“O.K.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Carlisle
Salt Lake City
“O.K.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

This place was o.k. It was my hasband's idea to stay here and we just needed a place to sleep. The check-in clerk was nice. The room needed to be painted and new carpet would be nice also. Our phone rang at about 11:00 at night and no one was on the other end. That was a little weird. The shower was like a shower you would find at a camping place, very small. The bed was not too comfortable. The sink had a leak and we had to put the ice bucket under the sink to catch the water. The room had an unpleasant smell.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

We stayed here as a good midway point on a drive to New York. Its location is great -- right off of the Pennsylvania Turnpike where it meets I-81. The thing that attracted me was that it was pet friendly. That and the rate ($45/night) is the only reason I booked this. We arrived around 11pm in the middle of a torrential downpour. Check-in was easy and, after driving around to the room (old motor inn style), we got in without much trouble. This is your basic no-frills motel - flat pillows, thin sheets, etc. I wish the room had been cleaner (empty beer cans under the beds, stray hairs in the blankets, tub could've been bleached), but we survived. If you don't want to scratch the surface, then this place is adequate. Otherwise, find another motel nearby. There are plenty to choose from.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

Stayed here on my route down south because I had read about the motel on Tripadvisor. It is a fine and basic motel, the room was clean and service at desk very friendly. There is a small pool but didn't try it because it was raining. Food just a mile down the road.

• Liked — Nice and friendly service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Zanesville, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2008

My husband and I stopped here on our way to New York. It is just a cheap basic motel. It is basically designed for one night stays. The room was not totally spotless, but this is Motel 6 and it is cheap. We had enough towels and our neighbors were quiet. We slept, showered, and moved on. We would stay here again, but only for the night.

• Liked — Good price and right off the turnpike
  • Disliked — Could have been a bit nicer
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2008

From a budget business traveler in PA

I needed to travel to the Harrisburg area for a weekend seminar. After reading so many mediocre reviews of moderately priced hotels, I considered Motel 6. I was traveling in the dead of winter, and all I needed was a comfortable bed and a hot shower in the morning. I would spent most of both days at the seminar.

I booked my non-smoking room online. When I arrived, I found a warm, clean room with two queen-sized beds. The room did not smell of smoke at all. Even though I read that Motel 6 is pet friendly, I did not detect any pet smells or see any dog or cat hair in the room.

The bathroom was small but clean. The towels were thin, but I had an adequate supply. The cable TV provided some basics -- sports, weather, news, and a few movies. The mattress gave me a good night's sleep. The next morning I enjoyed a hot shower with good water pressure.

The only negative was that the card key for the room sometimes needed multiple swipes to unlock the door. With a deadbolt and a safety latch, I felt safe. Motel 6 is located close to the turnpike exit but far enough away that I didn't hear any traffic.

The front desk clerk directed me to a nearby gas station where I could fill up at $2.95 per gallon when gas was selling for $3.19 at home. Check-out was quick and easy.

If you're looking for the basics at a great price, consider Motel 6. This was my first experience with this chain, and I would consider them again for a future trip.

• Liked — Clean, warm room with hot shower
  • Disliked — Card key needed multiple swipes
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2007

We stayed here on the way through for Thanksgiving travel to see family. I can be very fussy about hotels. This was OK. We were traveling with my dog, and so needed an inexpensive hotel that allows dogs. I decided not to look too closely, but out of the corners of my eye I saw some matted pet hair in the corners of the carpet, and there was a slight urine smell to the bathroom. Neighborhood is right off the PA Turnpike; there is not enough of a "neighborhood" for it to be a problem. The atmosphere is "road traffic" - earplugs are a good idea. It is VERY spartan. It was OK for one night, but I didn't want to spend long enough in the bathroom to take a shower - although my boyfriend did. So, it was OK, but just OK, and set your expectations appropriately. On the other hand, it was $35 for both of us, and the dog was no problem. If you want a pet-friendly, very-basic, and maybe slightly marginal stopover, this is OK. And save your money to spend some place that you want to enjoy it.

• Liked — Dog-friendlly, price, bed was OK
  • Disliked — Atmosphere, marginally clean but not really clean
  • Stayed November 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

It's cheap, and you get what you pay for. I wasn't expecting the Ritz, but the front desk clerk was almost exceptionally rude, and the room was adequate but smelled a bit funny. It was dusty and there was used soap from a previous guest still in the bathroom. I do like that they have no problem with and do not charge for dogs to stay, but I think next time I'd skip it.

• Liked — Not much
  • Disliked — the lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Motel 6 Harrisburg - Carlisle? Share your experiences!