“Enjoyable break from the usual roadside places” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 24 Restaurants in Brookville
Cuisines: Italian, American, Greek
Merchantville, New Jersey
“Enjoyable break from the usual roadside places”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We got off I-80 because of the "Historic Brookville" signs. At the exit are a plethora of the usual places at Interstate exits but about two miles away is the very nice downtown of Brookville including its distinctive courthouse and this restaurant directly across the street from it. The dining room is in a storefront first floor; the pub (which we did not visit) is in the basement. The dining room was reminiscent of something from the 1920s to the 1940s - well preserved tin ceiling, oil cloth table covers and painted dining room chairs of that era.

The menu has the usual hamburgers, french fries, Italian, Mexican kind of stuff you would expect but also quite a few Mediterranean (Greek-Turkish) items. I had "feta a funo" appetizer. This is a lunch size portion of feta cheese and vegetables, principally tomatoes and peppers, in a light oil and vinegar sauce accompanied by fresh pita bread triangles. It was distinctive and delicious. My wife had a very light chicken salad sandwiches.accentuated with peach flavors. Central PA is renowned for corn soup and this place did not disappoint with its crab chicken version. It was very enjoyable. We will go back again when we travel that way.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Bloomington, Indiana
“Neat place and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

If you go here check out the bar in the basement. Nothing real fancy but a nice old building with great building throughout the town. Worth driving by just to see all the buildings and Courthouse. We had some excellent eats which made it a great choice.

Visited November 2012
Litchfield, Connecticut
“Awful, start to finish”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We started with cocktails downstairs and should have taken a hint when the bartender didn't know anything about the beers in the bar. Tonic in the gin & tonic was flat and when asked for a replacement, we were given the same tonic from the same bottle. Asked for another replacement and was told that was all they had. Dinner was a nightmare, I ordered a chefs salad, ham on the side. Ham came on the side, but with no turkey or egg as described on the menu. Husband ordered the Greek salad that was missing the anchovies (yes we love anchovies). When we asked for the anchovies, we were told they were out. How come no one told us this when we ordered. Finally, the cook came roaring out with a very nasty attitude and called me a liar. She accused me of eating the egg and fibbing about it to get a free meal! Whoa, she totally stepped over the line. The poor server, who was very good, was almost as upset as I was. DO NOT EAT HERE UNLESS YOU LIKE ABUSE AND AWFUL FOOD!

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Manlius,
“Great food, warm and friendly atmosphere. Love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I have visited Courthouse Grill several times when visiting a family member who lives in Brookville. Every time I visit, we enjoy either breakfast or lunch at this restaurant. I have always ordered one of the Greek menu items and appreciate the homemade preparation. The rice pudding is divine! Warm, with raisins, whipped cream and cinnamon was my choice for the pudding and it was the best I have ever had (other than my Greek mother's recipe!). The friendly wait staff, and, sometimes, even the owner, greet patrons and provide a warm dining experience. They added outside tables to enjoy the lovely weather while you dine. I recommend it!! In my opinion, the quality of the food is the best in Brookville.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Harrisburg, PA
“Amazing food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Great location and wonderful homemade food. Love the original Greek menu. The musaka was delicious! Also had excellent prime rib.

Visited June 2012