“Calling this place a "Dump" would be too complimentary” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Carlisle

You added Red Roof Inn Carlisle to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Carlisle
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1450 Harrisburg Pike, I-81 Exit 52, Carlisle, PA 17015 (Formerly Motel 6 )   |
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Carlisle
Charleroi, Pennsylvania, United States
“Calling this place a "Dump" would be too complimentary”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Hard to decide where to begin.....The nightmare started with what should have been a routine check in at any hotel It took the desk clerk 23 minutes to check me in, He kept complaining about the computer, not sure if it really was the computer or just him. The property is very old and wasnt originally built as a Red Roof. The hallways had no ventilation, were very hot. The carpet in the hallways was stained and worn. The room was even worse. The carpet was stained, The wallpaper was peeling at all the seams. The mattress was terrible. The water pressure in the bathrrom sink was just a weak trickle. The shower did not work. If I owned the Red Roof name I would never let it be display on this building. The best thing for this place is the wrecking ball.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Found a blood stain on the pillow.the toilet wouldn't flush.the curtains were broken so they wouldn't close all the way.our dog found a huge dead beetle. There was a spot of mold on the wall. When we booked it said if we wanted to get a king bed it comes with a flat screen tv (nope) and a fridge(smelled horrible)and also a microwave (at least ten years old). Horrible horrible horrible!!!

• Stayed July 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I booked three rooms at the Carlisle Red Roof Inn 10 months in advance of my son's college graduation through the Red Roof Inn website. In the interim, that particular Inn was sold to someone else. No one contacted us to tell us that our reservation was no longer valid. I found this out four days before graduation because I called to confirm our reservations. Otherwise, we would have shown up for the graduation with no place to stay. That would have created a huge amount of stress on what should be a very special occasion. When I contacted Red Roof Inn about the situation, they told me it was the new owner's responsibility to contact me. Red Roof Inn had my email and home address but made no attempt to contact me. I will think long and hard before I make reservations at the Red Roof Inn again. You should confirm reservations with Red Roof Inn by calling your specific location, don't count on them to contact you if the situation changes.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Summerside, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Don't even stop here, this in no longer part of the Red Roof chain. We had booked 2 weeks before they switched over and were not notified by the hotel or Red Roof. When we arrived there was no heat in the lobby, the restaurant was closed, they only would take cash. Terrible, Terrible, Terrible

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Almont, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

The whole stay here was beyond bad. They lost our reservation yet the desk clerk gave us a hard time as if it were our fault. It is need of many upgrades not only to the façade and landscaping but to the entire building itself. The whole place smelled damp and musty. They advertised a continental breakfast and the clerk told us there was one but when we went down in the morning, there was nothing set up. Our room was filthy dirty. You know it's bad when we used our own disinfecting wipes to try and clean the bathroom.

Had it not been for an emergency trip from out of state due to a loved ones illness we would not have stayed here but we were traveling with dogs and they are one of the few hotel chains that do not charge a fortune to stay with pets.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Berkeley Springs, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Just stay somewhere else ... don't waste your time and energy! There are other Red Roof Inns along your route in the area not too far away.

I love Red Roof Inns, am a RediCARD member and am simply SHOCKED they allow this to be in the brand at this point. The property needs major physical improvement (easily fixed with some investment) but unfortunately, the problems go much deeper ... obviously the owners and their management style trickle down everywhere. Plus, it seemed almost completely empty ... only two cars in the entire parking lot. After me "adventure", I know why.

BIGGEST COMPLAINT - the place is SIMPLY, down right dirty!!!
The hallway carpets are disgusting and look like they are so bad that even a deep steam clean will no longer work at all. I'm not just talking about near the exits either ... the whole length of the hallways were filthy ... I even went into other hallways and they were all the same.

Also, many room doors didn't have a room number sign but had a printed sheet of paper with a room number on it taped to the door. Really?!?!?!

The first room I was put in was damp and musty. This room was an "even" numbered room in the middle of the hallway on the first floor. I had requested a room near an exit but didn't get it. I sat in the room for a few minutes contemplating whether or not my allergies would be OK and decided I wasn't going to chance it so I went back to the front desk and let them know. The manager said he would put me on the other side of the hallway as that side was usually less musty. Hmmmmmmm ... why put me as one of the FEW guests into a known musty area of the hotel?!?!?!

I agreed to try a second room(odd-numbered room on same floor) and when in it, found it to in fact be less musty. However, in this room the chair at the desk wouldn't raise enough to use and work on a laptop. This room had a refrigerator but did not have a microwave as the first room did(I actually typically use it). There was no Do Not Disturb sign to put out on the doorknob(again, I actually use them). Also, the blinds/curtains were in disrepair(missing pull "bars"? and not properly installed). The bathroom had hairs in the sink and the tub - I hopefully assume from a cleaning person, but still!

While checking everything out, the phone rang. I answered the phone and could hear the person on the other end but they couldn't hear me. I kept wiggling the phone cords until there was a click and then they could. It was the manager at the front desk calling to see if everything was OK with this room. I advised the room wasn't as musty but that the chair wouldn't go up to be a usable height and the curtains wouldn't close all the way. I asked if the chair could possibly be swapped with another. He said he would right down to take care of it. About 10 minutes later, he and the trainee from check-in came to inspect the chair. I showed that it would go down, but wouldn't go up to a usable height. He said that's as high as it would go and left.

I stood in the room for a minute or so trying to be OK with staying but just couldn't do it. I picked up the phone, made sure the cord was held in so they could hear me and called the front desk to let them know I wasn't going to stay and ask if there was anything else I needed to do other than leave. The trainee answered the phone and said I should come to the front desk because "he(meaning the manager) would want to speak to me".

I loaded the car and drove back to the front and went in. I explained to the manager I wasn't going to stay ... that I had to be able to do work and the desk & chair were not workable PLUS I extremely disappointed with the overall condition of the property.

The only happy part of this experience was driving away ... to another Red Roof in the area where I had a great stay.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere!!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Emigsville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

My husband and I don't travel a lot but have come to enjoy Red Roof. THIS RED ROOF WAS HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!
We knew going in that it was not a newly renovated Inn. BUT THIS WAS BAD!!!!!!
Check in was fine, young blond haired man very pleasant. No check in bottled water though.
Next, room smelled dirty and musty.
No "do not disturb" sign for door so housekeeping knocked and walked in all in one swoop and caught us "in bed". This is around 7:30 AM. (First night of a 2 night stay)
Now the second morning--------we were told they have a Continental Breakfast from 6-9AM. We went down at 7 and were told by 2 other very disappointed guests that there was no coffee, employee said he would bring more,that had been 30 minutes ago. There was a bowl of very ugly bananas with equally bruised apples, no muffins or danish or anything else to be able to claim "they serve continental breakfast".
Now back up to the room-----we were "yelled to" by an older Indian gentleman, who looked like he may have been the owner. He wanted to know if we were checking out. Told him not quite yet (7:45AM). Maybe an hour later I went to my car and he asked AGAIN! On my way back in his wife "yelled" to me asking if I was leaving yet. Both people had vacuum cleaners and I understand that the work needs to get done, but we felt very unwelcome.
WE WILL NEVER GO TO OR RECOMMEND THIS INN TO ANYONE!!
Not Corporation's fault-----we fault the Indian couple who own the franchise.
Sorry for my review being so negative but this needed to be said for others to know.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Red Roof Inn Carlisle? Share your experiences!