“Very Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 13 Restaurants in Bird in Hand
Cuisines: American, Dutch
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Farm To Table Since 1959. Amos, Ben, Manny and Elmer, are our Amish neighbors who supply us with sweet corn, tomatoes, watermelon, cabbage, broccoli, squash, peppers and onions, and have helped us go from "farm to table" for over 50 years. Plain & Fancy is home to Lancaster County PA's original Amish Farm Feast. This full course, pass-the-platter dinner includes appetizers, entrees, sides, breads, desserts and beverages. Or, sit at your own private table and select from our a la carte menu.
“Very Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

This was recommended from Amish View Inn and Suites where we like to stay when we come into the area. The first time we went (4 mos ago)the service was good and the fried chicken and steamed vegetables were delicious. This time the fried chicken was not seasoned at all and the buttered noodles were not traditional noodles you get in this region. The vegetables were three pieces I think of zuchinni or squash and a large round slice of onion and pepper. Not the delicious portion I recv'd on my first visit. The noodles were small pasta shaped similar to a bowtie with no butter. The server told me that they were "their buttered noodles" . She did replace them with mashed potatoes when I asked. Rather she slammed them down in front of me and never came back to ouir table to ask how everything was or to refill drinks. It was clear she was ignoring us. She did however go to both tables on either side of us and gave them good service. The only thing she said when she came back was "Will you be having desert tonight?" Really ? I was never rude to our waitress. I waitressed for many years so I know the expectation and I am always especially nice and generous to wait staff.. There are too many good restaurants in the area such as Dienner's in Ronks.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Chris G, Manager at Plain & Fancy Farm & Dining Room, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your experience with us during your recent meal. I will pass your comments along to our management team. Again, I am sorry about your experience and hope you'll give another try. Thanks again for sharing your comments.

UK
“a little disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We'd been waiting for this moment all week.

We went early because we were hungry and to ensure we got a seat. We were taken into the main dining room and joined two small groups of americans as they had just started their starters. The mains were then brought out. The beef was good and so was the buttered noodles (pasta bowties). We were disappointed with the fried chicken. We found it a little overdone and a bit dry.
We were brought a range of puddings on a trolley which we picked from and were served. The Apple crisp appeared to be a crumble. My mum and I tried the wet shoofly pie and the sour cream apple pie- of which we were a little disappointed. The pastry tasted floury and didn't look cooked. The shoofly pie was too sweet for our English taste buds but we were glad to have tried it.

While eating the puds the bills were brought to us and the american couple picked up ours as it was facing them before giving it back to us. We thought we had seen a till on the way out so thought to go that way but didn't see one. We had to linger in the entrance of the main dining room for a while before our waiter realised that we were attempting to pay

On a more positive note we really enjoyed the lemonade and if we could have taken a jug of it away with us then we would have.

All in all I think it was just a little too american for us. We might have been better off having the al carte menu on a private table. We were glad to have at least tried it.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chris G, Manager at Plain & Fancy Farm & Dining Room, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
We are thrilled you stopped in and tried our Amish Farm Feast while visiting Lancaster County. I am sorry that you were a little disappointed in your experience with us but I am you gave us a try. Thank you for sharing your review with us and safe travels!
Jacksonville, FL
“Very Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

First of all, we made an 11:30AM lunch reservation on-line for after our 10:00AM Farmland Tour. We were one of the first diners in the restaurant and by Noon the place was packed. My husband and I had a table for 2 and ordered from the ala carte menu. We both had the fried chicken platter and it was delicious. I had mashed potato and sweet corn sides. The mashed potatoes were pretty good, but the sweet corn was the best. My husband had the best french fries and his sauted vegetables were good. I asked the waitress if she would mind substituting a piece of raisin bread for a roll which she gladly obliged. The raisin bread was a dessert in itself, but I had to try the Shoe Fly pie, which we split. The pie was wonderful. After lunch we went to the Amish Experience Theater to watch Jacobs Choice, a good decision to have a rest after a very filling and delicious lunch. We had 10% off coupons which I printed from the website before our arrival. We were quite happy with our lunch and the bill. Our waitress Renee was truly a pro.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chris G, Manager at Plain & Fancy Farm & Dining Room, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for your recent review and for sharing all there is to do on Plain and Fancy Farm. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your meal and I will pass your compliments on to Renee and our management team. Thanks again and we look forward to serving you again soon!
St.George's Bermuda
“Good wholesome family food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We had a great experience here! It is a family style log cabin type atmosphere inside and the spread of food is amazing. You dine with others at a long pine-table and share all the menu items . We thought we would pick one starter, one main course and one dessert but you get one of everything!!! What a surprise! An amazing value for approx 15.00 per person can get it even cheaper with a buggy ride discount of 10% or a magazine voucher for 3.00.itis a must after a busy day out !

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Chris G, Manager at Plain & Fancy Farm & Dining Room, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for recent review. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed our Amish Farm Feast. With all the great choices we offer, we hope no one leaves the table hungry! Next time, give our ala carte menu a try, another great way to try lots of PA Dutch style dishes. Thanks again for your review.
Spring Grove, Pa
“wedding rehearsal brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We came here after my sisters wedding rehearsal for a brunch. The food was good and plentiful and the staff very attentive to the 2 tables we had. I would definitely return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent experience with us and thank you for allowing us to be a part of your family's special celebration! We are honored!! We look forward to serving you all again real soon.