“Happy Birthday to Me!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania
“Happy Birthday to Me!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

My wife made reservations at Bados Cucina for my birthday on Friday for a party of five. We were seated immediately and our waiter began to explain the menu. The chef uses a hearth oven to cook all of the food using three types of wood: oak, cherry and pear. Everything that we were served was absolutely wonderful. The chef uses high quality ingredients to give you a delicious culinary experience. The pizza's were thin and crispy, the ceasar salad was awesome, the lamb, steak and pork were smoky and done to perfection. Also, saved room for desert...you must try the bread pudding of the day!!! We will certainly be back!!

• Visited September 2011

Washington DC
“Tasty Italian oven-baked tapas; go with a friend.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

Bado's serves tapas-style Italian dishes, all of which are baked in a wood-fired oven featured prominently at the back of the dining room. The food is quite tasty, and the servings are sized well for two to share as part of, say, a four-course series of tapas.

It is located in McMurray, just north of the intersection of US-19 and McMurray Rd, in a stand-alone building. There is adequate parking outside. It is currently BYOB, so come with a nice bottle of wine to treat yourself.

The dining room is softly lit, with earth tones of orange and yellow. The cooking staff is visible from all tables. They prepare the food in small metal dishes, which they then cover with metal conical covers, which look like little Morrocan tagines. The prepared dishes are slid into the wood-fired oven on a metal peel for baking. It was fun to watch. Service was extremely friendly without being intrusive.

The menu is divided into antipasti (appetizers) and three piati (courses): pasta, meat, and vegetables/salads. There are also options for pizza/flatbreads and desserts. Each plate ranges from $8 to $12.

For antipasti I had the Rustico, a traditional combination of cured meats, cheeses, and olives with olive oil and bread. It was good, but I'd recommend trying one of the other offerings, which looked a bit more adventurous. For pasta I had the golden squash tortellini in sage butter. The squash filling was sweet and flavorful, and the pasta itself was nicely firm (al dente). For the meat serving I had the veal scallopini with mushrooms and peppers. Simply prepared and attractively presented, it was very satisfying. By this point I was rather full, so I skipped the vegetable course and went right to dessert. They had lemon tiramisu the night I went, which was much lighter than the traditional type. It finished off the meal well without being too heavy.

The only note of caution I would pass: the serving sizes are great for two people sharing a series of tapas, but not great for solo diners like me. They are too small to be stand-alone entrees, but too big to allow a leisurely trip through all four courses of tapas. So, next time I go, I plan to bring a friend and share.

All in all, it was a delicious meal in a pleasant atmosphere with good service. Bravi!

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Outstanding! at "Peters Taste of the Township"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

We were mesmerized at Bado's Cucina's antipasto table at this event. Sam's presentation blew them all out of the water. His food second only to his personality. We were warmed and welcomed to his table by the authentic Italian presentation and stayed close listening to his cooking experiences from his recent trip to Italy. We have since visited his restaurant for a romantic dinner celebrating our 30th anniversary. His spring menu was reminiscent of our own trip to Italy last fall. We ordered the Rustico antipasto plate, Fiochetti pasta, rosemary lamb chop, stuffed artichoke & Tuscan Romano on cinnamon toast glazed w/ honey. All of our choices were delicious but we were very thrilled with our dessert choice. Once again it was ridiculously unique, well presented & over the top delicious. our experience with Sam & staff in two different setting were pleasant & inviting. We will definitely be returning soon w/ friends & family. We highly recommend this dining experience!

• Visited April 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pittsburgh, PA
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

My husband and I have been to Bado's Cucina many, many times. The environment is so warm and inviting with a fabulous wood burning oven. Chef Sam and his entire staff are terrific and very accommodating. The food is amazing, from the soups, salads and pizzas to the lobster (on special occasions), crab, shrimp, chicken and steak dishes! The ingredients Sam uses to create his magic are the absolute freshest available daily. We go to dinner there about once a week and have taken friends and business associates with us who are equally impressed with the cuisine! This place is an unconditional gem!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
pittsburgh
“Not a place for a regular meal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

I read an article and decided to go visit this place expecting a menu that had entrees as well as TAPAs. Boy were we disappointed. You pay 14 dollars for 3 shrimp and nothing else with it. all was 14 to 18 dollars for an unfinshed meal or appetizer.
A cup of soup was 8 dollars and a piece of TIRAMISU was 7 dollars.

Our appetizer meal in total came to $119.00 with no drinks, tax or gratuity.

We shall never recommend this place.

Also - We all got food poising 3 days later and attribute it to something we ate there.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere