“Hidden Gem” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
“Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

My husband and I decided to take an adventure and go find some place that was not a chain and not anywhere we had tried before. We were going to be making a trip to Carlisle to do some shopping and looked on Trip Advisor to see what others were recommending. After some consideration we chose Piatto.

What a cute and quaint little place we stumbled on. It was very romantic with great ambiance. Loved the design of the bar section. We both tried the Lobster Ravioli and it was delicious. Service was excellent. In fact our waiter took some extra time to explain to me several of the deserts that I had no idea what they may taste like so I could find the right option for me.

If I had to give a few critiques that brought my rating down to 4 star it would be that the menu is rather limited. If you like cream or Alfredo sauce you are pretty much outta luck and I did feel a bit limited in my choices. I also felt our portions were somewhat small for the price we paid. We usually don't mind spending extra on a nicer place with quality food. But since the portion was so small and no salad or sides came with the entree, it did feel a bit expensive for what we received. However we have not tried everything on the menu and some dishes may be larger than others. I suppose we will have to return to find out and we shall!

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“Pretensious and expensive for what it is.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Not real Italian cuisine like it pretends to serve, bad quality food and way to expensive for what it is. My husband and I had the Salumi to start with, nothing wrong with the cold cuts, but the "today's loca greens" were obviously not from today since the salad had gone bad and contained slimy pieces. After we had the ravioli d'Argosta (lobster ravioli) and the Vitello alla Parmigianna, the food was luke warm at best. The ravioli was tough (fresh pasta should melt in your mouht), the breaded veal had obviously been deep fried. Not quality food. The only thing good I can say about the place is that the wine was tasty and that I had good company. We will not be returning.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Ross M, Owner at Piatto, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Thanks very much for telling us of your experience at Piatto. I'm sorry we did not live up to your expectations. I would like to make a few clarifications concerning your comments. First, we are serving traditional, authentic Italian cuisine - you would actually find each and every one of our dishes on menus throughout Italy. The slime you spoke of on the greens was most likely the extra virgin olive oil that we use to lightly dress the salad. The toughness you describe concerning the Lobster Ravioli is actually the al dente nature that "real" Italian pasta is famous for. Soft "melt in your mouth" pasta is actually overcooked and what you will find at most restaurants in America. Yes, the Veal Parmesan is breaded and fried - I can't think of too many examples where an item is breaded but not fried. Our food is made to order and presented on hot plates, I'm not sure how long you waited to eat in order for the food to become lukewarm. We are one of the top 10% of all restaurants in the world reviewed on Trip Advisor - I'm sure you found all of the other reviews to be helpful in your decision to dine with us. Thanks again and I sincerely hope that all of your future dining experiences are more positive than this one.
Lincolnville, Maine
“We had a very nice experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

After a warm welcome at the door, we were shown to our table and presented with menus. After some very nice cocktails, our waiter explained the evening's special and answered questions very intelligently. All our food (we were a party of 5) was presented quickly and attractively and was very well done. In all, a very good experience. The only problem: this restaurant is in an old house and the dining room in which we were seated became almost uncomfortably full as the evening wore on. I don't think this was the fault of the restaurant-- I think the folks at the next table had just invited friends to stop by if they were in the neighborhood, and a whole bunch did.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Centreville, Virginia
“Very tasty cuisine; lovely atmosphere; kind staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

This is a place for adults and couples and friends that want to go for a fine time of fellowship and to linger. The food is quite tasty - very tasty and fresh and presented well. The staff is kind and attentive, a little bit overwhelmed perhaps the night my friends and I visited, but nonetheless trying their very level best and conversational and seemingly kind and not something to deter you from going to try the food in these pretty little spot. Enjoy!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Little Italian trattoria/restaurante”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Just around the corner from The Carlisle House where we stay, this little place provided a very good dinner at good value. My cannelloni was excellent. A cute little place; service was very good.

Visited December 2013