“Murder in the Mountains” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Allenberry Resort Inn and Playhouse

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Boiling Springs
Allenberry Resort Inn and Playhouse
You added Allenberry Resort Inn and Playhouse to your Saves list
1559 Boiling Springs Road, Boiling Springs, PA 17007   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Boiling Springs
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Murder in the Mountains”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2007

Just returned from a Murder Mystery weekend event at the Allenberry, attended the weekend with a small group of friends. The resort grounds were very nice in the fall, the leaves were changing colors and everything looked great from the outside. Nice decorations and grounds. I will agree with previous postings that the rooms are not that great. We were in the Meadow Lodge building, from the outside the building looks like a woodsy lodge. When you come in through the front doors, there is a nice lounge area - Pergo flooing, great fireplace, great views of the Yellow Breeches and valley, leather furniture. We enjoyed spending time there in the evenings - pre-festivity cocktails - and in the morning. Our room was clean (staff was great) and of decent size but the style of the room reminded me of motor lodge rooms from the 80s. We weren't in the room that much so it didn't really matter.

For a couple, the murder mystery was $720. The actors were wonderful, plot was great and we definately enjoyed the festivities. Wine was included during the dinner events, during dinner. All other evening times had cash bars. There weren't any afternoon cocktails. There was an abundance of food, and at times it felt like we were on a cruise ship since there always seemed to be some kind of buffet. It was all very tasty but seemed to be a little too much.

We have attended murder mysteries in the past in other places, this mystery weekend was mostly performance based. You can, and are encouraged, to interact with the characters, but you are not assigned roles, given hints to pass along to other guests, etc. My husband and I like mysteries where you can have an active part during the weekend better, but, we did have an excellent time and would recommend to others.

I do have to mention that we heard about a free ticket offer to their playhouse, 2 complimentary tickets if you booked the murder mystery. This offer was online. I called and asked if the tickets were to be used that weekend only or if they could be used for a future show, at the time of the call the person told me they would be good for one year. When we arrived we were corrected that the tickets were to be used while we were there for the mystery, they were not good for future performances. If you decide to go up and see that offer, they have Saturday and Sunday matinees but we decided to go into the town of Boiling Springs instead. Had the tickets been good for a year my husband and I would have booked another weekend getaway. Now, we'll probably just go to another murder mystery sometime in the future, but will probably try another place next fall.

• Liked — The actors, wide selection of meal options, the setting in the fall
  • Disliked — The hotel room.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2006

This was our third stay in Allenberry. We were reffered to it about 10 years ago by friends at work.

We love to read and fish, and this is the perfect place for both. The setting is lovely and we like the old stone buildings on the grounds and the sense of history of the place.

I would agree with previous reviewers that at this point the grounds and rooms need some updating. The furnishings in our bedroom were circa the 1980's. The living room area had a nicer selection including some antiques. Our bathroom was very clean, but in need of a paint job and some updating of the light fixtures. We would also love the see the garden's restored.

• Liked — View of the river
  • Disliked — Decor needs updating
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Shady Side, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2006

This package included two night’s accommodations, more food than is good for you (including wine at dinner and drinks at Sunday brunch) and hours of madcap entertainment, all on beautiful grounds.
From the Friday night reception until the conclusion of Sunday brunch, anything can (and did) happen. By dessert on Friday two murders had been committed. Saturday brought exploding bodies, poisonings (the same character twice in one day, but she survived), more murders (I lost count), a nonfatal shooting, a bomb and an exorcism. Sunday I thought would involve only finding out who done it, but first there was time for one more murder.
The talented cast sat among the guests during meals and audience participation was encouraged. Some guests took notes, but even they could not figure out the twisted plot.
Murder Mystery weekends are offered October through April. Allenberry is third generation family owned and operated. They are proud of their many repeat customers and work very hard to make you another one.

• Stayed April 2006
Stafford, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2005

We just returned from our Thanksgiving getaway to Allenberry. The food and the play were great! Our package included dinner, play and one night stay. We stayed in the pine lodge. When we arrived, there was wine and cheese waiting in our room. Our lodge had a lounge with a fire place, coffee maker and microwave. The room itself was clean with no frills. There is no cable TV, so we had 4 stations. That was perfectly fine with us, but we brought our two teenagers along, so thankfully we also had a laptop with DVDs. Besides the dinner and play, there was not much for the kids to do. They did have complimentary horse and carriage rides. That was fun! It was very cold, so we couln't walk around the grounds. Me and my husband will go back to try the murder mystery week-end, but I will not bring the kids. I also had to remind myself that I was not at the Hiton. But I also did not have the price of the Hilton. The only real complaint that I have is the bedding could be upgraded.

• Stayed November 2005
Rockport, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2005

We had a wonderful time. It was a great surprise for my husbands birthday. He also enjoyed fly fishing. The mystery murder was really terrific even though we couldn't solve it. The food was delicious and such a great variety. It was the perfect getaway weekend. Our accomodations at the Still House was so romantic.

• Stayed October 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2005

This resort is made up of lodges and cottages located right on the Yellow Breeches Creek. We stayed at the Meadow Lodge ($130/night). We were very dissapointed in the room and lodge; it smelled musty, the hallway carpeting was buckled up, the bathroom was clean but very dated as was everything else in the room, and you could only get 3 channels on the TV. The grounds had a rundown feeling as well; shutters missing, light fixtures broken, garden untended, and the pool was dirty. I'm sure at one time this was a wonderful place to stay but now it is in desperate need of updating.

The reason for our stay was so my husband and son could fly fish in the Creek and they were not dissappointed but if we go back I would pick a hotel in nearby Carlisle and they could just drive a few minutes.

• Stayed July 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2004

I can personally recommend the Allenberry Resort as a very nice place for an affordable, fun filled weekend trip that is not far from home. I attended their recent Murder Mystery Weekend and had the best time. Their dining menu is excellent with well trained, friendly staff and very comfortable. They also offer a Theatre Season. Check it out!

Been to Allenberry Resort Inn and Playhouse? Share your experiences!