“Wonderful!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Orchard Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bird in Hand
Orchard Inn
You added Orchard Inn to your Saves list
44 South Harvest Road, Bird in Hand, PA 17505   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Bird in Hand B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Wonderful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

My husband and I normally stay at a bed and breakfast while in the area, but it was booked. We found this motel on a previous trip during a horse and buggy ride. I was not disappointed and although my husband liked it, he didn't like it as much as I did. The room was spacious with a king bed. The furniture was all Amish-made and beautiful. The bathroom had the shower and toilet in one room, the sink outside which was helpful in the morning. It also came with a little fridge and microwave. One thing that wasn't great was the "closet" was in front of the fridge, so when I wanted to open the fridge, I always had to move the clothes that were hanging.
The thermostat was also off. The first night I moved it to 65 since it was going to be in the mid 30's outside. We woke up in the middle of the night BROILING. I turned it off and opened the window to cool it down. We didn't turn it back on the rest of the trip and were comfortable. The first morning, the faucet knob in the shower broke off and they had it fixed right away and were very apologetic that it happened.
The breakfast was basic, but good. There was coffee, tea, hot chocolate, juice, 3 types of cereal and granola, locally made yogurt, bread , and jam. We had a small breakfast, since we do a lot of eating while in the Amish country. It was enough. Kauffman's Produce Market is within walking distance, but you still may want to take the car, because there is SO much good stuff to purchase.
Across the road from the motel is a horse with a "bubble gum machine" with horse feed that you can get for a quarter. That was fun; the horse was very friendly. Down the road a bit to the right is an Amtrak track. Kids who love trains would be very excited to see one rush by :)
The girls in the office were all very nice and always ready to help if needed. The whole place was clean, clean, clean. You could have eaten off the floor of the bathroom! We would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: I think any room would be good. We were next to the ice machine and didn't hear a thing.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Rixeyville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Tuesday, October 10, 2011

My wife and I spent a quiet and peacefull night at Orchard Inn. Super cean both inside and out. A non-smoking facility, this was great! The continental breakfest was fresh and adequate. Outside was a gazebo, areas with table and chairs, and a beatifull well manicured lawn, made enjoying the fresh air and Amish scenery that much nicer. Price was $110, we found this was compareable with others in the area. We have been vacationing in this area for 20+ years and have never stayed here for whatever reason. This was a nice surprise. Amenities include wireless internet, super clenliness, with plenty of quiet and room for kids to play! We don't recomend to those that want a pool!
Larry W

Room Tip: Ask for what is available, ie: handicap, number of beds needed per room, rooms personal view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Palestine, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

I read a few of the negative posts about this place AFTER we stayed and before I posted. I guess some people just can't be happy because this place was amazing! It isn't fancy, but it IS clean and has a homey feel to it! It is located just off a major tourist highway, but it is very quiet because of the orchards on either side of the property and just over a hill from the highway. The breakfast was definitely superior to others as pretty much everything is homemade, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the beauty of the countryside and Amish homes were breathtaking! We were on the tail-end of our east coast vacation and needed this quiet respite! We didn't take advantage of ANY of the tourist traps that go with this area...we just enjoyed our lodging and it's surroundings!! We WILL go back!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
toronto, ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

You certainly have to know where you're going to find this place - but that's the beauty of it. It is located in farmland, overlooking the countryside. The place was clean, all the amenities were there. The continental breakfast was far superior to anything you get elsewhere. Homemade bread, jam, yogurt from the local farms. Choice of cereals & juice & fruit. Most of the people we chatted with were returning guests and the others, like us, will be when we return to the area. It is a motel, and is priced as such. If you want a more upscale stay book at a B & B or something. It amazes me that people book an affordable place and expect it to be the Grand Hotel. They were doing some painting and our room had 2 chairs so obviously they are taking these reviews to heart. All the staff we encountered were helpful. The breakfast room was bright. If you have children, unless you are just coming to sleep, they probably would prefer a place with more for them to do.
Our only complaint was the weather, there was rain the whole time and there was flooding in areas nearby. We'll just have to return to be able to sit outside and enjoy the beautiful countryside.

Room Tip: My husband's only complaint about the King bed was it was too big! lol
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Milltown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

Just got home from our lancaster vacation. Orchard Inn is nestled in a charming area. absolutely beautiful off the beaten path just enough hear only the clip clop of the horses hooves. I was quite surprised to read the recent reviews that downed some of the attributes of this place. The rooms (at least the ones we were in) were spotlessly clean I witnessed the cleaning girls doing the windows inside and out everyday & we had plenty of seating (2 chairs in our room) the decor was simple not a lot of tacky pics and freshly painted white walls. The grounds were charming and very well maintained. There was a continental breakfast every morning a previous review complained about this but perhaps they were not clear about what a continental breakfast is it is not eggs pancakes and bacon it is a light meal and this one was better than what I have encountered elsewhere. coffee and toast no store bought junky danish here homemade bread with fresh spread homemade yogurt made with milk from the neighboring farm and lots of fruit and juices. there was also an offering of homemade grain cereals. We were thrilled with this place! The staff was very helpful pointing out places of interest also. We will definitely be returning here as a matter of fact everyone we talked to here was a repeat visitor. you will not be dissappointed!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
greensburg, pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

We have stayed here twice this year. In May, our room was okay, but in just three months it showed signs of a lot of wear. There were black marks on the wall, and there were what appeared to be water stains just inside the door trailing across the carpet to the sink. The decor is quite "institutional". I will say that it is nice to have a microwave in the room and there is ample room to move around the room without bumping to your fellow travelers. The beds are so comfortable...but so that we didn't hit our shins on the foot of the beds on the way to the bathroom at night, we used pillows as bumperpads.

The lack of seating in the room is a pet peeve of mine...only one creaky glider rocker. Coudn't the owners of the property place at least two chairs in each room...the room next to ours was being cleaned and I peeked into it and it did have two chairs. One time we did ask about more seating for the room and the lady at the front desk, who appeared to be the manager said for us to bring the plastic chairs from outside into the room if we wanted extra seating.

I am concerned about the lack of safety grab bars in the tub/shower. I noticed many senior travelers staying at the motel the time we were there and wondered how they managed.

I'm not much of a breakfast eater, but they had cold cereal, yougurt, bananas bread for toasting, coffee, oj, apple juice and I think packets of instant oatmeal. I had a slice of toast and oj. There is not much seating so if you wish to eat in the office area, get there early.

The landscaping is beautiful and the surrounding area is quiet and is convenient to Route 340.

Will we stay here in the future? We are not sure at this time....the jury is still out on this one.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Greensburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

The room was very clean, nice comfortable beds. Need grip handles in bathtub. Our room had one chair. There were 3 people. Some rooms has 2 chairs. Owners need to spend some money for chairs. The rooms need updated. The rooms are showing signs of neglect. For the price of the rooms they can afford to invest money in the motel. We will be looking for other accommendations in the future.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Orchard Inn? Share your experiences!