“Avoid at all costs!” 1 of 5 stars

Good for: Outdoor seating
Washington, DC
“Avoid at all costs!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Hoping to enjoy a quiet evening outside of State College, I took my girlfriend on the fifteen minute ride to Bellefonte. We weren't exactly sure what we were in the mood for, so we drove across the small town a few times and ultimately decided "The Governor's Pub" looked like a great choice. Upon entering we were impressed by the comfortable atmosphere and modern decor of the restaurant. The menu was small, however it did offer a few promising options...or so we thought. We opted for a spinach and artichoke dip as our appetizer, along with a spinach and tomato cheese ravioli and the "la Bellfonte chicken" for our entrees. It took about 10 minutes to get our drinks (water), and our appetizer followed shortly there after. The dip itself was okay, but the "toasted" baguette it was served on was luke warm at best, and reminded me of bread that had been sitting on the counter for a few days. There was nothing "toasty" about it....just room temperature, stale bread. It is a sad day when I would rather at dish at a place like TGI Friday's where it is half the price, and twice as delicious. Disappointed with the appetizer, we had higher hopes for our entrees. Both dishes were relatively simple (ravioli takes about ten minutes to cook, and my Bellefonte chicken was simply described as chicken served over linguini in a roasted red pepper cream sauce). You would expect these things to take maybe twenty five minutes (tops) to prepare. Well over forty minutes later we noticed the table next to us (who had sat down over fifteen minutes after us) were being served their entrees, home-made chicken pot pie, or some variety there of. We hadn't even been served our salads or bread, which were supposed to be included with the meal. Upon asking our waitress if the salad was coming she simply responded "Oh, we were out of lettuce and it just came in....I'll go get it for you." We were eating at 8:00pm...what kind of supplier delivers at 8:00 at night? It was quite obvious we were being lied to, especially when the table next to us had been promptly served salads after ordering. It is important to note that there may have been maybe 10 people in the restaurant when we were dining...so there was no excuse for such poor service. Nearly forty five minutes after sitting down, the salads were finally delivered. They were minuscule at best, and the bread was cold and soggy. It almost seemed as if it was frozen and just reheated in a microwave, but continuing with the theme of failing to provide a quality eating experience, the chefs of The Governor's Pub did not warm the bread nearly long enough. Well over an hour after sitting down, our meal finally arrived....and I could only describe it as horrendous. I would have rather ventured to the Olive Garden...or simply ate a TV dinner from Walmart. Honest, it was that bad. My girlfriend's ravioli was over cooked, and had absolutely zero taste. My Bellefonte chicken was drowning in sauce, which was more runny than a leaky faucet. So much for a cream based sauce....or a cute dinner with my girlfriend. It is safe to say we neglected to try dessert, and got out of the "pub" as soon as possible. Avoid at all costs, you will be surely disappointed.

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Pennsylvania
“Affordable Fine Dining in Victorian Bellefonte”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

We often entertain clients from out of town. As far as fine dining in Bellefonte you have only two choices. The Gamble Mill or the Governor's Pub. I prefer the Governor's Pub because when I leave I feel like I ate a good meal. The Gamble Mill is very exclusive but the cost is high for the quantity of food you get. The ub is in the heart of down town and acrosss the street from the Talleyrand Park. Feeding fish from the bridge only steps away from the Pub is a must. If you prefer the ducks will be glad to eat too. There is an ice cream stand nearby if you want dessert.

Back to the Pub. It is very ew so the place is immaculate. It is a family owned place that tends to use family. They care about the profuct. They usually are not terriblt busy so it is fine. They can get overwhelmed at times if too many show up at once which slos the service. They do have lunch and dinner. I would say the meals tend to be more German or European. They do have great beer to compliment your meal.

• Visited September 2011