“Improvements made from remodeling made the experience worth the money.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge Motel

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bellefonte
Buffalo, New York
“Improvements made from remodeling made the experience worth the money.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

We have stayed at this motel when it was the Colony Lodge. The rooms were poor, but the price was right for a bunch of fishermen who just wanted some place to lay their head. It was a pleasure to see the remodeling that they have done. They are still not elegant but they are a much better value than they had been in the past. We will be back.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

At first I was not sure to book a room at this place, but I only like to stay at Econo Lodge so I decided to make the reservation. When we got there the clerk was very nice and helpfull and they were nice enough to give me a room by the office. The room was clean and comfertable as I expected from Econo Lodge. I enjoyed my stay at this Econo Lodge and will definitely come back to stay when I visit my son at Penn State University.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Fort Wayne IN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

The room had a strong, not slight, but very strong odor like old cheese and BO. It became intense when I turned on the vent system.

The walls looked like someone splashed coffee on them near the door. I can't believe that this was allowed to just dry hard on there.

The furniture in the room was dusty, and the phone had visible dirt on it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Ladysmith, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

This is the best kept secret for any PSU fan that doesn't want to pay $300/night at a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn in State College. The hotel is only 5 minutes away from Beaver Stadium! My friends and I stay here every year and have been treated great ever since. Management is very friendly and willing to assist any way they can, the hotel is perfect for game weekends as all you need is a roof over your head and a warm place to take a shower and sleep! Highly reccomend for a true fan looking for a close stay at an affordable price! Do not stay here if you consider yourself "too good" for society and that everyone owes you something..... the Ritz-Carlton has availablity up the street.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

When I walked in the reception area to check-in, I was overwhelmed by a HORRIBLE smell, like something had died in there. I thought, if my room smelled like this, I'm finding a different place to stay. Luckily, our room didn't smell, but there were a few things that I didn't like. 1) There was a window in the bathroom and they didn't bother to replace the broken blinds (with LARGE gaps) so people from outside can actually look in the bathroom and see you (yes, we tried). We had to slip a towel in between the blind's pleats to cover holes and gaps. 2) The floors look like they haven't been vacuumed in ages. The corners next to the bed posts had dust bunnies and a coating of dust/dirt. 3) The ceilngs in the room had cracks and chipped paint, the ceiling in the bathroom wasn't any better and had a smashed dead bug (gross!). 4) The AC was a really old unit and we couldn't get our desired temperature so we were tossing and turning all night from sweat.

If all you need is a place to crash, this place may be doable considering there aren't any bed bugs (we checked our room), but if you aren't on a tight budget I would suggest looking elsewhere. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2008

Got a room at the Colony Lodge motel few months ago and was a pleasent stay. The staff were helpful and the rooms were not too bad. It does look as tho they have made some major remodling from last year I stayed. Overall it was good for the money I paid during my son's graduation.

• Liked — Staff and service
  • Disliked — Everything was ok
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2008

My friend and I stayed at the Colony Lodge near Bellefonte and State College, PA in the fall of 2007.

This was the only hotel available which should have raised a red flag. We paid $69.00 a night which really didn't seem too bad since the pictures on the site looked like it was a nice little simple no frills hotel.

Thank God we decided to bring Lysol and Lice spray, along with our own blankets and pillows! The room was very small which was okay with us. The bathroom on the other hand was so small, you could barely turn around! The tub was stained as was the sink! These were not rust stains. With a lot of elbow grease these could have been clean! ( Well, who knows how long it had been since it was cleaned. It may have been well beyond help!) The window in the bathroom was the roll-out type with no screen and no privacy. This window had to be open during showers and after because there was not an exhaust fan. The floor was grimy and had human hairs on it and I don't mean the ones from your head! ( Sorry, but it's true!) There was no room on the sink for anything but a bar of soap. The towels were also stained!

Now for the rest of the room. There was chair beside the TV which had stains on it from Goodness knows what! We are talking serious stains, not just a drop of food, water spill, etc...No, no, no! I swear it could have been a piece of evidence!
The carpet was okay, except for between the beds where it couldn't have been vacuumed for months. There was so much dust. Then, behind the TV, there was an empty box of woman's sanitary napkins, and several other papers, and of course more dust!

I know this sounds unbelievable, but It still goes on!

The outside door was all marked up and it looked like someone had kicked it a few times, it was filthy dirty!

There is an ice machine. It is way down at the end of the outside rooms and is also located outside. I felt sorry for whoever had the rooms right near it!

Here's the best part! (Worst) When I got home and emptied my ice chest, the water smelled like sewer! No kidding, it was so bad!!!!

Anyway, just to let you know I am not a super picky person, but this was just discusting. This place should be closed down!!!!!! If you are heading to this area and this is the only place left, for God's sake sleep in your car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been to Econo Lodge Motel? Share your experiences!