“Very nice staff, food plentiful” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 20 Restaurants in Breezewood
Ocala, Florida
“Very nice staff, food plentiful”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

The Gateway has been a major landmark in Breezewood, where travelers leave the PA Turnpike for I-70 or to get refueled. These days Gateway is partly a gas station, convenience store, traveler break area, and restaurant. The restaurant staff is super nice. The food is plentiful, but probably nothing special, though it is a break from fast food.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Out In The Country
“Basic Family Restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

It's a B-. Food was basic and menu had wide variety of foods. Good salad bar. Friendly staff. Fast service.
I'd stop in here again.

Visited September 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Don't eat there...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

On a positive note, the dishes and table were clean. While we were seated almost immediately, the wait for food took a very long time for eggs, ham, potatoes, and pancakes. The potatoes were so salty, that they could not be eaten. The ham, I'm pretty sure, came from a can. While the pancakes and eggs were OK, the food overall was not good. The service was also not good. I had to get up from my table, find the server, and ask for my check. Don't waste your money or time at this restaurant, especially when Perkins & Denny's Diner are literally 1 block away.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Salem, Ohio
“Adequate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

The food was ok, nothing great and not memorable. The staff was very nice and helpful. We were there on a holiday weekend and it was BUSY. We were seated immediately which was great.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, Virginny, USandA
“Bad Food, Outstanding Staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

In short, the food is not good, but the staff are absolutely fantastic. I’d eat there again to interact with these wonderful people, but I would bring my own food along.

We stopped in for a quick sit-down dinner on the way from DC to Pittsburgh. This is the reason Breezewood exists.

Our party of four were seated immediately, and given a choice of table, window booth or large corner booth. The hostess was very friendly, asking how our trip was going. The three teenagers with me opted for the big booth.

Menus came quickly, and drink orders were taken at the same time, and came back quickly. The soup n’ salad bar pricing alone and with dinner was explained. The menus were clean and in good repair, a key indicator of what to expect in an eating establishment.

Orders were made, and I opted for the soup/salad with my entrée. The salad bar was well stocked, and its surfaces very clean, another positive sign. This is not a massive salad bar, but had all the basics. I noticed no wilting or brown lettuce, and all the fixin’s, including some puddings, fruit, jello, etc. looked good. I opted for the soup, and got a cup of chili, with some cheese on top.

The chili was clearly not made in-house, institutional in color, consistency and flavor. Exceedingly bland, just tomato sauce with a dash of paprika and some beans. The consistency was a bit thick. The instituaional shreeded cheese did not help with the taste. I finished my bowl of chili and vowed never again.

My daughter’s chicken fingers were deeply over-fried, thin, dry and brittle. My son ordered the gravy and biscuits, and yes, the leftover (dried out) biscuits are the ones used for the gravy plate. Our teenage guest had the alfredo, overcooked noodles swimming in too much sauce, with a side of stiff mashed potatoes, no less. My son got the smothered burger, and pronounced it passable. I got the regular cheeseburger, and had asked specifically for lots of fresh onions, and received 3 rings of sliced onion. The highlight of the meal were the french fries, full cut, skin-on, and cooked well.

The final bill for appetizes, food bar, entress and drinks was about $62, so about $15 each. A bit spendy for an interstate stop, but not that unreasonable (we’re used to DC rates, I guess).

Halfway through the meal another family sat in the booth next to us and in no time the mouthbreathing teenage brother and sister were exchanging volleys of wadded up napkins and other trash paper, flying through the air, off the table, out of their booth, onto the floor. You couldn’t miss this action, and of course mom and dad couldn’t care less. Then one came over and landed on our table. I eyeballed the idiot kid good and hard and made it clear I was not happy, and he got the message. Did he apologize or otherwise make it better? Of course not.

The waitress arrived to ask how things were going, and I mentioned our problem with the neighbors. She immediately asked if I wanted her to say something. I chose non-confrontational, and said no. She left and within two minutes the head waitress arrived to ask the same, if I’d like her to ask the other folks to leave. Again, no, but thank you. She was very serious, very concerned about the quality of our meal and their behavior. She departed and within a minute the manager was at our table, apologizing for the problem and asking if I’d like them to be asked to leave. Again, no, not that big of a deal.

Now that is the kind of service I’d like to see a lot more of. Too bad it is far outclassing their food. Good on ya, Gateway staff, for your attention to detail and attention to the customers. It is a shame, too, because your food really isn't very good.

• Visited June 2013