“Great front desk staff, rude housekeeping” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carnegie
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great front desk staff, rude housekeeping”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Even though we arrived late at night, we were greeted by an ethusiastic desk clerk, who was happy to give us information about the free wifi, breakfast, and how to find the room. Checkout time was stated as 12 noon, but at 11am on the dot the next morning, we received a knock on the door from housekeeping wanting to know how much longer we would be staying. This was a little surprising, considering we had the "do not disturb" sign posted and it was a full hour before the stated checkout time. She came back a second time a few minutes before noon and said, "So are you going to stay another night?" When I said no with a confused look on my face, she rudely informed me that checkout time was noon. I said we would be leaving in a few minutes and she said she would come back. She proceeded to camp outside the room for the next five minutes with her music blaring. I don't have huge expectations for a hotel room (I am happy with a comfortable bed, clean room, and pleasant staff), but I find this type of behavior to be totally unacceptable. Kudos to the front desk staff, but I won't stay here again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Pittsburgh - Carnegie, responded to this review, yesterday
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The situation you described regarding the housekeeping attendant is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will use your feedback as a training tool to coach our housekeeping staff to make sure your experience is not repeated. I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at car@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2015

The price and location were good but this is an average hotel at best. No frills but fine for a few days. You have to ask for dishes, cups, etc. because they no longer stock this stuff in the kitchen. Front desk act like its a pain to answer questions or provide support. Lost reservations and took them a while to find it.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite if available. more roomy.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Pittsburgh - Carnegie, responded to this review, March 16, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. Please know that we are sincerely sorry that the reservation was lost and that our staff was not accommodating during your experience with us. We always strive to provide the best customer service possible so I will review your comments with the staff to make sure your experience is not repeated. Extended Stay America removed all dishes from our guest rooms during this past summer. All of the items are still available per request and there is no additional cost for the items. Upon request, a member of the front desk staff will bring the items to your room; I apologize that this was not communicated to you. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please contact me, at car@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2015

The good: the staff was excellent - very friendly, efficient, and helpful. For the price and the location, this was a decent deal. Right off the freeway so it was easy to hop on to get in to downtown. The temperature control was quite good.
The not so good: The hotel is just kind of old and tired. The were huge cracks around the ceiling in the bathroom. There was no plug in the tub to take a bath. The rooms and halls smell kind of musty. It was not easy to find - when using GPS make sure you enter Carnegie as the town, not Pittsburgh!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Pittsburgh - Carnegie, responded to this review, January 21, 2015
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am glad to read that our staff was friendly, efficient, and helpful, and that you enjoyed our affordable rates and location. Still, I am disappointed to hear that there was an unpleasant odor in the room and hallways, and there were cracks in the bathroom wall. In response to your feedback, I have met with my Maintenance Engineer to ensure that the cracks have been fixed. I have also met with the housekeeping staff regarding the odor issue so if there is an issue we can be proactive in eliminating any odors in the future. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please contact me, at car@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014 via mobile

Checked in received the best guest service ever. A woman named Marg was there and she was amazing. Making sure we had what we needed and was really good about checking in with us throughout our stay. Would come back to stay hands down! It was very close to the city but not too close where it traffic was a concern.

• Stayed October 2014
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

I stayed in this hotel from August 11th to September 17th, 2014. I was working with Carnegie Mellon University, and the company that booked the hotel wanted to find something cheaper than a Residence Inn. Given that I was renting a car, they figured the distance from Pittsburgh wouldn't be much of an issue; they were wrong.

This hotel is conveniently located off of I-376, which goes straight through Pittsburgh. Unfortunately, even though Carnegie is only about 10 minutes from CMU, with traffic on the interstate, it takes actually about 30 minutes. Thus, if you're looking for a cheaper option that isn't far from Pittsburgh--this isn't it.

Aside from traffic, the hotel itself is not what I was expecting by any stretch of the imagination. First of all, for an "Extended Stay" hotel, there is not much of a kitchen. There is no stove and no dishwasher, so get used to doing minimal cooking and hand washing all your dishes. Speaking of dishes, you have to specially request them from the front desk; they're not in the actual hotel! As for when they deliver the dishes, be prepared to have them set outside of your door in a large plastic container like a bunch of teenagers dropping of a burning bag of dog feces.

The kitchen isn't the only disappointing aspect, the bathroom was attrocious. As others have reported, there is black mold in the bathtub. The shower liner is also too short, so water frequently found itself on the floor when the shower was running. Also, since maid service is done only once a week (you have to specially request it), if you need new towels, you actually have to bring your old ones down to the front desk before they will provide you clean towels. This is not an exaggeration--I was denied new towels until I made an even trade. I get that they're trying to cut back on people stealing their towels, but this felt more like prison guards conducting inventory than a hotel.

If the black mold isn't enough for you, than be aware of the noisome odors. Even though I was nowhere near an exit, it always smelled like cigarette smoke. If it didn't smell like cigarette smoke, it smelled like rotten food. Even the bed sheets, which were stained, had a very strong odor of bleach.

I am giving this hotel a poor rating, and not terrible, simply due to the fact that it was a step up (believe it or not) from some other hotels, and that I generally felt safe. As for anyone who can afford the extra 20-30 bucks a night for a Residence Inn, steer FAR clear from this hotel; seriously, it sucks.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Brookville, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2014

Picked up this deal on Hotwire it was a blind selection and we were very happy with the selection. it was the first time we have stayed at an extended stay and felt we got our bang for our buck. Good place to stay.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Toledo, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2014

My mom and I stayed here for 2 nights over Labor Day weekend and it was fine/ok. I had called 2 wks ahead to request a rollaway bed which they had promised would be in the room when we arrived but it wasn't. When checking in, I was informed that they had "given them all away" and the manager was "out buying some air mattresses." I expressed my dissatisfaction politely (b/c they were polite) about the air mattress and they ended up giving me a discount off total price paid which I appreciated. The hotel itself was fine for a couple days. Rooms had everything we needed. Frig, micro, kitchenette ...etc. Everything was clean. Quiet. Slept well. Breakfast provided until 9a or 10a. Items put out by the check in incuded 3 canisters of coffee, vanilla & reg pump creamer, granola bars, bananas/apples, packets of instant oatmeal. Is it a full hot breakfast? No. But it was good enough! The hotel is in sOmEwHaT of a shady area, a mix of business & residential. I wouldn't say we were scared, but I wouldn't walk anywhere alone ... which we didn't have to worrry about b/c there's NOTHING to walk to! haha. Hotel felt secure. We took a cab downtown one night and it was $15 each way, 10 min ride or so.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with family

Been to Extended Stay America - Pittsburgh - Carnegie? Share your experiences!