“Very Nice Exterior and Service, Just Average Rooms, Overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
30% More Wyndham Rewards
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Carlisle
Pittsburgh, PA
“Very Nice Exterior and Service, Just Average Rooms, Overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This "Hotel" is really just a "Motel" with a Hotel price. We paid over $90 to stay here due mostly to the positive reviews, some of them raving about how wonderful it is. The other reason was location, and this is a perfect location when traveling from Pittsburgh to New York via the Turnpike/Route 78. This establishment is proof that outward appearances are very persuasive. The landscaping and exterior are stunning. There are beautiful flowers, plenty of trees and shady parking areas and lots of expensive looking landscaping. When you check in, you look to the left and see a beautiful cafeteria area with vast windows and a high ceiling. The front desk people are very friendly and accommodating. Although I called in before the stay and requested an upper floor room away from the highway and they said they didn't have that available, somehow when I checked in they had that exact room on the 3rd floor. The place is really huge and has what seems like hundreds of rooms. The lobby and hallways areas are clean and nicely decorated. When we reached the room, however, were not overly impressed. The air conditioning was off and it was very stifling hot and stuffy and did not have a pleasant, fresh odor. The decor was not old or outdated but on closer inspection, everything was cut-rate. The desk chair felt like a child's toy chair (although it was no uncomfortable). The mattresses were the cheapest I have ever seen in any motel, including the Motel 6's I stayed in back in the 90's. You could feel the springs. The pillows were lumpy and lousy, you could feel the cotton balls. The bathroom was very small and did not even have a curved shower rod. The TV was a circa mid-90's model and was mounted right on the credenza, sacrificing lots of valuable space, which was already at a premium mostly since the circa mid-80's cube refrigerator was also haphazardly thrown right on top of the same credenza. It looked like an afterthought. Both my wife and I did not sleep well and woke up with backaches. The cafeteria is just as nice in the morning and we enjoyed eating our breakfast there. The morning checkout staff were not as nice and made me wait while they finished their conversation before greeting me. Overall, this is an average motel which needs some serious work, perhaps new management to spruce it up, parading around as a hotel. I suggest they spend less on the outside and take care of what matters more. I don't plan to stay there again.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms are quiet - ask for one away from the highway
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
DAYMAKERS, Manager at Days Inn Carlisle South, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thank you for you review. We are remodeling which is a constant process and pride ourselves on clean rooms and courtous staff. Reviews such as yours makes us glad that you cared enough to write. Feedback is always helpful.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

Bed had hair in it. Room was not well ventilated. I hate the thought of bed bugs so the first thing I did was check the beds. I didn't see anything at first glance. My two boys and my husband and I laid down to watch TV and after about 20 minutes my husband saw a bug crawling on my bed. We told the front desk. They told the maintenance guy. He came and looked at the beds and seemed very unconcerned or considerate. He did not even want to check the other bed. The manager was not helpful or concerned that we may have had bed bugs. We left. I would not recommend this place to anyone, EVER!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
, Manager at Days Inn Carlisle South, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
We are very sorry for the stress you experienced with us. A refund was graciously given since other rooms were filled. That evening I was assured that the issue in question was not what you feared. My inspection team, after you left, combed the room and did not find any evidence with regard to your concerns. These situations are a worry for all of us in the hotel industry and for the travelers. My inspection team routinely inspects every room. They are schooled to react quickly and diligently when a suspicion arises. We pride ourselves in offering the best care we can provide and apologize if you received less.
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this Days Inn. I have had bad luck with other Days Inn but I have no complaints with this one. The price was right and the desk staff were cheerful and friendly. The rooms weren't fancy but were clean and did the job. The hotel has a unique layout which is refreshing after staying in cookie-cutter Hampton Inns and Holiday Inn Expresses. The location of the hotel makes it easy to get to and close to restaurants. I definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Days Inn Carlisle South, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Thank you for your review. Hospitality is our main concern. We strive for clean and comforable rooms and happy guests. We appreciate your recommendation.
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed here after touring Carlisle on a hot, muggy day. Our room was very comfortable, lots of pillows and lots of amenities like a large tv, microwave, and fridge. The clerks were very welcoming and friendly upon our arrival and answered our questions during our stay.

The breakfast bar was very crowded but it was not hard to get some good hot food. There was plenty of seating available. Just off the interstate but our room was quiet (we were on the opposite end). The only quibble I have is that you were able to come in and out of the side door without using your hotel key -- usually at other places, you had to swipe your card to get into the side doors. That surprised us.

There's also a restaurant upstairs and a bar but we didn't go up there so I can't speak for it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Days Inn Carlisle South, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I will look into your concern about the outside door. Thank for the very nice review!
SE Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Stayed here from 14-17 June for a reunion with a group of fellow Viet-Nam veterans. Very clean, comfortable hotel; staff was very polite and helpful. Complimentary breakfast was good, and the little pub was very nice. Lots of parking, accessible and easy to find. A worthwhile stay; rates were also very good, and some local residents give hotel guests a discount.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

This hotel has some minor issues but new manager Jennifer? is on top of them. This hotel is THE place to stay in Carlisle. It has access to everything you could possibly desire including a recreational facility complete with go carts.
There is a bar that serves burgers and such.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Hamilton Square, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

I will start by saying that thanks to Priceline, I usually don't stay at this class of hotel any more, so I may be a bit nitpicky. We were traveling cross country with our cat, so we resorted to this Days Inn because it allows pets. It does seem to be a cut above other Days Inns, with its bar and lounge, meeting rooms, and huge breakfast area, though the pool out back seemed a bit small. We were given a very basic room with a noticeably damp, worn carpet (I had a Priceline discounted rate, but had not bid on a room, so I had not paid bare minimum and in fact paid more than I would usually pay for a three star or higher hotel on Priceline). The desk and chair were similar to what one would buy for a younger child at a Wal-Mart or similar store, and the bed and bedding were extremely clean, but very, very basic, with the one extra of a refrigerator. Breakfast in the morning was great, as the hotel employs an attendant to watch for the coffee and rolls to run out and to help guests who are having trouble with the waffle maker and microwave (I wish every hotel would do this!).
I guess the worst thing about the hotel was the desk clerk's suspicious vibe and attitude toward me. After spending a great deal of time checking in the guy in front of me and chatting him up, she pulled up my record and asked me to confirm the credit card number on my reservation (which she hadn't done with the guy). I pointed out that the number she mentioned wasn't my number and was probably one given by Priceline, at which point she noticed that the company name on the reservation was something else (I think it was an alternate name for Priceline or one of its subsidiaries) and started asking me to provide my own credit card number, home address, phone number, show my id, etc. etc. Again, she had done none of this with the guy in front of me. I am a pretty respectable looking woman in my mid-forties (at least I think I am respectable looking!) and my respectable looking partner was plainly visible in the car, along with our respectable looking luggage--not sure what aspect of my demeanor or attire made the clerk think I was on the lam from the law.

Room Tip: I think it might be worth the cost of the upgrade to a business room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Days Inn Carlisle South? Share your experiences!