selection was pretty paltry. Essentially, you get a food voucher which you can redeem for mostly continental breakfast food. Hot selections are minimal, pre-wrapped and disappointing.
By contrast, we have also stayed at the nearby Sleep Inn in Emmitsburg (15 mins away), as well as the Country Inn & Suites (25 minutes away) in Gettysburg. These are both nicer and newer properties, the rooms are bigger, they are much quieter, have indoor pools (which Liberty does not), start breakfast at 6:00 AM, and are cheaper. Their breakfasts are better (but not much better), but at least they start early, and in the case of the Sleep Inn, adjoins a McDonald's which opens early.
If you stay midweek, I'm sure the place will be very quiet, and there's probably no need to get onto the slopes by 8:00 AM because there won't be any crowds. If you don't mind a sub par breakfast, then this is a decent lodging option since you can't beat the convenience of staying at the resort.
Note that there are no ski-in/out rooms. You'll need to walk a few hundred yards and negotiate a few flights of stairs to get from your room to the slopes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Liberty Mountain Resort is a four season resort located 8 miles south of Gettysburg, PA. Visitors to the resort will enjoy the beautiful mountain setting and multiple activities and amenities. The resort features skiing, snowboarding and snow tubing in the winter months, and an 18 hole championship golf course and huge mountainside outdoor pool in the summer. Year round, the resort's multiple picturesque venues and onsite restaurants and catering, make it the perfect location for weddings, conferences and social and business gatherings. Currently under construction and scheduled to open in the fall of 2015, the Highland Lodge will expand the resorts offerings to include 2 new restaurants, 17 additional hotel rooms and suites, an indoor pool and more social and meeting space. Whether you enjoy skiing, snowboarding, golfing or just relaxing; you'll find Liberty Mountain Resort is a wonderful getaway! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Liberty Mountain Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Liberty Mountain Resort And Carroll Valley Golf
- Liberty Mountain Resort & Carroll Valley Golf Hotel Carroll Valley