“Here we go again!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bird in Hand
Virginia
“Here we go again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Once again I am writing an updated review of our home away from home. Every Memorial Day we hit up this little gem of a motel and take in the sights. We had a late check-in which is normal for us. We arrived Thursday evening and Greg, in the office is so pleasant to speak with and will help you out with whatever you need. I always sit at the edge of my seat to see what (if any) upgrades they have made since our trip the previous year. This time around was another sweet surprise. WI-FI!!! We never thought we'd see the day! No more hot-spotting, no more AOL Dial Up! We were connected in seconds. They also removed the wallpaper, wallpaper border and changed the curtains from red to blue. It's very nice to see that they take great pride in even the simplest of upgrades. Another great thing was the fridge! It was not the little dorm sized one that we had used for years, it was about twice the size. VERY impressed. Believe it or not the fridge is important. On your little trips to the markets, smoke shops, bakeries etc, you will want to store your delicious delights and drinks right? So the added size is a plus! Now we can shop for more delights and be confident that there is room to hold them before we leave the motel to head home. This is such a small motel that really no in-room Microwave is needed, because in the breezeway they have 2 Soda Machines, ice machine as well as a microwave. Being that the motel is small, the walk to the microwave takes a minute. There is never anyone there. I have never used it myself but do appreciate that it is there for the visitors. I still don't know why the Snack machines were removed a few years ago. Strange. Just soda machines now. Ok, so now back to the room. Everything was perfectly neat and tidy and that is the way we love it. We never fear that there is going to be an issue when we open the door. There was a weird smell though this time, that almost smelled like cat urine. It was pretty strong. I did notify the office and it turned out that the housekeeper had tried out a new cleaning chemical. I can't fault her for that, but it really was strong. We were lucky enough that we were offered another room on the 2nd night (typically they are booked on Memorial Day Weekend) but we politely thanked them and declined because at this point we had gotten used to the smell and it was not a big deal. Also my Husband was sitting on one of the table chairs and it was wobbly. He almost fell right off of it. We told the office as we were heading out for the day to take in he sights. We were told maintenance would take a look at it for us. On we went. An hour later we went back to our room to take a bathroom break before heading out again. The chair was fixed already!!! AWESOME turn-around! I have to say I just love this place. The housekeepers are WONDERFUL. They take care of the rooms. Rooms are ALWAYS clean and you never feel as though you have to walk around in shoes or socks. The carpets are spotless, bathroom floor is clean, shower, sink, dressers etc. They really do a great job. So be sure to tip them upon your departure. They leave a little envelope for that on your table. We usually leave $10.00 or so. NOW, even though I am a VERY loyal visitor I have to say that the things I would like to see upgraded are the bed and the TV. I think maybe the King rooms have upgraded to a flat screen, however the doubles are still with a tube TV. Since everything in Amish Country closes down by 8pm (not in Lancaster itself) in the evening you will want to sit outside on the fabulous lawn chairs or, watch TV in your room. I find the tube TV's always have an iffy picture quality. I would love to see all the rooms have a flat screen. The bedding is not good for my Husband and I. For YOU it may not be a problem though. The beds are hard, and the pillows are just as hard. We always run over to K-mart and purchase two cheap pillows for our stay. The first night we tried to get through it and we were terribly uncomfortable. Up most of the night. They are so firm! I think they do this because it's easier (cheaper) to maintain it's form than more of a plush pillow. But, I think it's time to upgrade all of the bedding TO plush! A down (or down-alternative) comforter and some plus pillows. Four on each bed would be great. If you have both double bed filled you are stuck with one firm pillow and be prepared to be uncomfortable. This time my Husband and I went alone (without our Son) so we both shared the bed and were able to take the two pillows from the other double. but even so, it was awful. Some people may LOVE firmness so I can only speak for myself here. But just keep that in mind if staying here. I would suggest bringing a couple of softer pillows or purchasing a couple in town. The bed sheets are crisp and fresh. Clean as can be. So don't let my rambling complaints deter you from this motel! I LOVE it at the AMC. I just would like to see those two upgrades (bedding and TV) other than that - this place is perfect. It's a no-thrills motel. Just a nice place to sleep in peace and quiet. The grounds are beautifully maintained. The staff is awesome too. The room including bathroom is a bit on the small side but you really don't spend much time in your room anyway. You have use of all amenities at the Bird in Hand Family Inn so if you want the indoor pools you can go there. So that's that. Once again, thank you AMC for a wonderful visit. We love and adore you! Sad to see the old sign go, but the new one is beautiful and welcoming! If anyone has questions about what to do in the area, contact me! I can let you know some of the great markets and restaurants that shouldn't be missed! If you can get out of the room early there are some GREAT places in the area to grab breakfast!!!

Room Tip: First floor rooms have parking at your door. Bring a couple of soft bed pillows for your stay. The...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Alicia A, Public Relations Manager at Amish Country Motel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
We’re always working to update our rooms, and we’re so happy to hear that you noticed! We appreciate a 5 star rating, and we love hearing that our service is hitting the mark. Your constructive criticism didn’t go unnoticed. We’re working on replacing mattresses, pillows and bedding. We also started putting flat screen televisions in the King room and the Suites. Come back soon!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Honestly ... my wife considers motels to be beneath her, but this was a last minute excursion, and everything else was booked, so we hesitantly reserved a King room.

The place obviously isn't of newer construction, but was remarkably intact and incredibly well-maintained. The bottom door on the bathroom vanity had been replaced with a solid piece of secure wood, the edges of which someone had actually taken the time to router!

The rug still had the swirl patterns of having been recently burnished and shampooed. No obvious deficits in the room, and ~unbelievably~ there were spare towels, blankets, sheets and even a pillow stored in the dresser! You won't find that in chain lodging. The washcloths and towels were thicker than ours at home.

Yes, we were issued an ancient device to open the door (a metal key), and the cows across the street occasionally mooed, but the place was eerily quiet - almost too quiet - at night despite the fact that it was packed. We ate breakfast at their chain restaurant as well, which was outstanding.

The only issue keeping the place from 5 circles (stars) was the fact that the motel is not on a municipal water supply and evidently uses pumped well water, the pressure of which isn't what we're used to. Otherwise, a ~very~ pleasant surprise.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We have always stayed at the Bird in Hand Family Inn but we were unable to get a room there this year. We decided to stay at the Amish Country Motel and we are so happy we did. The staff was nice and helpful if we had a question. Our room was very clean, comfortable and a nice size. The bathroom was an okay size but the shower was a little small. I kept hitting my elbow on the wall! Even though the motel is close to the road we did not hear any noise. The grounds are kept very nice. The pool looked nice and a lot of people were enjoying it. There are chairs on the front lawn that you can sit in and relax while watching horses and buggies go by as well as the farm across the street. I loved walking outside in the morning and hearing the rooster crow. There is complimentary coffee, tea and hot chocolate in the lobby. We would have loved a small complimentary breakfast - muffins or danish.

You are able to take advantage of the activities at the Bird in Hand Family Inn - the ice cream social/campfire with s'mores. We took the complimentary tour of the farmland that is offered as we had taken it last time we were in Bird in Hand. You tour the country and stop at different Amish businesses. We had a great time last time and learned a lot. We had the same tour guide as last time. This time the guide seemed to be in a bad mood and was a little snippy when people asked questions…almost like we should have known the answer.

The Amish Country Motel was a great place to stay and we can't wait to return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

This motel is set out in the middle of the beautiful Amish farmlands - yet close enough to many merchant stores, quaint country shops and great restaurants!! A nice relaxing view of the Amish horse and buggies from the front lawn and beautiful cornfields behind the motel. They have a pool which is open until labor day - and you also have access to the indoor pool and facilities after that at their sister motel right up the road. The motel is about an hour and 25 minutes from Sesame Place and 20 minutes from the Strasburg railroad - which included a day out with Thomas the Tank Engine. My grandkids were in their glory with both places!! The staff at the motel is more than happy to accomodate your needs and the place excels in cleanliness!! Free coffee, tea or hot chocolate is available in the office - as well as free Wifi. Love this place and the sorrounding areas!! Already booked our stay for next year and looking forward to it!!

• Stayed September 2012
Hamilton TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We loved our room at the Amish Country Motel. The setting is beautiful and we loved being able to sit outside and watch the buggies go by. Nothing fancy about the place which was fun by us. We're not too fancy either and prefer clean and neat to fancy and pricey!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I am just a teen. Believe it or not, i love going here. And its not just because i love animals. It feels like home, Even though we dont live on the farm. It has nice staff, wonderful hamemade breakfast. A pool that is fun to hang in. ( we usally swim at the other bird in hand sometimes) The rooms are cozy and comfortable. And the bathrooms are just fine. Nothing compares to happiness. I am even going soon so i will enjoy it. Lancaster all in all is wonderful. Ive been here a lot of times and everytime gets better because i know places to go.

Room Tip: back rooms are better and have a view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ontario, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We love the Amish Country Motel. The price is very reasonable. It's great to sit in the front and watch the horse and buggies ride by. The bed is comfortable, the fridge was nice sized. The pool was refreshing. Not fancy but clean & well run. I would visit again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Amish Country Motel? Share your experiences!