“Odd place - was hoping for better” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 27 Restaurants in Bellefonte
PA
“Odd place - was hoping for better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Cool Beans looked like a neat place, so I decided to try it today. The first thing that put me off was when the cashier told me the total for my order, took my cash, then closed the cash drawer without giving me any change. No big deal, it was only 15 cents, but I don't think I've ever had a cashier assume I didn't want my change back. Too much trouble to give me change? - that 15 cents became her tip.

Second issue was the coffee - I like a robust brew, and am used to the variety of quality you get at restaurants and coffee shops, but this coffee was literally as thin as dishwater - no flavor at all. Yes, I could have taken it back and asked for another cup, but I was with friends and didn't want to look like a complainer. I can make a better brew at home with Mr. Coffee.

Final beef - the front room where the service bar is located is cute, cozy, typical coffee shop decor. The adjoining room where we had to sit reminded me of a basement rec room - mismatched chairs, fluorescent lights - definitely missing the charm of the front room. Felt like I was in a diner.

I don't usually complain about restaurants but I feel this place can do better. Hopefully the owner reads these reviews and takes them to heart.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Pittsburgh
“Great little restaurant for a lunch break.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We found Cool Beans offered good food and service. It is located in a convenient location near the center of town. The luncheon special was delicious. The decor left something to be desired but it may have been part of the ambiance.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lewisburg PA
“Not that cool.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Looks cute from the outside but once you're down the stairs and inside it's not so cute or cool. The staff could have been friendlier... they were far more interested intaking to each other than customer service. We ordered an iced latte and a Chai...the latte was served in a hot beverage to go cup with a sleeve (!!) and the Chai was like warm milk with a hint of spice. A handful of baked items but nothing tempting. Quiet as a library. There's sparse seating and a back room with a small playroom for kids. The back room is a repository for old/rejected furniture...a hodge podge mix of old tables and a desk, a bookshelf, and a recliner. In one end of the room is the bathroom...it was smaller than ones on a plane (and dirty/smelly with no vent...)
We won't be back.