“Dirty and unimpressed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 56 restaurants in Bridgeville
Cuisines: American
“Dirty and unimpressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We went to Sauce for the first time a few weeks ago and were not impressed. The front bar area looked nice, but we were seated in the back room, which took away my appetite. There was something disgusting smeared around the thermostat, food splashes on the walls, bullets missing from the booth cushions which snag on your clothes, dirty floor, and a general look like it's not cared for (tape and holes in the walls hap-hazardly here and there).

Our waitress was very nice. No complaints at all about the service. That was the one highlight of the visit.
Too bad the food was not appealing. I ordered a salad and mac 'n' cheese skillet. The salad came in a fried tortilla bowl and had some iceberg letuce and cucumber scraped free of seeds so it was basically the skin left behind (yuck). There was nothing refreshing about the salad, which was a shame. The salad dressing was given in a plasic cup with the lid still on it with writing scrawled on it as to what it was, which just added to the 'we don't care' look about the place. You'd think when you are paying that kind of money for a meal, you'd get at least average quality. The mac 'n' cheese skillet was huge.... no one should eat that much.... not that I am complaining, but it was just a big pile of goopy fat. Did not go for the leftovers of this dish. Fat with no flavor. I thought the choice of tomatoes and gorgonzola would be tasty, but they just add the gorgonzola to the soupy orange cheese base, losing the flavor of the gorgonzola completely. It was a waste of good cheese in a pile of yuck. I could feel my arteries congealing.

Also heard loud fighting from the kitchen. and I mean LOUD. It was awkward and uncomfortable to witness.

Sorry to say that we have zero interest in returning. Ever.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

56% Recommend
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Good food for a good price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

They may have the greatest Mac 'n' Cheese in Pittsburgh, oh and they also have house made potato chips...not a bad combo at all.

Visited April 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Was "OK".”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We were seated immediately. A little bit of attention to detail could be done--especially the floors and mirrors and windows. I almost fell on my butt on the way to the bathroom. We ordered the Homemade Chips as an app and they weren't too great. You could tell that they had been made earlier in the day and sat around. I ordered a Ham & Cheese Sandwich on a pretzel bun with a side of mac & cheese. My meal was fantastic. My boyfriend ordered a steak salad and it left a lot to be desired (meat wasn't cooked consistently) and definitely wasn't up to par. Our server was very nice and attentive and even took the chips off because of the bad salad. It definitely wasn't the worst place I've ever been, but I doubt I will rush to come back.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Great Burger!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I passed by Sauce when I originally moved to Pittsburgh, and though I noticed their sign about having been awarded the "best burger" in Pittsburgh, I didn't get a chance to test out their claim until recently.

Their burger definitely takes one of the top spots on my best of Pittsburgh list. Approximately the size of a hockey puck (maybe a bit taller), the burger will not leave you hungry. Crusted perfectly on the outside and medium on the inside, it was tender and delicious. The toppings were minimal, and I was allowed to add my own sauce (in this case, sun dried tomato mayo). I had the Pancetta Bacon and Gorgonzola burger. I could have used a teensy bit more gorgonzola, but that's more of a "I really love cheese" versus "It really needed it". The pancetta provided a nice hit of salt without overpowering the burger, and the sundried mayo was good. On the side, I had their homemade potato chips, which were deliciously crispy.

On this visit, we also tasted their fried pickles (with horseradish sauce). I loved the pickles, but am not a fan of horseradish. Wish they would serve them with ranch (asked for it on the side, and it was no big deal to get it though)! The pierogies and fries were also tried and both of my fellow diners enjoyed them (in fact, I didn't get a bite of either!).

It was late and quiet on a Sunday when we went, though when we tried to go the night prior, there was a 45 minute wait (during a hockey game, which is typical). So, go on the off-hours. Service was nice, and not overbearing. Sports on the tvs, nice bar, and overall, nice place. Great food that I will definitely be returning for!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good bar food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We have been to Sauce several times for both lunch & dinner. The space is small & noisy, hard to carry on much conversation unless they put you in the back room. GREAT burgers & wings, sandwiches are nice. Their signature dishes are served in a cast irin skillet. Try the mac & cheese!

• Visited September 2012