“Plainly Rude” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 13 Restaurants in Bird in Hand
Cuisines: American, Dutch
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Farm To Table Since 1959. Amos, Ben, Manny and Elmer, are our Amish neighbors who supply us with sweet corn, tomatoes, watermelon, cabbage, broccoli, squash, peppers and onions, and have helped us go from "farm to table" for over 50 years. Plain & Fancy is home to Lancaster County PA's original Amish Farm Feast. This full course, pass-the-platter dinner includes appetizers, entrees, sides, breads, desserts and beverages. Or, sit at your own private table and select from our a la carte menu.
Treasure Island, FL
“Plainly Rude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We reserved a table for two at Plain and Fancy for 6:45 PM on August 22. Upon checking in with the hostess at the appointed time, we were told that it would be a few minutes before we could be seated. We waited patiently in direct view of the hostess as the restaurant began to fill up from about 7 PM on. At 7:15. I approached the hostess again and politely inquired when we could expect to be seated. Resembling a deer in the headlights, the short-term-memory-challenged-individual responded by asking whether we had checked in with her upon arrival. I said “yes, a half hour ago”, adding that “we have been standing in plain sight of you since then.” She countered by re-inspecting her reservation list, and boldly asserted that we had not checked in with her, essentially calling me a liar. Although she offered to seat us “promptly”, she steadfastly refused to give me an estimate of how long that might be. With her continuing evasion and lack of politeness, we promptly departed for more promising dining opportunities, all the while realizing that the options had become somewhat limited at that hour in Pennsylvania Dutch Country.

The happy end to the story is that we were very pleasantly surprised by discovering Jennie’s Diner on US 30 (near Dienner’s, which had closed by that time on Thursday evening). With great home cooking at terrific prices, Jennie’s can’t be beat. A testament to that is the presence of more thn few long-haul truckers parked in back. What a wonderful surprise! I now silently thank the incompetent hostess at “Plainly Rude” for inadvertently introducing us to such a pleasant dining establishment as Jennie’s.

• Visited August 2013
Chris G, Manager at Plain & Fancy Farm & Dining Room, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am truly sorry for the experience you had with us during your visit. I will pass your comments along to our restaurant manager. Again, I am sorry for your experience and I hope you will give us another chance in the future.

Managua, Nicaragua
“Think Plain, not Fancy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Alright if you like comfort food. Went in August looking for corn on the cob. They didn't have it though it was pictured on the menu. Don't get the reconstituted corn. It looks like corn flakes cereal and tastes worse.
Do pick up the "Plain and Fancy" flyer available outside the restaurant.. The waitress applied a 10% discount coupon just for seeing it on the table.
Do try the Shoo Fly pie with coffee.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for posting your recent review. I am sorry that we did not have corn on the cob during your visit and our dried sweet corn, although a local favorite, is an acquired taste for some. I am glad you enjoyed our homemade Shoofly Pie, it's one of our guests favorite desserts! Thanks again for taking the time to share your review.
Lehigh Valley, PA
“Exactly what it promises to be, and I loved it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Sure, it's kinda touristy, but who cares? If you travel (news flash) YOU'RE A TOURIST :), so this restaurant is exactly what it looks like: An all-you-can-eat, PA Dutch, family-style restaurant. Prices are very reasonable, service is fast, food is better than average,and it's a fun place if you're visiting this region. Loved it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your recent review. Our goal is to deliver excellent customer service while providing our guests with a true taste of Lancaster County! I am glad you enjoyed your visit with us and look forward to the opportunity to serve you again! Thanks again for your review!
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
“Not what I was expecting”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

It seemed like a tourist trap to me. As soon as we entered the parking lot a saw the big gaudy signs we should have turned around. We have eaten at several "Amish themed menu restaurants" and this one was not up to par. The chicken pot pie which was their starred menu items tasted watery and not very authentic. Also their buttered noodles were not as good as others. Overall if you are into tourist traps stop by lots of souvenirs, and so so dishes but if you want something a little more authentic drive right by.

Visited August 2013
Chris G, Manager at Plain & Fancy Farm & Dining Room, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thanks for your recent review for Plain & Fancy Farm Restaurant. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your experience. We strive to provide our guests with the highest quality of foods, using fresh and local ingredients daily to prepare our dishes. Our goal is to be able to provide our guests with a true taste of Lancaster County when they visit us and I am sorry that you feel we fell short during your visit . Thank you again for your review.
Philadelphia
“Good chicken”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My friend and I ate at a family style table on August 11th. Unfortunately, others at the other end of the table weren't eager to share food with those at our end of the table. We received a salad bowl with three pieces of tettuce and a crouton. The chow-chow bowl was nearly empty when it came to us. The people at the other end of the table must not have liked mashed potatos, because they passed us a full bowl. We were lucky enough to get some chicken because the waittress set the bowl down beside my friend. We also had some of the other entree meats. When the meal was over, we noticed that there were green beans served. They never made it to our end. We did tell the waittress that others weren't sharing, but she didn't seem to pay any attention to us. We had to ask to have a serving on our side of the table. We asked her to serve dessert at our end or we wouldn't have gotten a selection. The fried chicken was excellent. I would eat at Plain and Fancy on another trip and order from the menu but I would never eat at a family style table again .

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chris G, Manager at Plain & Fancy Farm & Dining Room, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review about your recent visit to Plain & Fancy. I am sorry to hear that your experience with the Amish Farm Feast was disappointing. The idea of our feast is for guests to meet new families and be able to sample traditional PA Dutch and American fare dishes (all you can eat) in our pass-the-platter tradition. I am glad to hear you'll be back to give our Ala Carte menu a try and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again.