“Lovely setting but mediocre, undercooked food” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 43 Restaurants in Bedford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Lovely setting but mediocre, undercooked food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband & I stopped by for lunch on the way from VA to PA. He ordered a 'medium' Bison Burger & I ordered a 'medium-well' Filet Tips Salad. The beef was tasty but several of the actual filet pieces were very seriously undercooked (very rare). The manager came to the table & said she would take "25% off the meat" with no further explanation. We didn't quite understand what was happening, as only $1.25 was deducted from our bill. When we checked the pricing on the menu as we were leaving, she approached us again & explained that the $11.00 salad price on the menu broke down to $5.00 for meat & $6.00 for the salad. The $1.25 that she deducted from our bill was for 25% of this $5.00 'meat' figure. When we laughed, she offered to credit my salad, which we had already paid for! It was a bit late for that. Incidentally, the salad doesn't come with a roll or bread & any sides with a burger (fries, etc.) are extra (a la carte). Not only will we not be back, we don't feel that this restaurant would get so many favorable reviews if it was located in an area that had more competition. The building & atmosphere is lovely but both the food & overall dining experience were very disappointing. We're still laughing at their grand ($1.25) gesture.

jbonn, Owner at Jean Bonnet Tavern, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback and an opportunity to have a teachable moment with our staff. I apologize first of all for not properly cooking the beef tips to your requested temperature. You then gave us an opportunity to correct our mistake and we didn't take advantage of your generosity to us. When you share a problem with management, it is the kindest thing you can do for a business. We will make sure that our young manager is more confident and comfortable enough to deal more successfully with issues in the future. We appreciate your visit and your review. We are sad to have left you with a negative impression.

Zeeland, MI
“Good food-a bit pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and I recently had dinner at Jean Bonnet Tavern. The food and service was good. We ate in the lower level which was interestingly decorated with antiques.

Visited October 2012
Bavington, Pennsylvania, United States
“Great timing, great dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

"There's a place along the turnpike that looks interesting," my wife answered when I inquired about dinner plans.
Well THAT narrows it down...
We live in the Pittsburgh area and she works from home for a Philadelphia area company so she is back and forth across the PA Turnpike several times a year. Now that our son is attending college out that way, the trips are even more frequent but now she's not alone, not always on the clock and we can explore a bit.
The two of us and our son's girlfriend were heading out on a Friday night from Pittsburgh eastbound and we passed a couple places that could have met her vague description but when we came upon the Jean Bonnet Tavern along Route 30 within view of the pike, I remembered it as well.
It was past peak dinner time so we only had to wait a few minutes for a table. The service was okay - not outstanding - and the atmosphere was VERY cool. I'm a history buff and wish I would've had time to look around.
My wife had a salad and some great soup and girlfriend and I had burgers that were outstanding. The dessert menu looked great, too, but we passed. It would be midnight before we arrived at our destination and if I overstuffed I would've needed some uppers.
If you're looking for a unique place to eat in the middle of nowhere (everywhere between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia is referred to as Pennsyltucky) this is an excellent choice. It will surely be packed during peak travel months/times but they do take reservations. Bedford is a more interesting place to stop than most and much less tacky than Breezewood to the east. We'll hit this place again, I'm sure!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Run the risk of overcrowding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We like the place. However, it can be overcrowded. They have trouble managing reservations and walk-ins. When crowded, the food and service suffer. They need more staff for peak times. The beer list is tending to wheats. Where are the former porters and lagers?

Visited October 2012
Virginia
“Fine food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We dined on a Wednesday evening. There was a bus group in attendance that almost filled the restaurant but after waiting a few minutes we were able to secure a table. The atmosphere in the lower floor is charming with lighted colonial candles on each table, stone walls, and large rustic beams on the ceiling.
Our waitress was cheerful and efficient. The menu was extensive and the portions just about right. In fact everything about the Tavern was just about right.

• Visited October 2012