“One of the best meals ever” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Philadelphia, PA
“One of the best meals ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Pretty much if you are waiting 3-4 months for a reservation chances are you have been to other fine dining establishments and this one will not dissapoint. It is really casual /elegant dining at it best. There were people with suit jackets and no tie, buisness casual and some people that looked like they just drove back from the beach. I would say the dress was basically "come as you are" but for the most part people wore a collard shirt and Khakis, laid back seemed to be the dress code and that was fine with us. In a word "spectacular", one of the very rare restaurants that lives up to the hype. From top to bottom this place is perfect. Yes, you need reservation 3 months in advance but it is worth it. The waitress was very professional, the food looked spectacular, tasted spectacular and the setting can not be matched in any Philadelphia restaurant simply becuase it is in the middle of farms and forest. It is a BYOB so bring a bottle or two, Cash and check only, Dinner for 2 with 2 appetizers, the most expensive Entree and 2 dessert came to $130.00. Totally worth it.

• Visited July 2013

Pennsylvania, USA
“Consistently the best of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We are very discerning diners and are always on the lookout for a new BYO that meets our standards. The first time we came to Birchrunville Store Café, we knew that we had just found the ultimate. We have been back on many occasions, and have never been disappointed. The waitstaff are top-notch professionals. They are super-pleasant and accommodating, are able to explain every dish in detail, and they list the numerous nightly specials in minute detail. The menu offerings are numerous, and each is excitingly different from the norm. Everything is so inviting that it is difficult to make a choice. Quite often we make our choices based on the accompanying side dishes which are always super-creative and exciting. The only criticism we can make is that quite often the side dishes are not hot enough, as though they were plated first and then waited for the main dish to come off the stove-top or oven. And sometimes things are over-salted. But the quality of the ingredients, the creativity, and the excellent preparation and presentation, plus the great waitstaff, keep us coming back and keep Birchrunville on the top of our "best" list. The restaurant is located in gorgeous rural countryside and in summer it is an especially enjoyable drive to get there.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pennsylvania
“Don't miss this one!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

After hearing great things about this restaurant, we finally made a trip to eat there. All I can say is it was so worth it! Anyone who enjoys delicious food, eaten in a cozy atmosphere, with an attentive wait staff and the added charm of a historic building will relish the evening they spend there. The one side of the building is still an operational post office.
It is only open Wednesday thru Saturday and reservations are a must! The night we ate there, it was packed. I had the Chilean Sea Bass with fresh lobster risotto. My husband chose the veal tenderloin. Both were amazing.
It is BYOB...you'll only have to show up with that and a big appetite to enjoy the sumptuous food!

Pottstown, Pennsylvania
“Is there a better word for Awful?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have no ability to understand any positive review for this place. If the word Awful was alive it would be mad that I trivialized it by calling this place awful. The food was flat out terrible. If you have no fine dinning experience, you may "want" this place to be good so you may mistake your experience. Everything my wife and I had was prepared ahead of time and it was just BAD. Everything was overcooked or over salted or very poor quality. My wife's veal chop would be better described as a fat and gristle chop. It was not eatable. They served us cold vegetables that were plated under the warm meat...I was told that the veg was "supposed to be cold". They even tried to make tap water sound more refined or elegant. They referred to is as "well water". I am not sure if that is more corny or pretentious but either way it was just foolish. We ate our appetizers (not that they were good, mine was very poorly prepared - we were just really hungry) but both our entrees were so bad we could not eat them. We had to leave as I was not prepared to listen to any more of their foolish excuses. I gifted them $60 and I overpaid by about $100. We should have been compensated for being subjected to this place. We did not stay to hear how they felt about their entrees but the table of four next to us told the server that no one cared for their appetizers. When you leave a restaurant (which we were really looking forward to trying) and say "I wish I had gone to McDonald's"...you know the food was horrible. Take it from someone who had dined at many restaurants and although I am not a chef, I am a darn good cook, you are completely wasting your time and money by going to this place...it is a complete joke. The best thing I can say it that the setting was quaint. However, if I had to sit road side on interstate 95 to experience the food of the greatest chef in the world the setting would be much less important than the food.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“You won't be disappointed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We never leave before booking our next reservation. Food is predictably delicious. I usually get the fish and it is always moist and flavorful. The service is friendly and attentive. Great atmosphere in this quaint, small restaurant. Don't skip the dessert. I always go back to the butterscotch cake, but have tried many others. All yummy.