“Like eating in a basement” 2 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 41 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
cleveland, oh
“Like eating in a basement”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

My wife and I were looking forward to visiting the Jean Bonnet Tavern. Read some of the reviews and thought we would like the place. It is quaint, but it is like eating in someone's stone basement. No windows. The bar upstairs has windows and actually is quite attractive. They should look at moving the restaurant upstairs and the bar downstairs. The food was ho-hum. I ordered the lamb stew and there were 2 pieces (about the size of a quarter) of lamb in the stew. I am not sure it was lamb. It may have been beef as I have not seen lamb stringy. We were told by the waitress not to order the oyster pie as there were hardly any oysters in the pie. I guess the chef thinks that frugality is a good quality of a chef. My wife had the steak which was good, but nothing to get excited about. I would give the place 2 stars. Not anywhere near the 5 star rating that some have given it.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Richmond, Virginia
“A nice dinner in a very historic landmark.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

This establishment reeks of history. It was built on the only road connecting eastern Pennsylvania with the Ohio River and territories beyond, at the junction of the Old Forbes and Burd Roads (Routes 30 and 31). Colorful moments were shared when the tavern became a meeting place for the farmers involved in the Whiskey Rebellion. In mid-1794, Pennsylvania farmers, angered by the federal excise tax on whiskey, met here and raised a liberty pole in protest. Then in October 1794, troops summoned by President George Washington camped here on their westward journey to quell the insurrection. Now that the history lesson is over, now lets rate the restaurant.
Our meals were very good. The steak and the various meat cuts were exceedingly tender, juicy and well prepared. The service was helpful and accommodating. Love the history, love eating in a place that reeks of history, and enjoyed the atmosphere. The meals matched the atmosphere which were warm, cozy, and friendly. The 3 meals came to about $100.00 with no appetizer, no drinks and 2 desserts. A little pricey but worth it at least once.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
rancho palos verdes, ca
“Great place if you're not in a hurry”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

We quite enjoyed the food and atmosphere but were probably there for close to two hours for a 3 course meal. The place was packed. The staff was really running around and our waitress apologized a couple of times. She brought us a book of pictures of "ghostly apparitions" at the tavern.

The creamy tomato soup was delicious with bits of tomato and other veggies in it. My wife had the portobello mushroom sandwich and I had the french dip. Both excellent. We had a piece of their chocolate cake and thought it was good but not great. We'd be happy to eat there again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, PA
“Third time back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

We have stayed at the Bedford Springs Resort twice and found this to be a good nearby restaurant. Like the resort this is an historic building but even older. The actual date of the building is unknown but it is referred to in the 1750's according to the tavern's website. It was one of the sites where President George Washington established the central power of the federal government in 1794 when farmers here rebelled against paying taxes and Washington showed up with an army of 15,000. For comparison the colonial army that defeated the British was 20,000. Taxation WITH representation was something very different than without representation and Washington arrived here when it was one of the few buildings in the area on the only road in the area to make that point and to very deliberately make the point that nobody challenged the power of the elected central government. Check out 'whiskey rebellion' on Wikipedia for the details.

The building has been preserved well. The dining room on the first floor is original except for the floor (which used to be dirt) and the obvious modern additions like radiators and air conditioners.

I found the atmosphere here to be very informal. A plus for me since I don't like being fussed over but some will view it as too informal.

I thought the food was very good. I would give it a 4 out of 5. I prefer seafood and have not tried the steaks. The drinks were a 5 out of 5 for me but I prefer beer and they have a lot of interesting microbrews. I didn't try any of the standard mixed drinks. I did have one of their specialty coffees for dessert made with Bailey's and a few other liqueurs called 'the oatmeal cookie'. It was a great choice for dessert and did taste very much like an oatmeal cookie.

We liked the informal atmosphere and the food so much we came back for lunch the next day. The food is just as good as the resort and half the price. Very different and more informal atmosphere though.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook