“Best burgers and shakes” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 33 Restaurants in Broomall
Cuisines: American
Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
“Best burgers and shakes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

My family has been hooked on Freddy's. Their food is fab. They are very community oriented. The atmosphere is very retro.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Philadelphia
“Fries are the Best!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

So - we love this place. I'm not a huge fan of their burgers which are really thin and if you get the double burger (which I believe is standard) - it's a ton of calories. In fact - I think the single is too. But who cares...I go for the fries. The shoe string fries and the secret sauce are great and my kids love having a custard treat. The service is friendly and it's always clean. My kids usually get the hot dog meal and I ask for them not to butter the bun - which they do with a smile.

Freddy's has really become part of the Marple landscape and they participate in events, give special discounts and help to the locals. I really appreciate their service to the community,

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Okay burgers but the custard and fries are to die for!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I read in the papers about Freddy's opening up in the area a few years ago. It's not really close by and it's out of the way for me, but I've always kept my eye on them and I've been wanting to try them because of the all the positive reviews they got.

Today, I finally decided to go out of my way and stop by. After all that hype, I was disappointed to say the least. If you want a really good and juicy burger, Five Guys, Buddy's Burgers, Jake's Wayback, Red Robin all have better burgers.

When I picked up my burger, I noticed that the edge of the patties were crispy. I thought that was odd until I bit into the burger. That's when I noticed that the patties were on the thin side and that's why the edges were crispy. I ordered mine with bacon and the bacon also came out crispy as well, but it was paper thin. Because they were paper thin, I could hardly taste the bacon flavor over the pickles and condiments/sauce. So I was disappointed in that as well. The bacon wasn't worth the extra money.

The fries were shoestring fries and crispy as well. Just the way I like them. There was a generous portion piled in my basket. After I finished the burger, I just sat there and enjoyed the fries piece by piece.

I also ordered a mini Hawaiian Delight "concrete" custard to go with my meal. It wasn't overly sweet and quite good. In fact, as I sat there eating it, I contemplated ordering another one since the mini was not enough. It looks to be an 8 oz. portion. In the end, I decided against it and just savored every bite. But the next time I drop by, I will definitely be ordering a large one.

On my next trip, I'll try their hotdogs and/or chicken sandwich instead of the burger.

The place is nice and clean and so were the bathrooms. There is a covered, outdoor seating area as well. You can tell that the owner/workers takes good care of the place. I was there for an early dinner and I can see the owner, or at least I think he's the owner, walking around and chatting with people. He was also busy cleaning the tables after diners left and putting things like high chairs and booster seats back in place.

Overall, I would highly recommend their Frozen Custard specialties. If you like shoestring fries, this is the place to go. As for their burgers, there are better choices out there. If it weren't for their frozen custard and fries, I would have rated them lower.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
“Family Fun”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We, as a family, go to this place after some sort of event. The last time we went was after a swim meet and this visit was after an art show.
I had a Chicgo dog as did one of my kids, another had a regular dog and the rest of the crew had burgers. Its all good standard fare and what you would expect to find in such a place. the fries are thin and crispy and for some reason I can't get enough. I hoover up all of the leftovers on other plates (baskets).
I think what the kids love about this place are the deserts. they all seem to contain ice cream, whipped cream, some sort of chocolate and gummy worms - how can you go wrong.
There are always other families in there so you don't have to keep the kids too quiet.
Great place for after meet get togethers.

Visited April 2014
Broomall, Pennsylvania
“Great place to eat and very clean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Freddy's is and excellent place to have a quick, hot, delicious, and fun meal anytime. Took my girlfriend for a spur of the moment birthday lunch and she just loved it and even had the Turtle Sundae! Also took the grand-kids here while visiting at Thanksgiving and they loved it so much, they asked if we could take them again while visiting over Xmas. They expecially love the fries and fun ice cream concoctions.
We love the burgers, hotdogs and milkshakes and look forward to trying the chicken and other items on the menu soon.
And one more thing to mention is the friendliness and cleanliness of this establishment which is greatly appreciated!

Visited December 2013