“A Kentucky "Pub"” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Captiva Island, Florida
“A Kentucky "Pub"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stopped a Barleycorn"s to meet with old friends while passing thru Cincinnati Seated on outside patio, Sunday live entertain was nice touch. We all ordered various salads, ice tea for the drivers and cold beer for the passengers. This is a pleasant neighborhood pub atmosphere. Food is not fancy--salads, burgers, ribs, etc...., but no complaints concerning food or service. Not a place for an anniversary meal, but great for a casual get together.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

kentucky
“Very surly and unhappy server.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I have been to many restaurants and I can say without doubt this is the worst experience
I have ever encountered.

Stopped in around 8 in the evening with friends to have a beer and a bite to eat.
We were seated in the patio at a table that abutted a concrete wall making it difficult to
get in and out.

Shortly thereafter our server appeared and asked were ready to order drinks. She proceeded to rattle off the many varieties of beer. I placed an order and she proceeded to take other folks orders. Before she left the table I said I would like a different beer. To which she stated "I have already sent your order in" (some kind of magic I suppose)

When we were ready to leave the bill was presented with two separate checks for each couple.
My bill was for $28.76 which included an 18% tip. Some what unusual for this type of service.
Anyway, I didn't comment but gave her $29.00 and she returned my 24 cents change in the form of 24 PENNIES. Not my idea of a joke.

Stay away from server who is identified as JP 138.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Newport
“Good food-several locations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Great food-many different burgers to choose from and all have been delicious! Good atmosphere in all but each is an entity to itself! Recently they are having daily specials-very good! Each time we have gone there it is a totally new experience. We are always trying new and different things.

Visited October 2012
Cincinnati, OH
“Voted Best burger in NKY Magazine, supplement of cincy Mag.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I cannot imagine what the readers of this magazine were thinking nor what they are used to eating when they voted this burger the "best."
I ate the Blackened, Bacon and Blue Burger. I ordered it rare since the server said the kitchen often leans to the cooked more side of the fence.
Usually, a burger ordered rare is still very red inside...this was a juicy gray. The only time I have ever seen a burger cooked rare and come out this color was when the meat was previously frozen. And, oh..., the blue...is a cheese dressing/sauce, not real bleu cheese...and it doesn't even taste like bleu cheese.
My friend ordered his burger medium, thinking it would still have a pink center...his had the same gray color as mine.
I almost forgot...I tried the stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer...described as having artichoke, and cheese in the stuffing, but the words in the description on the menu identified this as a "healthy option" so I figured the butter and cheese would be minimal.
NOT! The 5 caps came out drowning in butter and melted cheese...this dish is a heart attack in a bowl. The server was even embarrassed when I pointed out the discrepancy...she says she's a fitness minded person and knows the dish isn't healthy...but she says people like it.
I say...but you advertise it as a healthy option! That's a lie!
I won't go back...and I certainly won't listen to what the readers of this magazine have to say. I don't trust their judgement.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Prestonsburg, Kentucky
“Great place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

My wife and I eat here whenever we are in the area. Great service, friendly staff and good food and drink.

Visited July 2012

Been to Barleycorn's? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Barleycorn's, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.