“Gorgeous Trail Rides” 5 of 5 stars

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
21 attraction reviews
“Gorgeous Trail Rides”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

This was my first time riding in 30 years and was a bit nervous.
I arrived at 9am and completed the paperwork and assigned a guide, Mike, for my first time out on the trails.
I was helped up and off we rode into the lovely pastures down to the woods.
Then forrest trails were fabulous and Mike was a great guide and conversationalist.
He pointed me in the right direction and let me ride solo the rest of the day. I rode up the the high fields and trotted a bit.
The views were spectacular and I could see the Pittsburgh skyline in the distance.
I had a wonderful time recognizing this is a trail riding organization which is exactly what they delivered.

Visited August 2013

14 attraction reviews
“Real horseback riding experience without the hand holding.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

My 70 year old mother, myself, and my two daughters (8, 11) had such a wonderful ride. We were greeted and asked about our level of experience and given (optional) helmets. Each horse was specifically chosen based on its disposition and propensity towards leading/following. My lead horse was fun to ride and spirited enough to give me a good gallop on the way back to the barn. My mother's horse easily followed, my 11 year old's horse was sweet and willing to trot for a little thrill, and my 8 year old had an older horse that hesitated to keep up and had to be coaxed along - but good problems to have for a horse carrying a youngster - she was sweet and calm. The guide leaves the group to follow the trail through the woods which gives the ride a thrill of options and opportunity to go for awhile alone. But don't get anxious because another guide is waiting for the group to surface to take you up on the hillside if you want to run or gallop the horses with a guide right beside you. Then the guide lines the horses back up to go back through the trails in the woods and, again, the group is met of the other side by another guide to direct the group to the barn. All the horses get a pep in their step to get back to the barn, so be ready to ride! The price is so incredibly reasonable that we will be returning several more times.

Visited July 2013
Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania
“Horrible management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I bought tickets for the moonlight ride experience. Needless to say it rained on Friday and was cancelled. The establishment called his brother (who also was going with his girlfriend) and told him to tell us it was rescheduled for tomorrow. Due to prior plans made months in advance for Saturday, we were unable to attend. We called Friday to see if we could reschedule for August (we did not ask for a refund, just a different date). We were told to call Saturday to speak with the manager. On Saturday we called and were told thay rescheduling on another day was impossible because they already spent our deposit on food.

Quite frankly, this is ridiculous. I understand canceling for rain, but not giving people the option to come another date due to the company canceling is stupid.

I can only imagine how rude the employees would have been if we would have been able to go.

Visited July 2013
Forfar, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Abandon all help ye who enter”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

I recently decided to introduce my mother to horse riding or as she now refers to it as her near death experience (i'll admit shes a tad dramatic). The first time we went was fantastic the horses were calm and well behaved..we arrived at 9am the first time.

The secind trip out was less than successful. We were helped on to our horses and asked for helmets that were not offered even though we didnt sign the waver. We got about 50 yards when my horse decided it didnt want me on. 33 decided to turn tail, as i pulled on the reins to try and stop the run 33 proceded to try and trow me off before i allowed it to return home. Feeling slightly nervous i mounted my second horse and started the trail a second time. All was seemingly well till the top of the hill.

At this point we were informed we could run..this is when my mum began to panic. I informed tge guide she was inexperienced so he stopped and allowed us to walk. We started down the hill and met a hand over guide called dave..which is not how my mum chooses to refer to him but i will keep the language civil. Dave was very eager to return to the barns to collect another group as they only had two guides on the trail. He asked us to hang back so he could gallop back. This is when my mums horse lost it. She started to turn in circles and rear up. My mum screamed for help. Dave watched. My mum screamed again dave trotted another ten yards away and said pull back on the reins...this did not help. My mum began crying and begging for help.Dave tutted and repeated his instructions. I screamed at dave to help. I then dismounted my horse and helped my mum down. Dave came closer and told me to let go of the horses they would go back themselves. We walked back to the barn..dave passed us with his next group of inexperienced riders without saying a word or asking how we were.

We discovered that dave had not explained to any of the other staff what had happened. I did that while my mum hyperventilated. We were offered a free ride...i did not reply I though perhaps she was trying to be funny. I facebooked the ranch to complain about our day they have not replied then have shown the same interest in my complaint as they did in my mothers safety.

I will not return clearly safety is a hit or a miss. The horses were overworked and over heated. The ranch does not cater to inexperienced riders and i would not risk my safety again at this place..i can only advise if you go that you take the helmet and go at 9am because after that the horses are tired, hot and unresponsive to commants. Do not expect any help from the guides either they have more important things to be doing than wasting time preventing injury to the customers or the horses.

Visited June 2013
“Fabulous for first timers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

My 11 year old wanted to go horseback riding for her birthday. Being inexperienced city slickers we had no idea what to expect. The staff was outstanding and assigned us good docile horses. There were friendly, helpful guides well situated throughout the gorgeous scenic trails, and our ride far exceeded our expectations! We even were able to run the horses on the field. The horses looked clean, healthy and well-cared for. There was a place for them to drink along the trails. This was such a great first experience for us; we will definitely be back. Rolling Hills Ranch rocks in our book!!!

Visited May 2013