“Disasterous Do NOT stay here- Cottage #4” 1 of 5 stars

You added Rock Park Cottages to your Saves list
Rock Park Cottages
3.5 of 5 Cottage   |   431 West 2nd Street, P.O. Box 77, Yachats, OR 97498   |
Corvallis, Oregon
“Disasterous Do NOT stay here- Cottage #4”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

First-- Adam and Christy appear to be nice people. This property is circa 1978 décor. Literally the book on the kitchen table had pages dated 1978. Upon opening the door there was a distinct mildew smell and we thought that airing it out would help. The couches, the draperies, the bedding, the carpeting-- all wreaking of mold and mildew. We managed to stay one night. 24hrs later our eyes were burning/watering and we had headaches. The bed mattress sagging mess with linens that did not smell right- I slept in my clothes. There were bunkbeds in our room that I would NEVER even think of putting children in. We brought our 2 senior dogs and literally used the clean sheets that Christy gave us to protect US from the furniture. The lamp in the living room had cobwebs on top. The panel had visible signs of mold, I can't even imagine what is under the carpet or behind the couches. I am really not sure what is going on with this property. This couple is unfortunately over their heads. We packed up, locked the door and drove back home after 24 hrs. For all of this we paid $196 cash for two nights. I want to make this clear that we are not environmentally sensitive, but we are in health care (RN and RT) and all I can say is that this place is a health hazard. I don't understand how anyone thinks that this place is ok. Adam and Christy, please do the right thing and get professional people in to take care of the fulminating mold. I think it is great that you "dropped out of the corporate world", but maybe someone needs to go back to make some money to support this property.

Room Tip: Stay away.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Ashland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I love to travel the Oregon coast and our favorite place to stay is the village of Yachats at Rock Park Cottages. This time we stayed in cabin #1 which has the best views and a private covered parking spot right next to the cabin. Everything is provided in the kitchen and we loved the old fashion open shelves for the dishes. We enjoyed having all the comforts of home, a kitchen, dinning table in farea and even a small living room. We thought the price is very reasonable - $80.00 per night for a couple (with no additional cleaning charge)

Adam and Kristy, are not only affable managers and hosts, they are also knowledgeable guides to Yachats activities and the surrounding area and they directed us to the back road trip up to the top of Cape Perpetual and where to find the local walking trails with views. AT the office we checked out a backgammon set and a large puzzle.

After hiking for miles along the beach, we whipped up a delicious seafood meal and settled down in our really comfortable bed, pulled up the cozy quilt and crashed for the night. What a pleasure to wake up again to the wonderful sound of the waves, and another relaxing day. We have truly found our little bit of heaven by the sea.

Room Tip: Ask managers Adam and Kristy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Sixty years exploring.
Gold Beach Oregon to Vancouver Island B.C.
Discovered a beautiful part of our World and the place to stay.
Rock Park Cottages, Yachats Oregon is hidden Treasure.
Step back in time, enjoy simple pleasures, making memory's and friends.
Vintage Cottage's lovingly cared for in original condition.
Wood interiors, beautiful patina with views of Pacific Ocean.
Walk to beach, town and Coastal trails with confidence in complete safety.
Owners/Care takers are gracious, giving with knowledge to guide your adventures.
Turn your back to the Ocean and Yachats River and Valley leads to rugged headlands and the Coast Range.
Check this Jewel out and enjoy.
Best to you and yours.
Page in Portland

Room Tip: Ask the owners. All rooms are great.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Seventeen years we have come to yachats and visited Virginia. This place is more than a hotel or lodge, it is family. When my first husband was dying we spoke to him of Rock Park and Yachats. That is how amazing our stays here have been.

If you want the Marriott, stay in Portland. This is homey, eclectic and coastal. So yes, a bit of damp smell is inherent. But that is the smell I long for...the smell of nature and the sea.

Adam is Virginia's grandson and he and his wife Kristy bring her love of people, her hospitality and area knowledge to your experience. They will remember you. They will spoil you. On the 4th of July they will feed you and entertain you.

Rock park is home to me. It is my home by the sea. I am glad the jet set doesn't care for it. I enjoy the real folks I meet here. I enjoy the quiet and compassion and welcome I get here.

• Stayed February 2013
Eugene, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

After renting houses on the beach for 20 years I finally found a lemon. When I walked through the door and was overwhelmed by the musty, moldy odor I should have turned around right then and asked for my money back.
I immediately opened the windows to let some air in the place when I discovered that every window sill was black with mold. The walls of the place were dark brown veneer that were warped from obvious moisture damage. There had been no attempt to make the decor cheerful and inviting. The furniture was old and shabby, the curtains hideous, the walls were mostly blank with a few incredibly lame attempts of art.
The beds were made with sheets that you could see through and there was not even a bottom fitted sheet, but a top sheet spread out over the mattress.
From the toilet paper to the watered down dish soap it was obvious that the owners were doing everything they could to spend as little money as possible on the place.
The only thing good about this place was the location which was not even fully taken advantage of.
Our place had an ocean view, if you were standing up or sitting at the table, the windows had cross bars on them and were not optimally placed. We usually don't mind if it's stormy and rainy at the beach because we like to be able to sit inside and watch the storms, but this was not possible, there was no comfortable seating where you could see outside. The sad thing is that the place has so much potential.
This is the only place I've ever stayed at on the coast that I will not return to. The yurts where we have stayed in the campgrounds have less mold than this place.
This place needs a lot of bleach and some serious updating.
Check out the photos, they speak for themselves.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Eugene, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

This is a great place to stay right next to the ocean that is relatively cheep and cozy. You can fall asleep with the sound of the waves crashing down on the beach and without the sound of a highway running through your house (which is my case where I live). I'm not usually one to write reviews, but me and my girlfriend stayed here for our anniversary last year and are definitely going back this year. I have read the other comments and (to the bad reviews) I think things have changed since we went there because the upkeep was great. Adam and Kristy were very inviting and even gave us a tour of the surrounding area. We have only stayed in Yachats 3 other times, but this has been the best place so far. =) cheers!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

No--don't stay here; we will have a harder time getting reservations! Just joking.

We have been coming to this clean, friendly, comfy motel for almost 40 years, and absolutely love it. The units are all slightly different--no cookie cutter here. The motel sits next to Rock Park, and is maybe 2 minutes from the beach. You will fall asleep to the sound of the ocean waves breaking on the rocks at the base of the park. There is also the A-frame, with a super wood stove and an ocean-view swing, that we treat ourselves to several times a year.

We love this place no matter what the weather--it is cozy in stormy weather and we settle in with a good book. There are books on the shelf if you have forgotten yours. Sunny outside--get out and walk the beach or climb on the rocks and watch the waves.

The young hosts are friendly and helpful, tho we do still miss the wonderful lady, Virginia, who was a welcome part of a stay at Rock Park for many years. We are so glad that this great place stayed in the family instead of being sold and built upon.

Want cookie cutter and high-end--skip Rock Park Cottages. Modern and up to date no, but that is not what we look for. Want to be able to just settle in and relax--this is your place.

Room Tip: The A-frame and Unit 1 have ocean views, and Unit 3 has a slight river view. Unit 5 is very small a...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Rock Park Cottages? Share your experiences!